Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Personal and Home Security in the Philippines

Personal and Home Security in the Philippines

Old Sep 14th 2015, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal and Home Security in the Philippines

Originally Posted by springsteen11
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies so far. I also agree with Stokkevn, I would prefer that approach than cower behind bars armed with pepper spray or whatever. However, I am committed here and if she feels safer in the way I described then that is the way it has to be. Gazza-d....where did you get the premise that the gf should be holding the air rifle if the worst came to the worse? I have spoken to the local PNP here and they reckon an air-rifle is not perceived as a weapon.

The other group I aired this on were less positive. Their consensus was that I should get out of here and move somewhere safer. Again, I am committed here as this where she wants to be. She is an ex-OFW and wants to be with here family. I understand and support her in that. If things get worse, I suspect she will be the one that wants to move, so I will wait and see.

Still thinking about a dog. It might be a last resort.... Again, we will see.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. They are all appreciated.

Take care all.

Regards

Pete M
Bite the bullet and get a dog, good at guarding your property and a good friend during those moments when the gf sends you to Coventry.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Gazza-d. It shows you cannot always trust the word of the PNP. If an air-rifle/pistol is classed as a firearm then my gf would have to go through the process of getting a licence which is long and laborious and can take months. And if that is the case, we may as well get a proper weapon. I think this idea is dead in the water.

Thanks again for your time, most appreciated.

Regards

Pete M
You Gf can have a firearm registered to her for in house protection. This does NOT mean you cannot use it in her defense inside the house where it is licensed. even if it is not licensed in your name.

Foreigners can get permits when sanctioned by NBI. This is rare and a clear case of direct threat must be evidenced. I know of one foreigner who does have a permit to carry in and out of the house supported by NBI endorsement following death threats.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
You Gf can have a firearm registered to her for in house protection. This does NOT mean you cannot use it in her defense inside the house where it is licensed. even if it is not licensed in your name.

Foreigners can get permits when sanctioned by NBI. This is rare and a clear case of direct threat must be evidenced. I know of one foreigner who does have a permit to carry in and out of the house supported by NBI endorsement following death threats.
I think if I felt that threatened that I had to get a license to carry I would move.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I think if I felt that threatened that I had to get a license to carry I would move.
To me it seems just a short term fix. You're just living on borrowed time.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

steve18 is an unknown quantity at this point

the answer is simple. get a gundog. one like madmax had lol
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Or one like this

Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-75596F4Cuw8/USFwbWHiS2I/AAAAAAAAC9g/Umu7n_PE9K0/s640/Guard%2BDog%2BBooks.jpg
Old Sep 25th 2015, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your contributions. Went looking for an air-pistol in Bacolod yesterday and fortunately could not find one. She is going off the idea now and hopefully that idea will be kicked into the long grass. People have remarked on our "CCTV cameras" so word will be getting around. Still awaiting Pepper Spray which will be here soon. Currently keep a can of WD 40 in my pocket to spray if necessary but when I get into a tricycle it sometimes goes off leaving suspicious stains on the front of my shorts!

So, no further alarms or concerns. Dog is also on the back-burner.

All good now. Thanks again all. Any further thoughts always welcome.

TC All

Pete M
Old Sep 25th 2015, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Dog is also on the back-burner.
Hope that is not in the literal sense.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Hope that is not in the literal sense.
I'm sure they improve if slow cooked.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

steve18 is an unknown quantity at this point

some solar powered intruder lights set in the darker corners will help. I use them here and they work quite well even in the winter time
Old Sep 26th 2015, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steve18
some solar powered intruder lights set in the darker corners will help. I use them here and they work quite well even in the winter time
I have always worried about intruder lights, can't have them anyway because of the dogs. But at 03:00 hrs who is going to be around to see them come on and at that time of the morning their only advantage is to assist whoever is breaking in from tripping over stuff lying around your garden.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have always worried about intruder lights, can't have them anyway because of the dogs. But at 03:00 hrs who is going to be around to see them come on and at that time of the morning their only advantage is to assist whoever is breaking in from tripping over stuff lying around your garden.
My consern would having the lights stolen. would be great for lighting someone's nipa hut.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

We have exterior lights already fitted, plus the bars on the windows as previously mentioned. Like Stokkevn, I wonder about the logic behind the lights but somehow feel safer with them on. Guess its because if there is a noise outside then I do not need a torch to go out and investigate.

Had a call from the owner last night who works in Saudi (normally deal with his wife) and he kept stressing how we need to be ultra careful around here. He certainly emphasised the point. He rang mainly on another matter which I will post later on my Sipalay thread. It wasn't good and puts a question mark about my gf and my stay here.

TC

Pete M
Old Sep 27th 2015, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Had a call from the owner last night who works in Saudi (normally deal with his wife) and he kept stressing how we need to be ultra careful around here. He certainly emphasised the point. He rang mainly on another matter which I will post later on my Sipalay thread. It wasn't good and puts a question mark about my gf and my stay here.

Pete M
Having lived in some of the Worlds most dangerous/unsafe places, most are what you make it. Here I am locally known as the poor rich man I live in one of the biggest houses in the village but I never wear jewelry ( never have ), don't wear a watch ( no point I'm retired and can be where I like when I like ) and am generally the worst dressed person in the local market as I feel comfortable like that. Never felt threatened beyond the local drunk asking for 5 peso for his next glass which on a totally random time scale I buy them a bottle or two, they, like my dogs, are very protective of their source of alcohol ( food ).
Old Sep 29th 2015, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Bazza070958 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Personal and Home Security in the Philippines

Having lived in some of the Worlds most dangerous/unsafe places, most are what you make it. Here I am locally known as the poor rich man I live in one of the biggest houses in the village but I never wear jewelry ( never have ), don't wear a watch ( no point I'm retired and can be where I like when I like ) and am generally the worst dressed person in the local market as I feel comfortable like that. Never felt threatened beyond the local drunk asking for 5 peso for his next glass which on a totally random time scale I buy them a bottle or two, they, like my dogs, are very protective of their source of alcohol ( food ).
Thats exactly why I want to move next year ..... similar outlook similar thoughts too..... helps that I'm 6'4" and 20 stone plus hehehehehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.