Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal from Pilippines

Passport renewal from Pilippines

Old May 5th 2013, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal from Pilippines

As the new passport will be biometric, it is worth the small fee for countersignature. Especially bearing in mind the courier fees.

a renewal of a passport if your appearance has changed and you can’t be recognised from your existing passport
Ten years is a long time, after all. Plus the courier fees are not cheap. It also constitutes proof that you are extant. For P200 or less, well worth it. My appearance hasn't changed much, but that might not be the opinion of the person processing your application. My view is: 'Better safe; than sorry!" Especially when you have an ACR ID coming up for renewal.

When over the counter transactions were available (prior to ACR ID cards), using your foreign Debit/Credit card. A Xerox of the information page of a non-expired passport was a mandatory requirement.
Old May 6th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok fair point although i have lost that George Clooney look i more or less look the same as 10 years ago just more grumpy. So if i ask my wife to countersign she will want a monkey so i,m joking i will go find a doctor i,ve never met and pay him 200 peso, yes your heart is in the right place but my photo is not far off 10 years ago unlike when we were teenagers . And for me i have The PRA id so no need ACR., But bless you anyway and stay indoors until after the elections
Old May 6th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

As for myself people I went to primary school with can still recognise me. However with the new biometric passport I won't take a chance. The latest passport has a chip in it (not the edible kind).
I get my daughter's pediatrician to sign mine, and also any certificate of existence. He has known me for over ten years, and has prescribed for me also. It is always good to have a second opinion from a doctor, that you are still alive. After all they are the experts in that matter.
With passport photos, it seems that it is mainly women that have the problem of photo rejection. Hair colouring and style, altering the appearance.
As for me I take no chances. The passport still being a very important document. I do not like to be without it. Even if it spends its life locked away.

Other people can countersign your photo, Bank Manager, Parish Priest, I am sure that Mother Superior's signature from my daughter's school, wouldn't be rejected.
Old May 8th 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
As for myself people I went to primary school with can still recognise me. However with the new biometric passport I won't take a chance. The latest passport has a chip in it (not the edible kind).
I get my daughter's pediatrician to sign mine, and also any certificate of existence. He has known me for over ten years, and has prescribed for me also. It is always good to have a second opinion from a doctor, that you are still alive. After all they are the experts in that matter.
With passport photos, it seems that it is mainly women that have the problem of photo rejection. Hair colouring and style, altering the appearance.
As for me I take no chances. The passport still being a very important document. I do not like to be without it. Even if it spends its life locked away.

Other people can countersign your photo, Bank Manager, Parish Priest, I am sure that Mother Superior's signature from my daughter's school, wouldn't be rejected.
Ok thanks i know you cant eat the chip [ i did try ] . Maybe you could ask Mother Superior to sign mine although i think better you let her know i,m an Atheist first. I,ll ask my 8 year old to sign , its cheaper for something i don't need .
Old Dec 9th 2013, 4:21 am
Just Joined

Boater is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Sorting out how to renew my passport is not a problem but the very high cost is.
Renewal in the UK is £72.50.
Renewal by Hong Kong is £147.86 Plus.
I can not see why there is a difference of £75.36.
The cost of sending mail by courier to the UK is about £15 to 20.
British Embassy Hong Kong will I'm sure use the Diplomatic bag, cost, £0.
Anyone got any information on where the extra money goes?
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

funding the costs of the diplomatic service overseas is the simple answer. There is insifficent funding from direct taxes so they make the shortfall up with indirect taxes called fees
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:28 am
Just Joined

ramboyd is an unknown quantity at this point

you cannot process in Hong Kong any longer, but you can do it online.Go to british embassy manila and you will find application form.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

wayne42 is an unknown quantity at this point

If your Brit passport has lets say 8 months left and you apply from here and you are a long term tourist in the R.P.. You send them your passport and other required docs etc and wait 3/4 months or longer.
How do you renew your visa at B.I without your passport?
What is the remedy if these precious documents never arrive or are lost in the UK or en route?
I have a feeling the answer is ...you are screwed.
Its such a travesty that the "British embassy" is now only a cash receiving office for visa`s and cannot offer even basic passport services to its citizens.
Rant over.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

No need to go to the Embassy all the necessary actions are done online.

In response to wayne42 suggest you get all relevant pages in passport photocopied and notarized. If in doubt phone the Embassy for guidance (LOL)
Old Nov 26th 2014, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wayne42
If your Brit passport has lets say 8 months left and you apply from here and you are a long term tourist in the R.P.. You send them your passport and other required docs etc and wait 3/4 months or longer.
How do you renew your visa at B.I without your passport?
What is the remedy if these precious documents never arrive or are lost in the UK or en route?
I have a feeling the answer is ...you are screwed.
Its such a travesty that the "British embassy" is now only a cash receiving office for visa`s and cannot offer even basic passport services to its citizens.
Rant over.
Rant completely justified. Its a complete mess really. In the old days you could go to the consulate and even though they said minimum 6 weeks you could usually get it renewed in 1 or 2 weeks if you begged and smiled nicely. Now you send off your precious travel document having no real idea when you will get your new passport and the old one back. The delays in the summer were horrendous with it taking 5 or 6 months in some cases.

These idiots do not realize that in this day and age people travel around quite often and to be without ones passport for 6 months is completely unacceptable. Yes I know that in a emergency you can always get an emergency travel document but it costs money (on top of the extortionate passport and courier fees) and creates its own difficulties as its only valid or a single trip and many countries will not accept it so it is really only good for going back to the UK.

If you are planning a trip to UK within the last 3 years of your passport, whether running out of pages or expiring, then you would be well advised to use the Passport Office Premium Service whereby you can get your passport renewed in 4 hours. You have to make an appointment in advance at any of the various passport offices. I did mine last year using this service and it was well worth it. There was no way that I could have been with my passport for even a week. Its actually cheaper (excluding airfares of course) than the courier service (don't use an agent as its very expensive).
Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Boater is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
At the time my rant was justified but as I didn't need to renew at the time I just left it for a while and when I did need to renew lo and behold a total change by the British Passport Authority.
You can do it on line, the form is simple, easy to fill in and it only costs £100 +.
It takes a while, about 6 weeks, but no problems at all.
One Happy Boater