Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Online card remittance security

Online card remittance security

Old Jun 28th 2016, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Online card remittance security

I'd be interested to know if any of you have come across the problem of not very intelligent security systems on online remittance transactions?

Had a remittance transaction denied this morning - if we don't contact you ring this 0845 number etc etc It's just that previously I usually made one transaction a month of 1000 pounds or so - but now the payment dates of my two pensions are starting to diverge. One is always paid at the end of each month and another one comes every 4 weeks. So just lately two remittance transactions were needed within a week or so, as a week ago we needed money right away.

At first it looks like Lloyds Bank's system is rightly suspicious of that - but, hang on, the amounts of each transaction are about half of the amount when I typically made just one monthly remittance. So you might think it would take that into account?

On top of that the card transaction is to another bank with its own security measures - so you would think that lowers the risk of something fraudulent going on? A long history of transactions too.

A few years ago I had the same problem with a fairly large online remittance transaction - that was fair enough. But these days my forex transactions are relatively small.

Luckily I have another way to do the remittance.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online card remittance security

I have in the past made a couple of remittances from Nationwide to BPI within a few hours and not had a problem.Sometimes the banks computers throw a wobbly!
Was it to the same account or different ones? I could, to some extent, understand if it was different accounts but not if it was the same.Just check that the 0845 number is definitely your originating bank - just in case!
Old Jun 29th 2016, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

It's been the same account for nearly a year, before I also used another account. If I was in the UK I'd ring them up, but that's a lot of bother from here.

I could understand it if it were a purchase - and it would have been an expensive one. But when it's a remittance through a bank, done on a regular basis..?

Sometimes the Lloyds system authorises the transaction straight away - at other times it asks you for full card details, even though one has already given most of them to the PNB, who do the remittance.

Then this time it denied it. It seems one just has to watch out one is not changing one's normal use too much, so it is good when that is the case to be able to use the excellent BPI STAR account and its Expressonline remittance service, which doesn't need a card. Have had just one or two "wobblies" with their computer system in the past. A bit more often with the PNB's.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

The only time i have any kind of problem is if I try and make a one off payment from my Nationwide account say to my friends account. Then it asks me to use my card reader to generate the security code. i've no problems with this but I've never had a problem with my regular transfers even if the values vary. I agree that the BPI STAR is very good. I transfer from Nationwide to BPI STAR then via BPI online when I need to transfer here. Works like a dream 99% of the time - well , until I forget and try doing it at 10.00pm here! that's maintenance on BPI.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I used to run a Nationwide Card and their online service was very good. I think the amount of maintenance downs of the BPI Expressonline is the only negative thing about their service.Apart from around 10pm here, it's also down most days in the early morning.

I find the Lloyds online banking is really good too, only this Lloyds Clicksafe which seems to be just a Lloyds name on a service which does security checking for Visa (verified by Visa) and Mastercards. But I don't know if they security check all Visa and Mastercards or if there are differences in the checks for different card issuers.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Did it again last night Raffin! Tried to log onto BPI online at 10.15pm! Oh, stoopid me! Every now and then if buying online then Nationwide site refers me to "Verified by Visa" to complete the purchase. Better safe than sorry.Had it once when using my Mastercard credit card as well. Suppose it depends on the banks security algorithm.