Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Moving to the philippines ! help

Moving to the philippines ! help

Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the philippines ! help

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They do?!? Bit daft to considering how easily things can be checked and how most industries are fairly small and incestuous in the UK. If caught, word would get around fairly quickly.
Years ago I had a lead engineer apply for a position in my company. CV looked brilliant until I spotted a job description from a project in South America that was actually my position for the period when I was there. Surprisingly he never got the job.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

javsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond repute

hahah well people do not sure what america is like but her in the u.k people do and they get away with it if they can back up their claims.. i just want to make this clear i am not going to do this its just something i was thinking what would stop someone you can all look at my C.V if you like and contact whoever haha although your not hiring me i was just curious.
off Topic somebody said it took 3 months to get a SWP is this true i would of thought maybe even longer. and what happens if it takes that long. Would the company even be willing to wait i know each company is different im just trying to get a broad view of the situation and also there are alot of indians in the Philippines how do they get work their.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

javsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond reputejavsezlol has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry just thought of another question. If i leave here to the philippines and i book a return (which obviously i need) and i decide that i want to stay there past my flight date can i just extend my visa or do i have to of booked a flight already
Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by javsezlol
Sorry just thought of another question. If i leave here to the philippines and i book a return (which obviously i need) and i decide that i want to stay there past my flight date can i just extend my visa or do i have to of booked a flight already
You can extend your visa easily for up to 3 years as previously explained. you need a ticket out of the Phils in order to board the plane in UK as the airline has to pay if you get refused entry. If you do book a return then make sure it is refundable, or can be altered to a different date for a small fee. The alternative is to book a single AND book a cheapy flight out of the Phils at some future date - Kota Kinabula is often cited as the cheapest flight from here - google Cebu Pacific Air to get an idea of costs.(you don't need to use it of course!)

That's a very good idea to build up a portfolio of work , the more the merrier - especially of different types. Funnily, I also do digitising for embroidery as my wife is a keen quilter and has had a few different embroidery machines over the years but it fell to me to do the digitising! Don't do much these days tho'.

Re your comment regarding Indians here - I see hardly any here in Cebu and those that are here will be here on Alien Employment Permits or are working in a PEZA zone , or are married to Filipinas. There are many more Chinese, Japanese and Koreans than Indians.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 2:22 am
Just Joined

codermonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Never saw any Indians in phils, saw Chinese, Koreans, Swedes, Americans, and British.

Unskilled Indians would not be better at English or other skills and would therefore get beaten out of jobs by the locals.

Skilled Indians might be able to land a job, but you tend to see them more in places like Singapore.

Many Filipinos prefer lighter skin, this does give Caucasian westerners a little bit of status, the Indians don't get the same status boost.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

sorry y wording is terrible ... ill try again haha too go too the philippines i have to have a return ticket you cannot go on a one way ticket they will refuse you entry .... you must have a return ticket... what i want to know is if i extend my visa which i am going to do , past the initial 30 day period do i HAVE to buy a outbound flight to extend the visa?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 2:30 am
Just Joined

codermonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

No the visa extension does not require proof of an exit date or an exit ticket.

Two reasons for this which have been mentioned already :

1. You can renew for up to 3 years and each extension is typically 3 months, so they never know when you will leave on extension typically.

2. The onward ticket is a criteria of the airline so they don't get into trouble with immigration when you land. Its not a requirement of immigration once you've got your initial visa on arrival.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

You do NOT have to have a return ticket

You need a ticket to leave the Philippines, the destination does NOT have to be back to where you departed from

So a one way ticket to the Philippines and another ticket to somewhere else.

If you have a member of staff at check in telling you it is a return ticket tell them you have an onward ticket, this will be what they expect to see and show it to them. Stand your ground and ask to speak to a senior manager if they look like they are not going to help.

The onward ticket is regarded as a cheap throw away, as you will probably not use it etc

Go on line to any of the Asean carriers flying out of Manila and see just how cheap some of those tickets can be. Cebu pacific, Philippine air lines , Asiana, just google budget carriers Philippines etc

I have picked up return tickets, Manila to Bangkok for 4, each costing the equivalent of £80 each.

You need to do a lot more personal research.

Last edited by mikemike; Mar 18th 2018 at 2:40 am.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

That is a very good idea but its only 357 return and less hassle i will check that out thou if it makes it cheaper then yea thats a winner ! im sorry im annoying with all the question i think the last question i can think of for now is how do i open a bank account there And when i do (if possible) can i transfer money between my uk bank to philippines save on exchange fees ect
Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

I just checked flights a one way is more expensive than a return HAHAHAH the world is mad.....
Old Mar 18th 2018, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Simon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

hahah well people do not sure what america is like but her in the u.k people do and they get away with it if they can back up their claims.. i just want to make this clear i am not going to do this its just something i was thinking what would stop someone you can all look at my C.V if you like and contact whoever haha although your not hiring me i was just curious.
off Topic somebody said it took 3 months to get a SWP is this true i would of thought maybe even longer. and what happens if it takes that long. Would the company even be willing to wait i know each company is different im just trying to get a broad view of the situation and also there are alot of indians in the Philippines how do they get work their.
It takes 3 months to get the 9G work visa. But you can work whilst this is being processed:
First you need to get yourself a TIN number (Tax number).
Then you apply for a Special Work Permit or Provisional Work Permit and an Alien Employment Permit.
Once you have these you can apply for the 9G visa.

The Special/Provisional Work Permit is valid for 3 months I think and it designed to cover you for the period it takes for the 9G to be processed (so that you can legally work in the country).

In the time it takes for the 9G visa to be processed you will be on a tourist visa so will need to extend your stay after 30 days and until the 9G is processed.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

That is a very good idea but its only 357 return and less hassle i will check that out thou if it makes it cheaper then yea thats a winner ! im sorry im annoying with all the question i think the last question i can think of for now is how do i open a bank account there And when i do (if possible) can i transfer money between my uk bank to philippines save on exchange fees ect
where are you getting 357 return?
Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

As for bank accounts if you go through the archives here you will find a lot of info on this subject. I use BPI on line. They have a branch in Earls Court London. Open an account there, if you can pop in it would be more helpful. On line transfer is not expensive and is immediate. We use it and draw cash here with the ATM card. When you get here take your BPI details to your local BPI branch and ask to open linked accounts.
BPI= Bank Of the Philippine Islands, widespread domestic network
Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
China Southern do it for that and less but you have to add on taxes, Malaysian used to be even cheaper but I think they are back up to normal prices again.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

In response to codermonkey. There are plenty of Indians in the Philippines most of them are in the money lending business. There is even a Sikh temple about 3 Kms from my residence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.