Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Moving to Manila from the UK - Shipping

Moving to Manila from the UK - Shipping

Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Bully08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Manila from the UK - Shipping

I am moving to manila soon and I am looking for the best way to send the belongings over. Advice/contact details of shipping companies would be much appreciated

Cheers
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Scorpion17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Manila from the UK - Shipping

Originally Posted by Bully08
I am moving to manila soon and I am looking for the best way to send the belongings over. Advice/contact details of shipping companies would be much appreciated

Cheers
Hi,

Try a company called "Trico Shipping" in north london. Their no. is 0208 8888 787. It's not a big company but I think they are quite good if you want to send heavy things. They charge by volume, not by weight.

Good luck!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Farochilen in London an old established company that will also send smaller packages.

Allfreight in Surrey.

Unless you have a 13A visa you will have to pay import duty on arrival.
The container is delivered, and it is normal for an agent to watch you break the seal and unload the contents. Mainly to ensure that a car or motorbike has not been illegaly imported.
Both the above have employees and part owners of the company in Manila.
Old May 24th 2008, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Southseastrader is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bully08

Cheers
Dont bring too much thats valuable and steal able , and anyway things are so cheap here no need to bring stuff excpt personl and special things.If you hae time and know of a filipno near you in UK ask him if he can send your stuff via Balikbayan no customs or inspection and very efficient..
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Johnny T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Im John,
A little word of advice, i moved here from uk at xmas time and i decided to send 6 large boxes of my personal belongings by air( which is cheaper than sea by the way), i decided i would collect the shipment myself from customs manila airport..Big mistake. This is where i found out how corrupt and rotten this country can be, just driving to the airport to collect my goods i was stopped twice in my car by traffic cops and fined 40 quid. But that was just the start. Arriving at the customs i was approached by "fixers" these are people that get things done for you because philippines has a great way of making things very difficult. To collect my belongings which included items of clothing, a computer, books, music, cooking utensils, just personal stuff, i was dragged through 18 different steps over 5 hours, until finally i was given my things which i had to pay a bribe of wait for it.. 200 quid. What a bad day.
Ask yourself this question. Do i really need this stuff.
Or.. If you know a filipino u can trust take them with u. That will help.
Johnny

Last edited by Johnny T; Jun 26th 2008 at 1:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Southseastrader is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Johnny T
Hi Im John,
A little word of advice, i moved here from uk at xmas time and i decided to send 6 large boxes of my personal belongings by air( which is cheaper than sea by the way), i decided i would collect the shipment myself from customs manila airport..Big mistake. This is where i found out how corrupt and rotten this country can be, just driving to the airport to collect my goods i was stopped twice in my car by traffic cops and fined 40 quid. But that was just the start. Arriving at the customs i was approached by "fixers" these are people that get things done for you because philippines has a great way of making things very difficult. To collect my belongings which included items of clothing, a computer, books, music, cooking utensils, just personal stuff, i was dragged through 18 different steps over 5 hours, until finally i was given my things which i had to pay a bribe of wait for it.. 200 quid. What a bad day.
Ask yourself this question. Do i really need this stuff.
Or.. If you know a filipino u can trust take them with u. That will help.
Johnny
THIS is the 3rd world and all things that are normal in your life in FIRST world dont apply..dont give up, when you know how things work the philippines can be delightful.Manilla is NOT the best place to discover this, come on down to Palawan where things are more like Sussex in 1950..I have to pinch myself daily to see if im alive in Heaven or Dead there..dont get the ex pats habit of badmouthing thse folks get to know em...i went down dark alley in manilla one morning and the street folk there asked me to share their meagre breakfast, and these guys sleep and live in their pedal trikes...dont give up..Love these folk but not their gov or systems..wait till you try the immigration office..wowee hell has nothing like it, but we got thru it.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Johnny T is an unknown quantity at this point

I know what you are saying, but i have a rough time of it, i just sacked my maid for stealing money, i was robbed in daylight in Robinsons!! But, yes i understand that manila is different, i have also experienced generosity from the poor here, but i think manila turns goos people bad, do you agree?
Yes immigration.. i have a 9G work Visa, and it was probably the closest to hell that i have been, the immigration lawyer was not the happiest of guys until there was some talk of a bribe, so a couple of hundred quid down and we are now best friends!! all happy and joking..lol but i thought as i walked out of his office, ok im out of pocket but i have a 9g work visa, rare as hourse sh*t!!
Im jealous of you living in Palawan, it may be possible for me to have my business run itself here in manila and live in Palawan.
Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Bully08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your advice, got sorted with Forex and all the boxes are going balikbayan. I will just have to wait and see what it is like when I arrive.