Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Moving to Manila with my daughter- HELP

Moving to Manila with my daughter- HELP

Old May 14th 2016, 10:29 am
Just Joined

harrygrey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Manila with my daughter- HELP

Hey everyone.

I am moving to manila in December with my daughter and partner. She is going to study in a Philippine University and I am going to complete me degree online with the open university. We will hopefully be staying in Quezon city or Makati.

We are both relatively young, I am 21 and she is 24 but my main worry is my daughters health. We have lived in the Philippines before but only for 6 months and my daughter was not born yet.

My main worry is the dengue fever or about how hot the weather will be.

My partner tells me not to worry but I dont want to go if there is any risks.

Any advice would be welcomed.

thank you
Old May 14th 2016, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Manila with my daughter- HELP

Dengue is really a bad flu for adults and the healthy, for the very young and the ancient it can be a bit more serious.

Mosquitoes only travel about 150m so the best is to ensure that there are no breeding grounds in the locality of your accommodation. There are anti-mosquito patches you can buy, especially for kids ( see ebay or Amazon ), these are placed on their bedding and cloths. If you do not live in an air conditioned house/flat ensure that there is a fan directed over the kid. If you are going to live in an apartment make sure it is (UK) 1st floor or above - in my house the front porch does have some mossi traffic but the veranda upstairs rarely sees one.

Usual instructions - avoid standing water and areas with bad sanitation, ensure the kid has a high intake of vitamin B ( Marmite amongst other things { eaten, not smeared on } is a good source ) and try to keep her indoors at dawn and dusk, long sleeve & light coloured clothing etc. Dengue mossis come out during the day, the ones with the other nasty diseases come out at night.

Best professional advise you will find on the WHO, NHS, webmd or some other web site, the above is purely from my personal experience.