moveing to philippines

Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Re: moveing to philippines

But IMO it's a different kettle of fish living in a non-christian place such as Iraq, Iran or Lebanon than it is in places like Malaysia. Not only are the former staunch muslim, and home to a lot of radical movements, but significant groups also have an axe to grind against the West. The UAE has an example has no such problems and I actually felt safer there walking around at night, even at 2am, than I would walking round what can be perceived as safe christian countries. Back streets of Manchester, Birmingham or London at that time, no thanks. I equally felt more than happy in both Jordan and even Syria. So personally the make up of Malaysia in that regard is not a concern and it's positives outweigh some of the more negative aspects of the Philippines (e.g. poverty, crime, corruption, the food and less multi-culturalism).

There is also the issue that many of the atrocities that people fear and which are perpetrated by muslim fanatics are actually carried out in non-muslim countries. In the end I think it's about what an individual is looking for in a 'new home' and where satisfies their needs better, taking into account the other contextual issues including what they see as risks and how they choose to mitigate them (e.g. not live there, avoidance of certain areas etc). Statistically I'm not convinced the threat in Malaysia is an issue to be bothered about. I would however be more concerned about crime levels in the Philippines and would feel some what constrained as to where I lived given the numerous comments about the problem. Living in gated expat communities does not appeal at all. The concern over the statistically more prevalent exposure to crime (some of it violent with robberies etc) would thus be greater for me than some potential threat based on religious conflict which has as yet to even break out.

Now I've not been to the Philippines at all yet and the negatives I mention are based on research, I will still come to check it out though. No-one can decide for you on these forums but I do think the experiences of others are useful. Places on a short list still need to be visited to check them out. That said, my feelings on South Africa for example are based purely on research but I still know I have no interest in even going for a look, much less to live there.

Last edited by Atilla; Feb 9th 2011 at 7:56 am.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:44 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you really should check out the Philippines if you can. Like you said, only so much you can learn from the internet. There's a lot of expats living in the 'Peens so it cannot be so bad, if you think about it.

That's great that you are checking out all these countries though - thorough research.

Gated communities I think are common to most countries out this way though, aren't they? I know the 'Peens have them. When I lived in Thailand we were on gated. It's an extra layer of security - quite good idea I think. I think you've always got to assume there's some crime out there, anywhere, even if it doesn't look like there is.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Everywhere has crime. It's the level and type that's important, statistically proven where possible, not just perception or scare mongering. It's all a matter of individual decision in the end. My whole working life has been centred around security and such issues in many parts of the world so I'm fairly well versed in what is and what is not a real threat and what I'm prepared to accept or not
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

GEORGE00909 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: moveing to philippines

hi folks,
Ive just joined the site, and allready im in a bit of a delema, I met a beautifull lady from the asian dating site, and we hit it of right away, since then we have sent emails back and forth, it has been alittle while now, and im feeling that I would like to move beside her and eventualy get married, the problem is she is 59yo and im 65yo,so it would only for retirement not for work or starting a business, she lives in leyte burauen near tacloban city,, can someone please give me sound advice on how to go about this, as there seems to be alot of conflicting stories, I know all about the family thing and giving loans and such, but one piece of advice I was given is if you do give a small loan to a member of the family make them work for it, but you do have the right not to give, which you can make clear to your wife,,my real worry is medical as Im diabetic diet related only tabs no insulin and also I have hearing aids,, which my girl friend said it dosn,t matter about any of my problems, and she also promissed to look after me when I arrived there,and not to worry,,,but Im affraid that I am, after reading all the conflicting stories.
and the problems have to leave even when your married,, so desperate for some good advice,,,,thanks alot in advance,,,,,,,george.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Dear George, good to see that you read these forums and take in the advice. Some of it will apply to you and some won't. The only way to find out is to visit your lady and try the water so to speak.
I've seen Leyte, its not a large place and not many commercial outlets.
Have a holiday here with your lady, see how many family members there are and get to meet them ALL. You will be able to calculate your financial support and think about where you can settle down.
Loves is blind at all ages and we can make mistakes very easily. There are many many fish in the sea in the Philippines and some one here will take good care of you, Filipino wives are the best in the world but you need lots of patience.

Take my advice and keep your messages on the light side without any promises, just friendly.
Decisions can be made later after your visit
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:15 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it, George Life's too short. Usual sensible advice from Sunnydays. I bet you'll love it there.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Sunny Days has given good advice, and Leyte is a safe place in the Visayas (central). It does however tend to cop the typhoons, and also the odd earthquake. My wife's friend of many years is always over there, and her husband comes from there. I knew a Filipina in UK who was from there, and had relatives there. Not many bad words were spoken about it.
Mindanao the Western part it is recommended by the Embassy not to go.
I do not live in a gated community, but there are distinct advantages to it. Vendors etc are kept out.
I am part of the community here, obviously a bit strange to the locals in some ways. Mad dogs and Englishmen! However I like to be part of the community. I drive here, though not all foreigners want to. An Australian was willing to drive on Leyte, but not Cebu.
There is as BakedBean said plenty of advice on here, and details by myself and others, about how to obtain residency, and the cost. We are all speaking from knowledge. If anyone gave bad information, it would be jumped on for sure. We all have something to add.
Ask about banking nearer the time, as there have been a lot of changes. If you are with HSBC you will have little worries, with regard to new rules.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Dear George,
There is a website for "Mercury Drug" who are a nationwide drug store in the Philippines. You may see your tabs on the site and get the cost. Your hearing aids you could "Google" and find support for them here or bring spares with you.
Diabetes is very common in the Philippines, they seem to have a sweet tooth and put sugar into just about everything including bread which is fine for toast and Marmalade but not meat/salad sandwiches
We found "Gardenia" whole wheat bread thick sliced after many mistakes and that's not too bad

ps must thank you George for your input on the forum because it helps other readers and provides useful information.......maybe it could persuade more retirees to choose the Philippines
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mercurydrug.com/drugsearch/index.html

The "French Baker" found in SM sells bread to the European taste. In several varieties.
I would also recommend that you pack a couple of can openers. With the bottle cap opener on one leg.

The pasalubo is traditional here. So maybe a few small gifts for some relatives.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

GEORGE00909 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: moveing to philippines

hi all,
thanks alot for the advice recieved, in regards to moving to the phillipines,I have since spoke to the lady in question and have aggreed to take things easy to begin with,,but we have arranged for me to go over in the summer for 2 to 3 weeks to meet her and her family,and she has assured me that I will be well looked after when I arriveso again thank you all who left a message it was very much appreciated,,will let you all know how it goes at a later date,,,,,,,,,,,,,,george.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

After a lot of thought and consideration, I have decided to bring plans forward, and make my move to The Philippines! - 'Goodbye Dubai, Hello Manila!' I have no qualms whatsover with moving there! There are places that you do not go to; just like any other City in the World!

I have spent a lot of time in The Philippines over the last seven or eight years, and have some good friends and colleagues there also. I fell in love with the place on my first visit, and yearn for my Annual Leave there.

My Head Office in the UK decided to close the Dubai Branch a couple of months ago. This evening, I have just locked my office, and handed-over the keys. This last process was like a 'Blessed Release!' I fly to Manila on Saturday Morning, to begin another New Chapter.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, the Philippines has that homely feel about it, I was holidaying in Japan and was running short of funds so decided to call into Manila to finish off my holiday more economically. My cousin in the UK ha married a Filipino and I was curious about life here.
I was introduced to the Swagman Hotel in Manila and from there to their hotel in Pampanga, .......never looked back
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

elena136 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by apd2261975
hi, i was hopeing someone can give me some advice on where to live in the philippines.Ive just divorced and want to try somewhere else and understand the pace of life and living costs are appealing.im 35 and will have modest income from a rental property in uk so wont be looking for work as i understand wages are very low.

any help would be appreciated

kind regards
Hi I'm from Philippines but living in the Uk...Philippines is a beautiful country ..I recommend to visit Boracay, Palawan, Cebu and Subic. To live there is quite cheap (food, clothing, house rental and beer) People are very friendly and they can communicate in english. But beware in crowded places because there are some few pick pocket, so i advice you not to put your wallet at the back pocket of your jeans...Philippines is a tropical and loads of Island to visit and people are always welcoming and happy,I hope you will enjoy your stay in the Philippines!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by apd2261975
hi, i was hopeing someone can give me some advice on where to live in the philippines.Ive just divorced and want to try somewhere else and understand the pace of life and living costs are appealing.im 35 and will have modest income from a rental property in uk so wont be looking for work as i understand wages are very low.

any help would be appreciated

kind regards
Dear "bar code",
At age 35 you could jump from the frying pan into the fire very easily in the Philippines. Your modest income from a rental property and eventual income from the state pension (if u contribute) will provide a nice comfortable future if you choose a partner from here to live with.
Just as the Devorced/separated group is a minefield in the UK the same applies here and you need to be very cautious because its a one way street.
Lovely place to live, no more chilly weather and pleasant people (usually).
Best thing to do is just travel and find your feet first, make no promises to ladyfriends you meet because they can assume so much by a kindly foreigner (if you are kind that is).
Join the forum or at least read the "Yahoo Brit Club" it provides all sorts of useful info and personal experiences.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

This is the link to the Brit club..
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cebu_britclub/

It’s easy to live here happily and economically, many of the foreigners are retirees and happy to live out their lives with all mod cons and a new partner.
However at an age of 35you will need something to occupy your time and keep you busy in the Philippines. Perhaps you have a skill that you can pass onto others and do it voluntarily.
The prospect of doing the “TEFL” course in the UK prior to coming here may seem daunting but would be an asset to use in the schools and many extra tuition groups.
If you are a sportsman then teaching Kids on the field would be useful.
My wife and I are not educators but whilst our place was being built we spent some time with a “Tutorial group” and helped out with the instructors. It was a fun time for us and believe me very tiring. We had them singing and playing games (educational of course). We helped as judges in times of marking English papers and made VIPs for Christmas parties. …..most important you get to meet the ordinary Filipinos and make contacts.

With the TEFL qualification you could visit Japan or Korea and be welcomed with open arms and be paid well. The Japanese have a problem with pronunciation, they know the words and can understand but it’s the speaking that gives them problems. You can see that it is not necessary to know the foreign language, simply to help with pronouncing the words…..think of the fun you can have with that !! Of course a normal UK accent would be desirable, cannot have a Japanese with a Brum or Yorkshire accent??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.