Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Car ownership and LTO on Balikbayan

Car ownership and LTO on Balikbayan

Old Jun 9th 2017, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car ownership and LTO on Balikbayan

When we make the final full time move to Fils later this year, I will probably opt to go on the Balikbayan privilege. Can I own own and register with LTO a new car in my name on the BB?
Old Jun 9th 2017, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car ownership and LTO on Balikbayan

Originally Posted by David Mashael
When we make the final full time move to Fils later this year, I will probably opt to go on the Balikbayan privilege. Can I own own and register with LTO a new car in my name on the BB?
I have no idea about a NEW car but when I bought my used car ( 7 years ago ) I was not asked for any proof that I lived here, the same went for my first driving license that I got at the same time while I was on a Balikbayan 1 year visa. All I did to register the car and for my license was to show my driving licenses from about 9 different countries and a letter from the car seller's lawyer to say that I had bought the vehicle.

The only problem with registering the vehicle was that someone in the LTO said that my car was previously a different colour, when I asked what colour it used to be the only answer was "Not this one". So off to a lawyer to get a LTO form to say I had changed the colour, under 'previous colour' 'UNKNOWN' was inserted and that pleased everybody at the LTO. Everything notorised, stamped, made in triplicate, copied twice and approved by the inclusion of P200 in the paperwork.

That was my experience, but I am sure some rules may have changed since then and others may give you a more upto date view of the requirements.

PS, due to LTO internal problems regarding number plate and driving license plate corruption I now have a piece of paper with faded print on it that used to say I can drive and two paper number plates from 3 years ago ( when I paid for the new number plates ) that no longer have any visible numbers on them due to UV/rain degradation.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a 8 month old car and my nephew did everything for me. He went to the LTO registered the car, took it to another LTO to check the VIN plate (unusual but that's the Philippines).The documents for the car were properly checked before any money was exchanged. The car is in my name, no questions were asked about my residential status.

Found the cheapest place for insurance was the BDO bank!

Incidentally, I am married to a Filipino but she has a Dutch passport, although at present applying for dual citizenship. We are never questioned on entry to the Philippines and always get a yearly balikbayan stamp.

Ironically we have purchased 2 houses, and never had our residential status questioned.My wife did have to produce her birth certificate on the second purchase which took place 6 weeks ago. On the first occasion 11 years ago her birth certificate was not even asked for. Both purchases were done via a well respected attorney (some attorneys are not all that they suppose to present).

On another point, my wife's original birth certificate had errors on it. It has taken nearly a year and a lot of runnning around,plus expense to get a NSO ribboned certificate that is correct.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I've had 3 cars here, all registered in my name. Never a problem, filled in deed of sale, copy sellers ID , notarised, submitted to LTO , Done.
It's a bit more of a pain at the moment as LTO seem to be in chaos due to the new chief trying to cut down on corruption, plus they did a computer upgrade recently which has put them way behind in entering details. Took over 4 months to get latest vehicle re-registered in my name. Just bought a used bike for my driver - registration was expired when repossessed from finance so paid dealer to get it renewed. They now say it could be up to 3 months due to backlog at LTO! We did not buy a new bike as they said that would be 3 months to get it registered - as others here have been told. Even our fixer cannot get things speeded up which is unusual.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for the great feedback.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Just one problem you will not qualify for a driving licence on a balikbayan. You may get lucky but more and more LTO are following the new rules.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
Just one problem you will not qualify for a driving licence on a balikbayan. You may get lucky but more and more LTO are following the new rules.
Rules?, are you trying to say that the LTO actually have rules.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Yes hard to believe, I get the impression that more and more expats are being turned away when applying for a fil driving licence.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought new from a Toyota main agent via Facebook Messenger while still in the UK. Paid by direct bank transfer a deposit and later the remainder. Car was waiting for us, exactly as arranged, 3 days after arrival, everything done, tax, insurance, sales docs and registration with LTO.
A few months later applied for and got my Filipinos driving licence, no problem.
Remember, expect to wait for everything, filling out all the paperwork can be time consuming, I take a book.
Good luck.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kompani101
Bought new from a Toyota main agent via Facebook Messenger while still in the UK. Paid by direct bank transfer a deposit and later the remainder. Car was waiting for us, exactly as arranged, 3 days after arrival, everything done, tax, insurance, sales docs and registration with LTO.
A few months later applied for and got my Filipinos driving licence, no problem.
Remember, expect to wait for everything, filling out all the paperwork can be time consuming, I take a book.
Good luck.
The licence rule only changed last Oct/Nov. I assume you got yours prior to that.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
The licence rule only changed last Oct/Nov. I assume you got yours prior to that.
Sorry yes, I should have put dates. Car purchase October 2015 and driving licence March 2016.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 6:47 am
Banned

JasmineCruz is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of headache from LTO, Could they make their policies easily and conveniently for Filipinos.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JasmineCruz
A lot of headache from LTO, Could they make their policies easily and conveniently for Filipinos.
The last thing they want is easy to follow policies and rules otherwise people like myself would do it instead of bunging an employee P500 to get it through the mass of contradicting rules.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:52 am
Just Joined

expatuk2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
In my experience no ! When i went to get my driving licence a family friend came with us, saw lots of signs saying no fixers you will be fined etc.
The family friend found his fixer friend and for 150 pesos for the fixer my driving licence was handed to me after an hour !
The fixer went inside the office, even sat using their PCs !
Go e receipt all stamped etc.
So much for rules !
Old Oct 6th 2017, 9:38 am
Banned

JasmineCruz is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, too much rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.