Me and My Family

Old Apr 29th 2017, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Me and My Family

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I got a spare gas tank about 4/5 years ago and I am sure I paid somewhere around P1,200/1,300, so P2,000 might be a bit expensive but does depend on how far you live from a main town/city. In Manila they are P1,200.
Seems about right today. We have the big 50Kg tank and asked how much for a spare one - they quoted 6.5K including the gas which is about 3K usually so 3.5k deposit. 11kg gas here is between 680/700 at the momment. It does vary on a weekly basis as does petrol/diesel.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Easily solved, you need the receipt for when you need to return the spare tank.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

Gas prices sound about right we pay 700 ish for 11kg in Tagaytay long time since got another cylinder so don't remember. Just found the thread makes me recall simular situations. Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your kind remarks so far. Very much appreciated and welcomed.

I still have an issue with trust not so much with her but with her family. I am always wary, but perhaps that's a good thing.

Here is an example: We ran out of gas yesterday and my lovely lady asked her father to get a refill and a spare bottle. It is the blue 11kgs variety if that makes a difference. I have a receipt charging 2 x 760 for the gas plus 2k for a spare bottle which I assume is a deposit. I expected 1520 for the gas but somehow think 2k for the bottle is wrong. I sincerely hope it is me that is wrong.....

We have a foreigner friend who parks his small truck at our place when he is away. It is my responsibility for which he gives me a crate of beer each month. Not long after he parked it here for the first time, I noticed it missing when I came back from a walk. Apparently the family borrowed it. I was angry....no one asked me so I can obtain permission. My lovely lady said she asked permission from my mates gf. Needless to say it has not been moved since it was returned. Perhaps I am being too sensitive about such matters.

Anyway....prices of gas cylinders would be interesting!

Regards
Living in a third world non-Western country many of the experiences and concerns you relate are just typical - from my experience in the Philippines very typical ! My father who knew the Philippines well, would advise expatiates simply to expect such experiences as part of the price for the benefits of being in the Philippines.His take : instead of expecting honesty about financial and other matters, expect dishonesty driven by the culture and economic situation of the locals : then you can be pleasantly surprised when things are better than the initial expectation !

I know all the arguments against such generalizations, but he loved living in the Philippines and was very successful in his field ( personnel management and hiring of locals for foreign assignments) which he often would reason was because he started with the negative view and adjusted his expectations, and used patience, accordingly.

In the long run if possible always better being away from too many local family members. A foreigner is a bank account with legs.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 12th 2017 at 12:21 am.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings.

Gazza: Yes, I agree that I need the receipt if and when I return the spare tank, but I can see no reason to return the tank. But it has given me the thought of rooting out the receipt for the original tank to see what deposit I paid then. If I can find it that is.

I have no question about the cost of the gas but the deposit for the spare tank. For some reason 1.2k sticks in my head which I paid for originally. But I could be wrong or costs have increased dramatically over the past 2 years.

I might be doing the guy a major disservice by doubting him. I hope so. However, I noted that the family appears to have acquired transport and fuel to take them all down to a beach out of town this morning.

Regards

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:50 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings.

Gazza: Yes, I agree that I need the receipt if and when I return the spare tank, but I can see no reason to return the tank. But it has given me the thought of rooting out the receipt for the original tank to see what deposit I paid then. If I can find it that is.

I have no question about the cost of the gas but the deposit for the spare tank. For some reason 1.2k sticks in my head which I paid for originally. But I could be wrong or costs have increased dramatically over the past 2 years.

I might be doing the guy a major disservice by doubting him. I hope so. However, I noted that the family appears to have acquired transport and fuel to take them all down to a beach out of town this morning.

Regards
I think the important thing here is not whether the deposit is correct or not, the issue is that you are harboring doubts and feelings of mistrust. Not a happy situation to be in. All the while there are these doubts in your mind, it will not be a totally harmonious relationship. Do you really have to live so close to your wife's family? I just feel your relationship would be better off if there was some distance between you and them.

Old Apr 30th 2017, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh. Pinays and the leeches they have for family members.... many a wallet has been drained dry, as have the hopes and dreams of lonely men from faraway lands. I know that's a rather cruel generalization cum motherhood statement, but we used to employ Filipina maids for the household some years ago, and suffice to say, the experience has not been pleasant.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xizzles
Sigh. Pinays and the leeches they have for family members.... many a wallet has been drained dry, as have the hopes and dreams of lonely men from faraway lands. I know that's a rather cruel generalization cum motherhood statement, but we used to employ Filipina maids for the household some years ago, and suffice to say, the experience has not been pleasant.
You obviously have suffered from bad experience with Filipina maids. That is bound to lead to negative feelings. I too have had several Filipina maids here in Dubai and my experience has been the polar opposite. Cannot say the same for other nationalities that I have had including Ethiopian, Sri Lankan, Somalian. The Filipina's were cleaner, more respectful and polite, harder working, great cooks, honest etc etc. It is for those reasons that Filipinas are in the greatest demand and are paid the highest salaries here.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice

Originally Posted by David Mashael
You obviously have suffered from bad experience with Filipina maids. That is bound to lead to negative feelings. I too have had several Filipina maids here in Dubai and my experience has been the polar opposite. Cannot say the same for other nationalities that I have had including Ethiopian, Sri Lankan, Somalian. The Filipina's were cleaner, more respectful and polite, harder working, great cooks, honest etc etc. It is for those reasons that Filipinas are in the greatest demand and are paid the highest salaries here.
Couldn't agree more. We lived in Abu Dhabi for many years and found the Filipina OFW to be hard workers. Just don't leave your Dh/- on the table ..
Old May 1st 2017, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Mashael
I'm based in Singapore and Filipina maids command the highest salaries here because they can speak a version of English that the locals and expats (like myself) can semi-comprehend and with a bit of guesswork and with familiarity, even understand so I get what you mean about them being higher paid than other nationalities.

My personal (non-empirical and certainly not all encompassing) experience was formulated from 3 successive hires that stole from us, this despite my wife and I paying them well above the market rate. We felt betrayed and quite frankly, violated. The first stole money (obviously) - which we would have otherwise missed if not for the remittance receipts that were carelessly left out in the open (the amount repatriated far exceeded what she was being paid - which was almost double that of the going rate as it were the case!).

The second stole money and jewellery. Again, we wouldn't have noticed the money (she lifted from our wallet/handbag the odd $50 or $100 bill) but when my wife couldn't find a particular gold and diamond brooch and asked if the helper had seen it, the reaction was hostile and utterly unexpected - and that gave her game away.

The third one did the most damage. She didn't steal from us. Instead, she stole from my sister-in-law (wife's younger sister) when the latter came over from Australia to visit (and stayed with us) and realised she had lost the $6000 she had brought along as vacation money and also for distribution as "red packets" to her parents in Singapore. We never had proof of the helper's misdeed, but the facts were: there were only 4 of us in the house. My wife, myself, wife's sister and the maid. Karen told us about the money because she needed a safe place to keep it, so we let her use our wardrobe's top drawer which had a simple lock and key system. When we came back ne night after dinner, the lock had been jimmied and the $6000 was missing. We repatriated the helper not long after, and we've made do with casual help with the house chores ever since.

Last edited by xizzles; May 1st 2017 at 12:19 am.
Old May 1st 2017, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments so far.

Two points:

David...You are quite correct with your point about moving away from the family. This advice has been given many times before. It is certainly something that has always been in my mind but I love it here with the beach and the many friends I have made. I guess no situation is perfect, but the pluses far outweigh the minus's here. But it remains an option. I reiterate as before, it is not the money that concerns me....but the principle. But, I think I might be doing this guy a major disservice by doubting his honesty and that bothers me also.

As far as the integrity and honesty of Filipino workers that have been expressed here are concerned, I can relate to the good and bad experiences. Not me personally but people I know who employ them. All foreigners, if that makes a difference. I wont go into detail here, but I am shocked at the attitude and honesty of some of them. But on the other hand, I am impressed with the others who do a good days job and their integrity cannot be faulted. Guess its the same with families also as far as trust and honesty is concerned.

All for now

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:51 pm.
Old May 1st 2017, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I can agree with you re Filipino workers - some are honest and hard working, others, well the less said the better! we've been residents here for 4 years and it has taken us that long to find good, trustworthy workers for various things. we have been caught a couple of times but now have a good garage, good aircon guys(both car and house), good electrician and plumbers,good contacts in LTO/BI etc. OK we tip well but also treat them as equals and my little Bisayan seems to go a long way! Our maids and handymen are honest - you can leave money out and nothing goes astray.Send them shopping and every peso is accounted for. The rules are simple - don't lie to me or try and cheat me.If you stick to these then we'll look after you. Works for us anyway.The maids and one handyman have worked for my son for 7 years, the other handyman works for me (brother of the other one!) and has been with us 3 years.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 11th 2017 at 8:51 pm.
Old May 1st 2017, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

A friend needed his field ploughed, his wife asked her cousin to do it, he was not the most reliable person but was the only one they knew who had a carabao. Day rate and time fixed off they went. When they went back to the field a few days after it was supposed to be done, nothing. Quick complaint followed by the best excuse ever, his carabao was still sore after being castrated.
Old May 1st 2017, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xizzles
I'm based in Singapore and Filipina maids command the highest salaries here because they can speak a version of English that the locals and expats (like myself) can semi-comprehend and with a bit of guesswork and with familiarity, even understand so I get what you mean about them being higher paid than other nationalities.

My personal (non-empirical and certainly not all encompassing) experience was formulated from 3 successive hires that stole from us, this despite my wife and I paying them well above the market rate. We felt betrayed and quite frankly, violated. The first stole money (obviously) - which we would have otherwise missed if not for the remittance receipts that were carelessly left out in the open (the amount repatriated far exceeded what she was being paid - which was almost double that of the going rate as it were the case!).

The second stole money and jewellery. Again, we wouldn't have noticed the money (she lifted from our wallet/handbag the odd $50 or $100 bill) but when my wife couldn't find a particular gold and diamond brooch and asked if the helper had seen it, the reaction was hostile and utterly unexpected - and that gave her game away.

The third one did the most damage. She didn't steal from us. Instead, she stole from my sister-in-law (wife's younger sister) when the latter came over from Australia to visit (and stayed with us) and realised she had lost the $6000 she had brought along as vacation money and also for distribution as "red packets" to her parents in Singapore. We never had proof of the helper's misdeed, but the facts were: there were only 4 of us in the house. My wife, myself, wife's sister and the maid. Karen told us about the money because she needed a safe place to keep it, so we let her use our wardrobe's top drawer which had a simple lock and key system. When we came back ne night after dinner, the lock had been jimmied and the $6000 was missing. We repatriated the helper not long after, and we've made do with casual help with the house chores ever since.
Ouch, thats got to hurt. No wonder you feel the way you do, that's a lot of cash to lose. Were they direct hire or did you go through an agency? We preferred to use an agency.
Old May 1st 2017, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the comments so far.

Two points:

David...You are quite correct with your point about moving away from the family. This advice has been given many times before. It is certainly something that has always been in my mind but I love it here with the beach and the many friends I have made. I guess no situation is perfect, but the pluses far outweigh the minus's here. But it remains an option. I reiterate as before, it is not the money that concerns me....but the principle. But, I think I might be doing this guy a major disservice by doubting his honesty and that bothers me also.

I hear you , but there are literally thousands of places to live close to nice beaches and new friends can be made. I just feel that the more important factor here is a stable harmonious relationship with your lovely lady. Her family do seem to give you more than your fair share of problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.