Marriage advice

Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage advice

Originally Posted by Lee_337
That would be great if that was possible, but the way I understand it, if we get married here my girlfriend must go home after the marriage, then reapply to enter on a spouse visa? That is too expensive to do because it means paying for a fiance visa first, return flights to and from London, return flights to and from my home (I'm in Cornwall, not London!) and then forking out the same amount again after she returns home!!
Not if she applies for a fiancée visa. She comes to the UK, marries you and then applies to stay.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

That would be great if that was possible, but the way I understand it, if we get married here my girlfriend must go home after the marriage, then reapply to enter on a spouse visa? That is too expensive to do because it means paying for a fiance visa first, return flights to and from London, return flights to and from my home (I'm in Cornwall, not London!) and then forking out the same amount again after she returns home!!
You were given loads of advice over in the UK section. You said you did not want to get married ! You were also given advice as to the visa options.

A fiance visa allows your girlfriend to enter the UK, to get married within 6 months, and then she can remain in the UK to apply for a spouse visa.

Obviously you have to pay for a fiance visa and then a spouse visa.

.... and you have to fulfill financial, relationship and accommodation requirements (but we had already told you that).
Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Lee_337 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Not if she applies for a fiancée visa. She comes to the UK, marries you and then applies to stay.
Thanks for the reply. I read about that on the Gov.uk website and it stated that after the marriage the visitor must then go back home...

"2. Eligibility
You must prove that you’re:

18 or over
free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
in a genuine relationship
visiting the UK for less than 6 months
leaving the UK at the end of your visit
able to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that you can be supported and housed by relatives or friends
able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey
not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands"
Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You were given loads of advice over in the UK section. You said you did not want to get married ! You were also given advice as to the visa options.

A fiance visa allows your girlfriend to enter the UK, to get married within 6 months, and then she can remain in the UK to apply for a spouse visa.

Obviously you have to pay for a fiance visa and then a spouse visa.

.... and you have to fulfill financial, relationship and accommodation requirements (but we had already told you that).
Thanks for the reply.

That is correct what you say...we did not actually 'want' to get married and had not even discussed that before, but after I left the Philippines a few weeks ago we had decided we wanted to live together. So, after looking at all the options, marriage seems the only really viable option!

Yes I had read what I was told before about the requirements etc...that's not a problem. My only concern is the fact it states on the Gov.uk website my girlfriend must show that she doesn't intend staying in the UK after the marriage, but that's not the case...I do want her to stay!

Here is what it states on the Gov.uk website (I've highlighted the line I'm on about):

Marriage Visitor visa
Overview
Eligibility
Documents you must provide
Apply
1. Overview
You must apply for a Marriage Visitor visa if:

you want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK
you want to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in UK
you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership
you meet the other eligibility requirements
You don’t need a Marriage Visitor visa to convert your civil partnership into a marriage - you can apply for a Standard Visitor visa.

So, where is it that you get your information from that says she doesn't have to go home and can apply to stay, after the marriage?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

That's a marriage visitor visa, not a fiancée visa.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

That's a marriage visitor visa, not a fiancée visa.
There appears to be no such thing as a fiancée visa on the whole Gov.uk website!!
Old Mar 9th 2017, 10:09 pm

There appears to be no such thing as a fiancée visa on the whole Gov.uk website!!
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk
Old Mar 12th 2017, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply again mate. Appreciate your time.

We will try that and hopefully it will do the trick.

Thanks again everyone who replied and offered us help.

Lee.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings!

Thought I would use this topic rather than re-opening a new one.

My lovely lady mentioned in casual conversation that after we get married, we will need to go to Cebu to get her surname changed. Is this correct? If a Filipina married a pinoy there would be no requirement for this....because its done automatically. Perhaps this is another way to get into a foreigners wallet!

Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2017, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why she would need to get her surname changed.

My wife did get her surname changed, the Judge who did the marriage sorted that. Then passport renewal came up and she did that in her new married name. The process included a visit to the CFO who issued her clearance to emigrate to the UK!! We never asked for that. So, I suppose I could wake up one fine day and find a ''see you in London'' note on the pillow!!
Old Nov 7th 2017, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

mikemike,

*Not sure why she would need to get her surname changed.* That's what I said last night when she told me about a trip to Cebu to have it done. She is still not speaking to me!

Guess it will be civil marriage then with a judge!

Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2017, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I said last night when she told me about a trip to Cebu to have it done. She is still not speaking to me! Do not underestimate the need for security of relationship, your name is first prize.

i discovered this when i mistakenly put my wife's maiden name down on an internet form. My wife is very placid and easy going....not then. More like an wakening in the lair of the banshees!! I never made that mistake again.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
Not sure why she would need to get her surname changed.

My wife did get her surname changed, the Judge who did the marriage sorted that. Then passport renewal came up and she did that in her new married name. The process included a visit to the CFO who issued her clearance to emigrate to the UK!! We never asked for that. So, I suppose I could wake up one fine day and find a ''see you in London'' note on the pillow!!
How did your wife manage to change her name for her passport? My wife went to Iloilo to get a passport in her married name, she was told she had to follow the following ( which is in the DFA website somewhere )
  1. Go to Manila and attend a seminar for the problems and horrors of a Filipina marrying a foreigner. She said that she had lived overseas for 27 years and had previously been married to a foreigner, that did not count, she would learn more in the 6 hr seminar she was told
  2. After the course had to travel across Manila to another office to get a piece of paper to say she was allowed to apply for a passport in her married name.
  3. Then back to Iloilo with the bits of paper and apply for passport.
  4. Then back to Manila with new passport and husbands passport to prove he is a foreigner. Get a piece of paper to say she was allowed to apply for a visa for the country she would be traveling to.
  5. 72hrs before flying, back to the office in Manila where clearance to travel will be stamped in the passport.
Needless to say we did not bother.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike,

Yes, I got a similar reaction. When I asked what I thought was a simple question (Do we need to get your surname changed). ....the response was unexpected: "Whats the point of getting married then?" As I was about to embark on the reasons of the sanctity of marriage, it was met with the now familiar look of a broken down angel. A cold bed followed.

All is ok now but I am beginning to think that Filipinas are a touch sensitive on such matters. *Tongue firmly kept in cheek*

Regards
Old Nov 7th 2017, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
i discovered this when i mistakenly put my wife's maiden name down on an internet form. My wife is very placid and easy going....not then. More like an wakening in the lair of the banshees!! I never made that mistake again.
And mistakenly calling them by your ex-wife's name also goes down like lead balloon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.