Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Manila - Tips for a Newbie

Manila - Tips for a Newbie

Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

ifthingswereperfect is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manila - Tips for a Newbie

Hi

I will be working in Manila during September & October. I am keen for recommendations of good bars, places to go on weekends and any other must-dos

I haven't visited Manila before so I am keen to make the most of my visit.

Also as a vegetarian who doesnt eat meat, chicken or fish... any tips for eating out?

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:50 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Manila - Tips for a Newbie

Originally Posted by ifthingswereperfect
Hi

I will be working in Manila during September & October. I am keen for recommendations of good bars, places to go on weekends and any other must-dos

I haven't visited Manila before so I am keen to make the most of my visit.

Also as a vegetarian who doesnt eat meat, chicken or fish... any tips for eating out?

Thanks
Ooooo... the local men are going to really, really love you. My advise? Stick to the well known places and bars. From 1982 until late 1996 been there 17 times. I know, sounds cheap but do mean it as a (healthy) warning. Manila is great if you don't drop your common sense.

Dutchie

Last edited by Dutchie; Aug 15th 2008 at 3:53 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:15 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Manila is great if you don't drop your common sense.

Dutchie
And so many places you can say that about. Here we say - some people come and "forget to pack their brains".
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Manila - Tips for a Newbie

Are there a lot of she-men there?

Sorry never been before but may be going can you elaborate?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:57 pm

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by katongkaren
And so many places you can say that about. Here we say - some people come and "forget to pack their brains".
Hi Karen,

I know, but always kept my brain working at 200% while there. Okay, my male ego liked the idea being approached by a female young enough to be my daughter. But then one tends to think "I have a trusting partner at home, and a daughter... Is a few hours fun worth risking that? Nope.... So an other very cold shower and then find a nice dark place at the hotels bar was it for me.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Nice Guy

You want the AIDS that badly? If you look on the latest UN data it states that about 81.2% of what you call she-men are infected. The heterosexual world isn't much better either. But? The choice is yours...
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

You want the AIDS that badly? If you look on the latest UN data it states that about 81.2% of what you call she-men are infected. The heterosexual world isn't much better either. But? The choice is yours...

Hardly old chap, I was merely enquiring about forgetting to pack your brains elsewhere, just so happens I am also extremely happily married and wondered about the comment you made in post 2.

That's all, nothing even remotely more sinister.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:53 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen,

I know, but always kept my brain working at 200% while there. Okay, my male ego liked the idea being approached by a female young enough to be my daughter. But then one tends to think "I have a trusting partner at home, and a daughter... Is a few hours fun worth risking that? Nope.... So an other very cold shower and then find a nice dark place at the hotels bar was it for me.
Well, I was thinking more of the expats on motorcycles wearing no helmets, driving on wrong side of road.... and so many other tales. But yes the bargirls/barboys/ladyboys all have their attractions to some here - and you see so many guys come unstuck with their marriages. Up to them isn't it?
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Shakey's Pizza has always had vegetarian options, but they are limited. I am pleased to say that recently Chow King have introduced vegetarian options, as has French Baker, where you can buy bread to European taste as well as a meal.
Be careful though what locals construe as being vegetarian, and ask what is in a meal.
In most Eat All You Can places, if you go with guests, they will happily do you eggs, vegetables and rice.
In Cebu Orange Brutus will do you a toasted egg, or egg and cheese sandwich for a snack, and they do vegetable lumpia too, they tried cheese rolls, but there weren't enough takers. Jollibee does double cheese and fries.

I did find that Shakey's in Manila and Quezon had more vegetarian options than the Cebu branches, but I haven't been to Manila and Quezon for a long while now. So all might have changed.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:52 am
Just Joined

ifthingswereperfect is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Tropicofcancer for actually answering my initial query! I have been here 10 days and so far also found that some pizza places do good meat free pizzas and salads (California Pizza Kitchen, Outback in Makati). Also Mr Choi Kitchen (Robinsons Mall) does veggie tofu dishes too.

Visited Sonya's Garden at Tagaytay and the food was great there too.

Missing the sound of a British Accent though... all the locals speak American English and most Ex-Pats seem to be from the US too.

As always, common sense prevails and on the whole Makati feels a safe place to be. Although I have yet to experience a "big" night out! Too much work to do

Hoping to get to Boracay for a weekend before I leave as the beaches look fabulous. Thats providing I can stop spending all my money on clothes, bags, pearls etc;
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:45 am
Banned

Ryantalk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nice Guy

OMG welcome to the shemale and gay capital of the world there are more here than anywhere i have ever been in my life problem is i am 100% straight well thats not a problem lol but makes me nervous when i see some of them out they are scary