Manila help please!

Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

jammydodgerj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manila help please!

Hello!
I'm new to this site and my family are thinking of moving to Manila......but we have lots of questions! People on this forum seem to have some great advice!
We have two children (4 and 7) and are concerned about their safety in the city. How is it?
Also, schools - any recommendations for British children?
How about areas to live for a family?
What are the great things (and maybe not-so-great things) about living in Manila?
Thank you for your time!
Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Manila help please!

Originally Posted by jammydodgerj
Hello!
I'm new to this site and my family are thinking of moving to Manila......but we have lots of questions! People on this forum seem to have some great advice!
We have two children (4 and 7) and are concerned about their safety in the city. How is it?
What are the great things (and maybe not-so-great things) about living in Manila?
Thank you for your time!
There is nothing at all to be scared of here! Accommodation should be your first consideration. Do you want to live in a 'Gated Ghetto' or find somewhere less 'Insular?' Schools are fine too. In fact your kids will probably be mixing with a combination of Europeans, Philippinos and Koreans. Quite a lot of Koreans educate their children in The Philippines as education is in 'English' and The Philippines has a staunchly Catholic background.

Areas such as Makati (The CBD) come at a premium, and service is not that good either. Electrical and Water Supplies are not metered in many instances, so be prepared to be 'Ripped-Off!' Look at Ortigas, and parts of Mandaluyong, together with Marikina, and along Marcos Highway to Masinag/Antipolo. In these areas you will get a Villa for the price of a Makati Apartment (Rented). I have a Korean Neighbour who is paying PHP 25,000/- Per Month for a Four Bedroom Villa at Filinvest East (Marcos Highway). This is quite a large 'Estate' with Security at the Main Road, it does have a 'Clubhouse,' Church, Park, and areas for the Children.

Dependent upon where you work, be prepared for a 2 Hour Commute (Morning and Evening), unless you are close to the LRT/MRT Network! - That 2 Hours is for about 18 Kms! - Traffic is Horrendous at certain times of the day. If you choose to drive, your car will be 'Coded' for one day each week, dependent upon the Registration Number (End Number 1 & 2 = Banned on Monday, 2 & 3 Banned on Tuesday, etc, etc. The Ban is only in Makati, Pasig, San Juan, and Quezon City (I think), but times also vary, within each suburb. If not driving, then a Full Time Driver for the Family is not expensive.

Drop me a PM if you need more information

Jack

Last edited by jackthehat; Mar 9th 2012 at 7:19 am.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:07 am
Just Joined

jimfa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've just arrived in Makati for the first time and was unsure what to expect. However only been here a few days and already feel relaxed. There are very nice bits and slightly dodgy looking bits, but after initial apprehension, feel safe everywhere. And everyone smiles. arrived on my own, family still in UK for now so anyone want a drink and moan about scotish football and rugby, get in touch.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

obunchyo is just really niceobunchyo is just really niceobunchyo is just really niceobunchyo is just really niceobunchyo is just really niceobunchyo is just really niceobunchyo is just really niceobunchyo is just really nice

Hi
I have had a house in las Pinas for the last five years, this is a great place as the schools and colleges are every where...hospitals at the end of the road...which I was unluck to have stayed in for a month and a half...they did a great job...I'm still here. Great malls, every where....down side is the traffic and filth..pollution and the poverty. But the great thing is the friendly Filipino people....don't be afraid to barter for the things you want...always ask for a best price...oh this doesn't work in the malls.
Have fun and enjoy

Last edited by obunchyo; Mar 15th 2012 at 3:29 pm. Reason: Spelling misstake
Old Apr 20th 2012, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

limetree1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Not sure if this helps but we relocated to the Philippines from UK back at the begining of 2011, it is our first move out of the UK and we have never done anything like this before! We are a family and have children in different age brackets which involves secondary, primary and pre-school education.

It really depends on what sort of package you are coming over on, if it is a good expat package and includes schooling and housing you will have the choice of some really good international/british schools and also various gated (secured) villages/apartments to live in.

Alot of the expat community is in the centre of metro manila, scattered through the various business districts/villages - where there is some great housing/apartments available, again dependent on your budget - be warned though there is also some quite shocking accommodation available!

Our personal choice (coming from the country in the UK) was to move a bit further out to the outskirts of metro manila - we just felt that the pollution would be less as not so built up and the standard of living a bit less expensive, also as my husband's job was in the city it would give him a break at the weekend.

I suppose it depends what you want and also where you will be working. We are lucky enough to be living near the newly opened skyway which has cut down the commute from the south into Makati dramatically over the last year.

The security issue, yes there is obviously a problem (or else there wouldn't be security)! We have heard some awful stories (not that we've ever been affected) and also feel at certain times we need to be sensible as to where we go and what we do - but as yet (touchwood) have found we are still able to walk around most business areas/malls and our local community without a problem, infact we have found most of the Filipino people we come across very friendly.

You soon learn that everything out here is done at a slower pace, and I mean slower! It can be refreshing at times but also downright frustrating - but you have to remember, if you decide to come over you are still living in a country with a large amount of poverty and a totally different culture.

My advice, accept it for what it is - an opportunity to experience a different culture, meet some great people and see some amazing islands but be prepared to go through ups and downs along the way Good luck
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

I spent my teenage years growing up in Makati, 12 to 16. It made me very streetwise. I never had any trouble, although the opportunity to get into trouble were plentiful.

We lived in Bel Air and I went to the International School. Not alot of Brits did, but a handful. The rest went to the British school. I think that's a bit boring, why move halfway across the world to merely fraternize with your own?

The biggest downside to the city is the traffic and pollution, a journey that should take 15 minutes can easily take an hour. When I had colds, I noticed definable black rings on my nostrils. An older lady my parents knew went for a medical, her doctor told her to quit smoking. She had never smoked in her life.

Social life during the week for me was pretty much non existent. There's plenty of expats everywhere, loads of things to do. As I discovered at 15, even strip bars were accessible for a white kid with a meager weekly allowance. But mostly we'd hang out in the shopping malls, buying every album imaginable ever released.

But it was always great to get out of the city, a lot of things to see..beaches can be absolutely amazing.

I thoroughly enjoyed my years in Makati. It helped that I went to school with a bunch of the local rich kids. My friend circle included members of the Ayala family, Zobels, Madrigals, Chongbians, the son of the Quezon City mayor, and other notables like the daughters of John Negroponte, the American ambassador more famous for his involvement in Iraq etc, etc. Middle school was a bit rough for someone like me who was not into things like branded clothes, etc..but high school was simply awesome. Not sure about the British School, but the International School did random drug tests on their students. A good idea considering the ease of access to relatively hard drugs in Manila. (see: Shaboo..I swear half the country is on it)
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Keep away from Filinvest East (Marcos Highway, Barangay Mayamot)! Nice Middle Class Area in a 'Gated Ghetto!' - Security and Management are so 'Corrupt' it is beyond belief! - It makes Nigeria and Iraq look like a 'Sunday School Outing!'

Last week a neighbour of ours was shot in the head (Unfortunately, this was not fatal, as they missed the Dogs who bark all day long!) However, it was never recorded by the Estate Security, Barangay, or Police. Eventually, the Police carried out an investigation, and concluded that "He Fell Down the Stairs Guv!" - This despite the fact that there was Blood everywhere!

The Family concerned took the poor man to hospital in a Toyota Hiace with heavily tinted windows. They were not challenged at the gate! - Neither on the way out nor on the way back in, despite Blood being evident draining from the vehicle!

The Philippines needs to get its Gun Laws sorted out! - And not ride on the back of the American Second Amedment!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jackthehat
The Philippines needs to get its Gun Laws sorted out! - And not ride on the back of the American Second Amedment!
New Years eve is always more exciting..I forget the number of wounded and dead in Manila annually due to firing into the air by usually drunk police officers..but it was quite significant in the period 1992-1997 when I lived there.
Old May 2nd 2012, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

rebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nicerebecca.hartstrom is just really nice

Originally Posted by jammydodgerj
Hello!
Thank you for your time!
Hi jammydodgerj! I once backpacked through the Philippines after college and all I can say is that if you want to live there, live anywhere but in Manila. That's the busiest city and if you want to move with your family consider other provinces like Cebu, Davao, Iloilo, etc.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Keep away from Filinvest East (Marcos Highway, Barangay Mayamot)! Nice Middle Class Area in a 'Gated Ghetto!' - Security and Management are so 'Corrupt' it is beyond belief! - It makes Nigeria and Iraq look like a 'Sunday School Outing!'

Last week a neighbour of ours was shot in the head (Unfortunately, this was not fatal, as they missed the Dogs who bark all day long!) However, it was never recorded by the Estate Security, Barangay, or Police. Eventually, the Police carried out an investigation, and concluded that "He Fell Down the Stairs Guv!" - This despite the fact that there was Blood everywhere!

The Family concerned took the poor man to hospital in a Toyota Hiace with heavily tinted windows. They were not challenged at the gate! - Neither on the way out nor on the way back in, despite Blood being evident draining from the vehicle!

Latest News is that the Gunman was an American Marine! (Philippino National with American Citizenship) - No doubt that Diplomatic Influence has been used! - I saw a man get shot! - Not fall down the stairs!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

shiredevon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say having lived here for a number of years there's no way i would want to bring a family here,

It's a good place to retire on money you've accrued elsewhere, but it's not a safe place to live, sure you can lock yourself away but if you want to travel around be prepared to get robbed at the slightest opportunity,

I have been robbed on jeeps(admittedly i got it back by attacking the gang which was stupid as i could've been stabbed) wallet taken on the LRT, chain snatched off my neck while on a bus,(by someone from outside) and my house was robbed at gunpoint and my maid raped, so when i see people saying it's a good place to come to i'm gobsmacked,

I am now armed to the teeth and i will not hesitate to kill anyone who enters my house after dark,

Why am i still here, well i married a flip and have a daughter who i'll take back to uk at the earliest opportunity.

So please anyone think long and hard before you make the decision to move here, and why your doing it,

Sorry if my post seems scathing but i'm just telling it the way it is.

Good luck.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

Sorry to hear you have had such problems.
Almost exactly the same things have happened to people in UK.
I would advise getting your daughter a British passport immediately and hopping on a plane.
I wouldnt want to live a life where i have to be armed and live in constant fear.
Good luck!!