Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Making contacts - Working in Philippines

Making contacts - Working in Philippines

Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:46 am
Just Joined

want2b_in_Manila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making contacts - Working in Philippines

Hi Guys,

I'm really going to try and keep this message as short as possible but please contact me for further details. Please take the time to read this as I could do with any advice.

For the past few years, I have been trying to find an ex-pat job in the Philippines. I am half filipino, half english and I absolutely love the country which is why I am looking for a job there - naturally it has to be on an ex-pat salary as I could not live on a Philippine wage.

I have a 1st Class degree with honours in Aeronautical Engineering however I moved straight into the Rail Industry - working for Network Rail for 4 years in different roles. During this time, I sent off many emails to large international companies that had offices in the philippines - PB, ATKINS, WSP, etc. I even managed to have a meeting with one of the MDs of one of the above companies and it seemed that the main advice was to get out of Network Rail and join a Consultancy - Halcrow, Bechtel, Jacobs, ATKINS etc in order to gain international opportunities.

I followed this advice and moved to one of the above companies - I am now a Senior Consultant within Transport Planning.

Yes, I'm sure international opportunities may come about but I only have one place I want to go and that is the Philippines. So where is this message heading?

I guess I just want to ask all those ex-pats currently working in the Philippines how you got there? Is there something else I should be doing? Am I in the wrong industry? And most importantly of all, would you like to see my CV?! Or do you have any contacts that may be interested in seeing my CV.

My passion for working in the Philippines means that I am looking for any industry who will take me. It does not have to be in the industry that I have mentioned. My skills are transferable. If any of you guys do have any information or wish to see my CV, then please get in contact and I'll answer as many questions as you want!

Sorry for the length of this message! I really did my best to keep it short.

Cheers guys - I really appreciate your time

regards

Leigh
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:44 am
Just Joined

want2b_in_Manila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Making contacts - Working in Philippines

Not looking good I take it?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

mpmph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Making contacts - Working in Philippines

Well times are quite challenging here as I must say it is in most of the world. A lot of people are out of jobs so unless you have a very in demand specialization it may take some time, to say the least.
It's a great country despite the many concerns about its politics. People are nice & friendly.
I hope you find a good job and if you do and need a place out here, you can call on me to assist you in that department as that is my job out here.
Have a great year!!!! We all need it.