Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Far East and Asia / Philippines

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:30 am   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
ChrisKVie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LTO & New driving License

Got my local driving license this morning took about 1.5 hours in total and used the Cavite office as its relatively close to my office in Dasma.

Very confusing process and if I didnt have someone with me I think it would have taken many hours as there were hundreds there waiting to be served. The process went something like this;

1. Arrived and registered for medical - this comprised of answering a few questions like how tall are you and how heavy are you.....completed quickly as I was ushered straight to the front of the queue. cost 250PHP

2. registered at the next office where they photocopied passport/UK license/work permit - completed quickly as they took me straight behind and into the office area- cost 500PHP

3. Personally escorted to the next office and placed into the 'old people' air conditioned waiting area - more photocopies and picture taken and would have been quicker but I let the 2 nuns waiting go before me (I'm a gentleman !). Cost 2,000PHP - but this included the normal fee of 860php for license conversion.

4. Handed license 15 minutes later !.

So on reflection paying in total 2,750php for my license was money well spent and in reality only cost me 1600php 'extra' and for me this was great especially when I looked at all the many people waiting their turn.......

Cheers !
ChrisKVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:45 am   #2
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Suffolk UK
Posts: 481
Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKVie View Post
Got my local driving license this morning took about 1.5 hours in total and used the Cavite office as its relatively close to my office in Dasma.

Very confusing process and if I didnt have someone with me I think it would have taken many hours as there were hundreds there waiting to be served. The process went something like this;

1. Arrived and registered for medical - this comprised of answering a few questions like how tall are you and how heavy are you.....completed quickly as I was ushered straight to the front of the queue. cost 250PHP

2. registered at the next office where they photocopied passport/UK license/work permit - completed quickly as they took me straight behind and into the office area- cost 500PHP

3. Personally escorted to the next office and placed into the 'old people' air conditioned waiting area - more photocopies and picture taken and would have been quicker but I let the 2 nuns waiting go before me (I'm a gentleman !). Cost 2,000PHP - but this included the normal fee of 860php for license conversion.

4. Handed license 15 minutes later !.

So on reflection paying in total 2,750php for my license was money well spent and in reality only cost me 1600php 'extra' and for me this was great especially when I looked at all the many people waiting their turn.......

Cheers !
Can I ask what your visa status is, I see you mention a work permit.
Gazza-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:04 am   #3
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
ChrisKVie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

its a 9G....but to be frank I dont think I needed it to apply for a license.
ChrisKVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:19 am   #4
Raffin 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 187
Raffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud of
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Suggest that next time you, or anyone else you know, has to renew you go to Alabang where there's a very efficient small satellite office...or, if it comes to fruition, there's an LTO satellite office slated for the Robinson's Mall in Pala Pala.
Raffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:26 am   #5
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
ChrisKVie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Thanks Raffin; yes I looked into these as well but the smaller offices dont do new application or foreign conversions........renewals yes.
ChrisKVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:36 pm   #6
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Suffolk UK
Posts: 481
Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKVie View Post
its a 9G....but to be frank I dont think I needed it to apply for a license.
If you were on a 9a you couldn't legally have a license so yes it was necessary.
Gazza-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:38 am   #7
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 604
mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Raffin, The Alabang unit is great for renewals I first used the LTO office in Las pinas.....never again

Alabang done and out in 15 minutes
mikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:24 am   #8
Raffin 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 187
Raffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud of
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Yes, it's good, but a shame they stopped the registration when they moved from across the road. I had a nice arrangement there with a close by garage, who would do a service, emissions and registration while one did some shopping, for a reasonable fee.

Now got involved with the main Muntinlupa LTO at Tunasan. Not so good service and the number plate problem with two vehicles.

Do you use Las Pinas? I did a few times and found it Ok. Anywhere else you have tried?
Raffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:09 pm   #9
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 604
mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffin View Post
Yes, it's good, but a shame they stopped the registration when they moved from across the road. I had a nice arrangement there with a close by garage, who would do a service, emissions and registration while one did some shopping, for a reasonable fee.

Now got involved with the main Muntinlupa LTO at Tunasan. Not so good service and the number plate problem with two vehicles.

Do you use Las Pinas? I did a few times and found it Ok. Anywhere else you have tried?
we use las pinas for annual papers nothing else

Historically they have been terrible they refused to accept my UK?euro driving licence as the expiry date was on the back. I told him I was not going to pay them and I would make a phone call. i called the PRA as i was SRRV at that time and asked them to contact the lto office as this was a breach of the PRA rules. They called the office, the guy stopped smiling when he was told he was in breach of the orders of the office of the president. So he then told me i had to go to Quezon city and process there, So i rang the PRA again and they called him he was now not smiling at all. They made me wait all day, the asawas birthday!! We arrived at 07:30, left at 19:30. He made a point of handing it to me , all others had departed even if they arrived hours after we did. He was smiling, i smiled back and told him how pleased I was that he was so efficient at providing a license , that has taken all day whilst they passed those who never took their driving tests as the vehicle broke down, He smiled, then he stopped as i told him my letter to the PRA and LTO would of course commend him for this display.

Our annual smoke test and stenciling goes like clockwork, no issues at all> over the years it is still as chaotic as ever always very busy.

My driving license renewal is in 3 weeks at Alabang, should now be for 5 years i hope

Last edited by mikemike; Sep 8th 2017 at 12:11 pm.
mikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 5:11 am   #10
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Location: Manila
Posts: 5
JasmineCruz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Luckily, The LTO is considering the implementation of online car registration and drivers’ license. Therefore, we can register application for drivers’ license and car registration online.
JasmineCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 5:26 am   #11
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Capiz
Posts: 689
Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineCruz View Post
Luckily, The LTO is considering the implementation of online car registration and drivers’ license. Therefore, we can register application for drivers’ license and car registration online.
Hopefully it is a proper online service rather than others that claim to be online service with the following instructions.
"Follow link to page"
"Print out page"
"Fill out and sign"
"Take to office along with supporting identification documents for verification"
Stokkevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:41 am   #12
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Location: Manila
Posts: 5
JasmineCruz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Hope that it will never happen, waste too much time.
JasmineCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:02 am   #13
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 44
Bazza070958 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

I've struggled to get a licence as I'm on a Tourist visa .... gonna try again after renewal of ACR in Nov.... if not i'll wing it again !!!
Bazza070958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:02 pm   #14
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Suffolk UK
Posts: 481
Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazza070958 View Post
I've struggled to get a licence as I'm on a Tourist visa .... gonna try again after renewal of ACR in Nov.... if not i'll wing it again !!!
You can't legally have a drivers license on a tourist visa. Some places will sell you one but that doesn't make it legal.You may never be challenged, your risk.
Gazza-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th 2017, 2:33 am   #15
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Capiz
Posts: 689
Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LTO & New driving License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza-d View Post
You can't legally have a drivers license on a tourist visa. Some places will sell you one but that doesn't make it legal.You may never be challenged, your risk.
Things must have changed in the last few years. I got mine even before I had to get a visa extension, I just turned up with about 9 different driving licenses and a bunch of gov operator certs, they were most likely too frightened to ask about my residence status incase I came out with another book of paper.
Stokkevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Far East and Asia / Philippines


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 4:30 am.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com