Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Far East and Asia / Philippines

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Sep 15th 2017, 1:45 pm   #16
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,285
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza-d View Post
What you need to look at is the local population, how many 40 year ago difference couple do you see. No it is not accepted in the Philippines, maybe tolerated.....to your face.
When I was in Philippines a 20 or 25 year age gap wasn't entirely uncommon, 40 years quite a lot though. As far as whether accepted or tolerated, in the end who cares ? If one does then why enter into such an arrangement ? Philippines is a third world country, people readily understand a younger woman making a practical choice. Or is it better the younger woman works overseas as a maid to support her family and drunken husband back home ?

The other issue is lifestyle, don't know that much about internet/cable business in Cebu, but of one can live more like a local, can be very affordable.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 2:07 pm   #17
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Leicester
Posts: 20
jeremyb4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
My father lived and worked in Philippines for 10 years and I had spent a fair amount of time there. Quite a few of his friends married Philippine women younger them, usually by 20 or 25 years, and most ended up quite content- more so if they stayed in Philippines instead of moving back home. Unless you have spent time in Philippines best to go there and imagine your daily life, and in location away from her family.
She is from a small family, only one brother, so feels she would need to stay in the Philippines to support them, although it is not necessary for her to remain there in order to do that. The main reason for not considering bringing her here is the attitude in the West to relationships that are more than 5 years age difference are usually frowned upon. 40 years gap may be seen by some as near to being criminal.
jeremyb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 2:15 pm   #18
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,767
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Cannot and will not comment on the personal side other than to say it's your life and if it makes you happy in the years left to you then fine.
Re TV/internet. I am in Cebu and have absolutely no need for any paid packages other than sky cable.( That will be terminated when the contract is up! We used to have Sky internet and got cable TV for relative peanuts as an add on, but gave it up due to unreliability) I get all the UK TV I want either from TVCatchup - Channels or via my android tv box. Due to the time difference I rarely watch live streams so record them , or download from torrents, transfer to USB and watch at my convenience on the TV. I do watch Andrew Marr on Sunday - 4.00pm here , plus sometimes UK breakfast TV via TV catchup and I have literally only once had a buffer in the last 3 years. My one son gets all the EPL via his android box and my other son gets all his motorbike races , also via his android box. I bought 3 boxes from Lazada for around £25 each and they all perform fine via wi-fi. We have PLDT 50mB Fiber.
The biggest problem I think you'll have is actually reaching the expats here. Most of them are not on BE or even Facebook - well, those I meet locally anyway.
__________________
If I voice an opinion - it's just that, an opinion!
quiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:31 pm   #19
scot47 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,557
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

TV is not, in my experience, as dominant in the lives of "expats" as it is in Metropolitan Britain or in the US. people expatriate themselves to places like the Phillipines to escape from TV.
scot47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:38 pm   #20
Shard Male
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 13,343
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
TV is not, in my experience, as dominant in the lives of "expats" as it is in Metropolitan Britain or in the US. people expatriate themselves to places like the Phillipines to escape from TV.
Responses on this thread suggest otherwise!
Shard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:34 pm   #21
scot47 
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,557
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Are there enough TV-using foreigners in the area to make a business out of serving their needs ?
scot47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:23 pm   #22
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Leicester
Posts: 20
jeremyb4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltman View Post
Cannot and will not comment on the personal side other than to say it's your life and if it makes you happy in the years left to you then fine.
Re TV/internet. I am in Cebu and have absolutely no need for any paid packages other than sky cable.( That will be terminated when the contract is up! We used to have Sky internet and got cable TV for relative peanuts as an add on, but gave it up due to unreliability) I get all the UK TV I want either from TVCatchup - Channels or via my android tv box. Due to the time difference I rarely watch live streams so record them , or download from torrents, transfer to USB and watch at my convenience on the TV. I do watch Andrew Marr on Sunday - 4.00pm here , plus sometimes UK breakfast TV via TV catchup and I have literally only once had a buffer in the last 3 years. My one son gets all the EPL via his android box and my other son gets all his motorbike races , also via his android box. I bought 3 boxes from Lazada for around £25 each and they all perform fine via wi-fi. We have PLDT 50mB Fiber.
The biggest problem I think you'll have is actually reaching the expats here. Most of them are not on BE or even Facebook - well, those I meet locally anyway.
I am aware that free services are available using Kodi on the android TV box. Depending on where you source your stream or what addon you use will determine the quality of the video you receive. Regrettably, Kodi addon forums have been hit, by what i assume are Cease and Desist notices as a few of them have closed down. This looks like a trend set to continue. Go to sources for these services will reduce in number over time. it may be possible to retain what you have in a working order for many months. A subscription service at a much reduced cost than paying the originator, who are operating on a much lower scale than Addon forums/providers is a way forward. That is what I will be offering to those in Cebu and the Philippines as a whole.

I agree with you that my biggest challenge is to reach out to the expat community as a whole and any suggestions from members here will be most welcome. Are there active expat groups that have regular meetings or places where expats regularly congregate.
jeremyb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:16 pm   #23
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Leicester
Posts: 20
jeremyb4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Are there enough TV-using foreigners in the area to make a business out of serving their needs ?
I do not have the exact figures yet, but early indications would suggest there are. I am not looking to service thousands of customers there. I am coming to a time in my life where I would like to take things a bit easier. I can service my business in the UK from the Philippines as I have someone here in the UK who can do the necessary programming and undertake dispatches. So as a small scale business it should be sufficient. If it does take off then I have a young, fit and able IT operator and she is quite capable of helping out.
jeremyb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:25 pm   #24
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,285
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb4 View Post
I do not have the exact figures yet, but early indications would suggest there are. I am not looking to service thousands of customers there. I am coming to a time in my life where I would like to take things a bit easier. I can service my business in the UK from the Philippines as I have someone here in the UK who can do the necessary programming and undertake dispatches. So as a small scale business it should be sufficient. If it does take off then I have a young, fit and able IT operator and she is quite capable of helping out.
That sounds idea earn revenue from UK, with Philippine budget.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:26 pm   #25
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,285
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb4 View Post
She is from a small family, only one brother, so feels she would need to stay in the Philippines to support them, although it is not necessary for her to remain there in order to do that. The main reason for not considering bringing her here is the attitude in the West to relationships that are more than 5 years age difference are usually frowned upon. 40 years gap may be seen by some as near to being criminal.
Have you been to the Philippines ?
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:32 pm   #26
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Leicester
Posts: 20
jeremyb4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Have you been to the Philippines ?
This coming trip will be my fourth time to the Philippines in 2 and half years. My first time to Cebu, previously to Manila.
jeremyb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:40 pm   #27
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,285
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb4 View Post
This coming trip will be my fourth time to the Philippines in 2 and half years. My first time to Cebu, previously to Manila.
So I guess question I have is if you chose the Philippines , could you live in a place away from her family ? There is a thread on BE called something like " me and my Philippine family" you may wish to read.
morpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th 2017, 2:33 am   #28
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Consolacion,Cebu
Posts: 1,767
quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb4 View Post
I am aware that free services are available using Kodi on the android TV box. Depending on where you source your stream or what addon you use will determine the quality of the video you receive. Regrettably, Kodi addon forums have been hit, by what i assume are Cease and Desist notices as a few of them have closed down. This looks like a trend set to continue. Go to sources for these services will reduce in number over time. it may be possible to retain what you have in a working order for many months. A subscription service at a much reduced cost than paying the originator, who are operating on a much lower scale than Addon forums/providers is a way forward. That is what I will be offering to those in Cebu and the Philippines as a whole.

I agree with you that my biggest challenge is to reach out to the expat community as a whole and any suggestions from members here will be most welcome. Are there active expat groups that have regular meetings or places where expats regularly congregate.
I agree with what you say, but like most expats here I watch relatively little UK TV and as I am not sports minded have no interest in footy, Cricket, Golf or Tennis. I don't use kodi on my android box, TV catchup has an android app which works well for my needs. Plus my son installed another app which gets me the few USA channels we watch. I get the news from BBC/ITV , daily and local UK papers on the web and UK radio.Anything else the torrents or youtube provide!Oh, and iplayer via VPN sometimes. doubtless there will be expats interested in what you offer - especially those less tech savvy. However, getting to them is not easy as there are few if any regular meet ups here in Cebu , most expats congregate in the bars to socialise and watch TV sport.(even at midnight!) The nearest to where I live is Eurohub bar in Talamban, the others seem to congregate in other bars such as Jokers and those ones in Mango Square.
I wish you well though.
__________________
If I voice an opinion - it's just that, an opinion!
quiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th 2017, 2:47 am   #29
Raffin 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 185
Raffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud ofRaffin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
TV is not, in my experience, as dominant in the lives of "expats" as it is in Metropolitan Britain or in the US. people expatriate themselves to places like the Phillipines to escape from TV.
I would generally agree...except I wouldn't go so far as to say escaping from TV is a motive to relocate here! If it was it has backfired with a vengeance for some of us as we have to watch local TV at times!

Not so much for the US, but the quality of TV in Britain is something most British Expats will say they miss quite a lot. Unlike something like the British Countryside, one can make up for its loss here, to an extent. But, yes, it's less dominant.

There's the weather...much better here than in most areas of Europe and the US!

Also, the time differences for watching live...eg for the UK the standard EPL ko time is a bit late at 10 or 11 pm here. The late ko's are generally 2.45 to 3.45am! Only midday ko's are on here at a generally acceptable time.US evening starts are in the mornings here. F1 will vary and it goes on for longer.

And watching UK or US TV is just more bother here. If one is using the internet, as has been mentioned already, connections here can be slow and problematic. A few years ago I only had a broadband at 0.5MBps. I did manage to find some amateurish, small, streaming sites to watch EPL, but tiny screen size and with plenty of buffering. Now, with 2MBps better viewing on better quality sites, but still some buffering. At present there is no sign of these sites being blocked by the ISPs here, unlike in the UK.

So there's definitely a good,though somewhat moderated, level of interest from mainly male Expats for live sporting events streamed at high quality. But with many ways to watch other UK/US TV programmes through the internet, demand from those not so interested in sport will be much more limited. And, as Quiltman said, you just get more selective in your watching.

Of course replies to this thread are showing a high level of interest...the title is "Re: Internet TV......."!
Raffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th 2017, 6:12 am   #30
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 484
Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet TV, girlfriend and moving to the Philippines

JeremyB4,

If you are on fb, there are various groups you can join involving the Philippines. One is "Married to a Filipina"...you don't have to be married to join but in a relationship. I was thinking that could be a useful tool to reach out for further opinion on your relationship and to advertise your proposed business idea to the 6000 or so ex-pats on the group.

Best of luck

Pete
Philosophical 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Far East and Asia / Philippines


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 5:53 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com