Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

How safe is it to visit Manila, Philippines.

How safe is it to visit Manila, Philippines.

Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How safe is it to visit Manila, Philippines.

To those people who just came from the Philippines for vacation or those who are living there, could you please give us some information on how safe it is to visit Manila and suburbs. A few points we would like to know are as follows:

1. The corruption of the Philippine Officers and Officials that you could encounter during your travel.

2. How safe it is to walk outside your cottage or hotel in Manila?

3. What are the personal things (ex, jewelries) that you consider safe to bring that would not attract holdupers, theives, swindlers, etc.

4. The places that you think is not safe within the Manila area.

Any other suggestions??
Old Apr 5th 2005, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Robertbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How safe is it to visit Manila, Philippines.

In answer to your questions

1. Police in the Philippines are on low pay and hence the reason for some police being corrupt. "Mainly traffic police". In one case I was stopped and crossed his palm with 500 pesos which seemed to do the trick.

2. Depending on what part of Manila. In Makati it is very safe. Downtown Manila is a different matter and it would be better walking in pairs

3. Wearing a watch and ring should not be a problem again it depended where you go. Don't walk down any dark allyway

4. Staying in the Makati Area is your best bet.Nice Hotels and good eating places. Plenty of Security at the shopping Malls

Suggest that you be Street Wise. I now live in the Philippines and have never ever felt treatened but also that My Filipino wife is very protective of me.

Originally Posted by Redwings
To those people who just came from the Philippines for vacation or those who are living there, could you please give us some information on how safe it is to visit Manila and suburbs. A few points we would like to know are as follows:

1. The corruption of the Philippine Officers and Officials that you could encounter during your travel.

2. How safe it is to walk outside your cottage or hotel in Manila?

3. What are the personal things (ex, jewelries) that you consider safe to bring that would not attract holdupers, theives, swindlers, etc.

4. The places that you think is not safe within the Manila area.

Any other suggestions??
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:34 am
Just Joined

samm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robertbob
In answer to your questions

1. Police in the Philippines are on low pay and hence the reason for some police being corrupt. "Mainly traffic police". In one case I was stopped and crossed his palm with 500 pesos which seemed to do the trick.

2. Depending on what part of Manila. In Makati it is very safe. Downtown Manila is a different matter and it would be better walking in pairs

3. Wearing a watch and ring should not be a problem again it depended where you go. Don't walk down any dark allyway

4. Staying in the Makati Area is your best bet.Nice Hotels and good eating places. Plenty of Security at the shopping Malls

Suggest that you be Street Wise. I now live in the Philippines and have never ever felt treatened but also that My Filipino wife is very protective of me.
Visitors to the Philippines can do something to this poor but nice country if you help these “corrupt” officers by not giving in to their demands. If you haven’t done anything wrong, why shell out 500 pesos? One type of “corruption” you might encounter is on the use of cabs. Some cab drivers tend to negotiate fixed fares for you. Don’t give in; instead have him turn on his taxi meter. If he doesn’t agree, you can always say No and get off; there are a lot of cabs out there.

Yes, Makati is supposed to be the safest. The greater Manila area is generally safe but you have to take precaution.

Redwings, PM me if you’re planning to come over for a vacation. Might be able to provide you more specific tips.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just got an info from people who just came back from the Philippines that you should not expose yourself using your cellphone because it is what the snatchers are targetting now adays. Never wear jewelries like gold bracelets, earings, pendants, neclace, etc whenever you plan to walk in any of the streets of Manila. Never get yourself into trouble with the policemen because they are the source of corruption. Never walk alone and be vigilant for anybody could harash you.

Have anyone out there had similar experience??

Originally Posted by samm
Visitors to the Philippines can do something to this poor but nice country if you help these “corrupt” officers by not giving in to their demands. If you haven’t done anything wrong, why shell out 500 pesos? One type of “corruption” you might encounter is on the use of cabs. Some cab drivers tend to negotiate fixed fares for you. Don’t give in; instead have him turn on his taxi meter. If he doesn’t agree, you can always say No and get off; there are a lot of cabs out there.

Yes, Makati is supposed to be the safest. The greater Manila area is generally safe but you have to take precaution.

Redwings, PM me if you’re planning to come over for a vacation. Might be able to provide you more specific tips.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How safe is it to visit Manila, Philippines.

My Scottish friend lived in Makati on an expat posting (Forbes Park) which had armed guards in a sentry box at the entrance to her cul-de-sac... I went over for visits on three occasions and my husband was always going there on business. In the daytime it seems safe enough...but Linda was once in the 'Mega Mall' opposite the Shangri-La hotel and her bag was snatched as she stepped onto the escalator. We went to the polo club and a large sign says "drivers must deposit guns at reception".

Basically, don't wear anything which makes you look affluent....wear a cheap watch eg. Timex, leave all jewellery at home and don't have expensive labelled clothes or handbags. I would be discreet with a camera or videocamera too....perhaps again, an inexpensive camera would be best. For sightseeing, there isn't a lot to do if you're based in Manila...we visited the jeepney factory and the US military cemetery, plus there is a large theme amusement park. We also visited the old part of the city...can be done in half a day or less.

Getting through the airport upon arrival - and departure - is very interesting LOL! (You will need cash to pay a departure tax - you buy a coupon when checking in for your return flight...can't remember the price but it used to be about 500 pesos).

I enjoyed visiting the Philippines (although by far the best part was we had a wonderful holiday with our Manila based friends at the "Coco Beach" resort in Oriental Mindoro...took a shuttle bus to the port (arranged by the resort hotel) and high speed ferry, changing to a tiny boat (banca) to get to the village resort:

http://cocobeach.com/web/index.htm

You also take the little bancas to get to other local villages and White beach....it's definitely, absolutely worth a side trip if you're going to Manila.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

I'd recommend wearing those "patch" type pocket trousers with leg zip pockets that you can keep valuables in.
Back pockets, neck wallets and belt packs are most deffinately out and just advertise your wealth.
I bought a pair of M & S (not a bore ...honest) trousers some years ago and they had cleverly hidden leg pockets that were zipped under cover. The depth of the pocket went right round the leg and held passport and airtickets out of sight.
In the past I've put a safety pin through my pocket from the inside when I know that we are going on the sunway train.
Another good tip is to wear shirts with buttoned top pockets where you can keep the credit card or small amounts of loose cash. Substitute the buttons for Velcro to be even safer.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your message Englishmum.

more than a decade ago, those beaches were just bare and not developed. I have been to Iloilo and that place was amazing. One of the few places that I really felt in love in the Philippines.

However, nowadays, I could not think of going down south because of security reasons. Once you travel by boat or ferries in the Philippines, it becomes scary. First is because most of those boats have very poor maintenance. I have heard of 3 german tourists who were left alone in the boat in the middle of the sea when it broke while they were on their way to an island. Second, the Abu Sayyaf (Al Qaeda) group were successful in eluding the military because they had powerful custom made boats. They kept hopping the islands much faster than those old boats used by the Philippine coastguards. They can pop in anytime while you are having your dinner. Besides, the sea transport in the Philippines have a very bad reputation when it comes to safety features.

Originally Posted by Englishmum
My Scottish friend lived in Makati on an expat posting (Forbes Park) which had armed guards in a sentry box at the entrance to her cul-de-sac... I went over for visits on three occasions and my husband was always going there on business. In the daytime it seems safe enough...but Linda was once in the 'Mega Mall' opposite the Shangri-La hotel and her bag was snatched as she stepped onto the escalator. We went to the polo club and a large sign says "drivers must deposit guns at reception".

Basically, don't wear anything which makes you look affluent....wear a cheap watch eg. Timex, leave all jewellery at home and don't have expensive labelled clothes or handbags. I would be discreet with a camera or videocamera too....perhaps again, an inexpensive camera would be best. For sightseeing, there isn't a lot to do if you're based in Manila...we visited the jeepney factory and the US military cemetery, plus there is a large theme amusement park. We also visited the old part of the city...can be done in half a day or less.

Getting through the airport upon arrival - and departure - is very interesting LOL! (You will need cash to pay a departure tax - you buy a coupon when checking in for your return flight...can't remember the price but it used to be about 500 pesos).

I enjoyed visiting the Philippines (although by far the best part was we had a wonderful holiday with our Manila based friends at the "Coco Beach" resort in Oriental Mindoro...took a shuttle bus to the port (arranged by the resort hotel) and high speed ferry, changing to a tiny boat (banca) to get to the village resort:

http://cocobeach.com/web/index.htm

You also take the little bancas to get to other local villages and White beach....it's definitely, absolutely worth a side trip if you're going to Manila.
Old May 1st 2005, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

However, nowadays, I could not think of going down south because of security reasons. Once you travel by boat or ferries in the Philippines, it becomes scary. First is because most of those boats have very poor maintenance. I have heard of 3 german tourists who were left alone in the boat in the middle of the sea when it broke while they were on their way to an island. Second, the Abu Sayyaf (Al Qaeda) group were successful in eluding the military because they had powerful custom made boats. They kept hopping the islands much faster than those old boats used by the Philippine coastguards. They can pop in anytime while you are having your dinner. Besides, the sea transport in the Philippines have a very bad reputation when it comes to safety features.
Redwings Hi,

The boats that ply the Philippine islands daily are mostly "Superferries" and have the latest safety features. I've traveled on many of these, sleeping on the deck with a beer and packet of chili nibbles and watched the sunset over the railings. I used to worry when the passengers said their prayers to the tannoy broadcasts, but got over it.There are some boats however that do warrant worry and when you see these, its obvious that you're taking a risk. I used one such boat from Batangas to Puerta Galera and held my breath for most of the short journey.
If the boats do break down they are not very far from land and its just a question of waiting. Touch wood its been okay so far.
I too am concerned about the terrorist activity in the South but know that the Pi forces and Us involvement will keep them in check around Zamboanger (spelt wrong) . For them to make a special effort to get to one of you and me, it would need to be for a purpose to aid their cause and I feel the attack would never arise, ....a retired British embassador may feel threatened of course and quite rightly so, a prize in its own right.
We are planning to move to Cebu but will spend some time in Iloilo because of its flowers, one of the reasons for moving to a tropical country. Like any interesting place to live in the world, the Philippines has risks and I think if you are wise they can be minimised.
We will have our mini mansion built to our own specs and have a swim in our pool before breakfast all for the price of a quarter what it costs in the UK.
That sounds more interesting than a semi, weekly shopping trip toTesco's and the dead beets in the corner pub, I'm sure.
We visited my poor mum in a "care" home not long ago in Melton Mowbray and I thought, this isn't for me, I'm going to Croak under a Frangipani with a San Miguel in my hand!

Last edited by NC Penguin; May 2nd 2005 at 4:27 pm. Reason: Fixing formatting
Old May 2nd 2005, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucky you Sunnydays, you`ll soon enhoy the beaches of Argao. Love to barbecue along the shore with those bottles of San Miguel beer. I used to travel to Iloilo quite alot and I loved that place. I was thinking Cebu by now is very crowded as well. A mini mansion with pool, it`s just my dream but I guess it would stay like that.

Well, we share the same opinion about the Philippines. They say if you can live in Manila, you can survive anywhere in the world. But even if you ask those who lived and grew up in Manila, they would think twice if you ask them to go to the south places like Cotabato, Marawi, Jolo, etc. Mind you, I enjoyed my stay in Gen Santos City. In Cotabato, I checked in at the Imperial hotel years ago where a very prominent politician was gunned down a few weeks before I got in. People in plain clothes just comes and goes at the hotel with their M16`s and AK47 and you`ll never know who they are. In the south they have 3 groups of militaries, the MILF, MNLF and the Govt forces and all of them have their own check points. You can ride a bus and after a few kilometers, ìt will stop at a check point of the military and then after a few more kilometers another check point of the MILF and as you leave, an MNLF checkpoint. They also have the NPA`s who just live in the mountains strugling for a communist regime. You just have to have a good common sense when you are travelling south. A local who could understand the language is a very big help. The Moros have their own dialect totally different from Visaya.

However, the whole of the Philippines have very friendly people and worlds best beaches. Just most of the countries there are also some bad spots where you should keep away. I really love to go visit there and eat the best of seafoods. I`m sure you`ll enjoy living there.

Redwings Hi,

The boats that ply the Philippine islands daily are mostly "Superferries" and have the latest safety features. I've traveled on many of these, sleeping on the deck with a beer and packet of chili nibbles and watched the sunset over the railings. I used to worry when the passengers said their prayers to the tannoy broadcasts, but got over it.There are some boats however that do warrant worry and when you see these, its obvious that you're taking a risk. I used one such boat from Batangas to Puerta Galera and held my breath for most of the short journey.
If the boats do break down they are not very far from land and its just a question of waiting. Touch wood its been okay so far.
I too am concerned about the terrorist activity in the South but know that the Pi forces and Us involvement will keep them in check around Zamboanger (spelt wrong) . For them to make a special effort to get to one of you and me, it would need to be for a purpose to aid their cause and I feel the attack would never arise, ....a retired British embassador may feel threatened of course and quite rightly so, a prize in its own right.
We are planning to move to Cebu but will spend some time in Iloilo because of its flowers, one of the reasons for moving to a tropical country. Like any interesting place to live in the world, the Philippines has risks and I think if you are wise they can be minimised.
We will have our mini mansion built to our own specs and have a swim in our pool before breakfast all for the price of a quarter what it costs in the UK.
That sounds more interesting than a semi, weekly shopping trip toTesco's and the dead beets in the corner pub, I'm sure.
We visited my poor mum in a "care" home not long ago in Melton Mowbray and I thought, this isn't for me, I'm going to Croak under a Frangipani with a San Miguel in my hand!

Last edited by NC Penguin; May 2nd 2005 at 4:28 pm. Reason: Fixing formatting
Old May 9th 2005, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sunnydays and others who are interested. Just for your information. Take a look at this site.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=4786

Originally Posted by sunnydays
Redwings Hi,

Old May 9th 2005, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redwings
Hi Sunnydays and others who are interested. Just for your information. Take a look at this site.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=4786
Its all at the Southend of the Philippines Redwings. There are over a hundred Expats living in the Cebu area on another island further north and by all accounts they are not unduly worried.
www.livinginthephilippines.com website and the forum in the Yahoo website is well patronised by people living in the area (Cebu)
Thankyou for your concern, we are not discouraged.

Peter