Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Hi - Newbie here with a few questions to the PH forum

Hi - Newbie here with a few questions to the PH forum

Old Mar 11th 2017, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

ChrisKVie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hi - Newbie here with a few questions to the PH forum

Hi to everyone, found this site whilst researching PH and seems a good place to reach out to experienced subject experts.

I will be moving to PH next month with my family, wife is filipino and 2 small kids holding UK and PH passports. I have secured employment in MNL. The family will live and undertake school in Tarlac area and I will spend weekdays at work in MNL. My questions have probably been answered elsewhere in the forum but it would be great to get some updated opinions.

1. What is the likely income tax rate.
2. Wife will have a driver but I will drive myself. License tips and driving tips would be welcome.
3. Recommendations on Visa's?. My work will arrange work visa etc etc, but what else.
4, Any general tips for long term living in PH. I have visited many times but living and staying is different and you guys probably have a wealth of knowledge here.
5. British food any places you can recommend. I use online ordering from the british corner shop, which is good but any local places in MNL/Angeles/Tarlac?

The list goes on but hopefully I can get some good advise.

Cheers
ChrisKVie
Old Mar 11th 2017, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi - Newbie here with a few questions to the PH forum

1/ As I do not know your income it is not possible to answer. Have you googled income tax rates for here? I know that Australians on contract here do not pay income tax in either Australia or here
2/ Rules of the road are just a suggestion. They are mad and dangerous. Google your local land transportation office(LTO). You have limited time to drive on your overseas license, 3 months I think. You can apply for drivers license once your permit is approved as they will wish to see passport and visa. Get there early and be prepared to spend all day.
3/ Will you be arriving on a Balikbayan, as this gives you one year visa free status, plenty of time to convert. On arrival they will want to see her pinay passport and your marriage certificate for this visa which is not actually a visa but it is free.
4/ None that I can think of just do not get involved in any form of difficulty, bite your lip and walk away.
5/ Angeles city has a huge import culture for food and beverages as there are large numbers of overseas people there. Web blogger ''Harry the Horse'' is a good contact point to ask about these businesses. Waitrose can be found in some of the Ayala based food courts. Tescos is now in at SM food courts. Marks and Spencers very limited also in ayala.

I am sure that members who live in your neck of the woods will be able to add more local details
Old Mar 11th 2017, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

1. Here's the current tax rates: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/fileadmi...hilippines.pdf
2. mikemike has answered
3. As a foreigner you will need an alien Employment Permit which your company has to apply for UNLESS I believe, you work in one of the tax free industrial zones. The balikbayan permit will, as mikemike says, get you into PH and is valid for 12 months. To renew it, both of you need to leave PH for 24hrs then when you come back you get another Balikbayan stamp.You cannot work under a balikbayan visa according to the immigration website without filing for a work permit. I'd get your future employer to check and confirm how you acheive legal work status here.
4 & 5 - Mikemikes answer is spot on. I could help with UK food here in Cebu, but that's no use to you inManila!
Old Mar 12th 2017, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses Gents.
cheers
Old Mar 14th 2017, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Simon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris, Welcome to the Philippines.

I have experience working in Philippines and gaining the necessary visas etc:

You can arrive without a visa so no problem there - you'll get a 30 day stamp on arrival.

Then you need to head to DOLE and pick up an Alien Employment Permit. This should just take a couple of days.

Alien Employment Permit

Next you will need to apply for a Conversion to 9G Visa (ie convert to working visa). You can do this in Bureau of Immigration in Manila (not possible in Angeles).

Conversion to Pre-Arranged Employee - Commercial

I have found you need to be the one to push for all this to be done. If you are working for a more established company and they already have foreigners working for them maybe they have everything and will process it quickly, but I had to really push my employer to provide everything, and have had to go to Manila several times to get everything done (I work in San Fernando, Pampanga).

Let me know if any more questions. I'm living and working in Pampanga so once you're settled would be happy to meet up and answer any questions or have a general moan / laugh.

I generally buy/eat local food and drink but other expats I know buy from S&R. There's also a deli in Angeles where you can buy lamb and other meat. If you want UK items best to send over a Balikbayan Box once or twice a year and fill it with Oxo, mustard, beer, or any other items you might want and need.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Hi Simon1983,

Thanks for the useful information. San Fernando is one of the places Ive been looking at for long term rental before looking round for a more permanent home. If I may pick your brain some more given that you are already 'local' to my intended location.

1. Any experience of schools ?. I am looking at OB Montessori and Westfields. I will be on local package so international will be out of budget.
2. Eventually I will commute as my company are building a large facility down in Plaridel and place of work will be there. Do you think this is feasable given the traffic situation? I'm initially located in MNL and more probably south MNL so already know this is not practicable.
3. I would be very pleased to meet up and chew the fat but I've been out of UK for so long I probably dont have much news although I can talk about Vienna and East Europe as thats where I am presently !.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Simon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

1. I dont know much about schools. I will be putting my eldest daughter (9 years old) into a 'semi-private'. I think it will be around 20k-30k per year.
The best school I know of in and around Angeles is Bright Woods. It's not international but is where my more well of friends send their children. The price depends on the age of the child... I think high school would be about 80K but then you need to add trips, books, music lessons etc on top of that probably.
I dont know of the other schools, sorry. Best to look around and speak to the teachers as the style and standard of education can vary from school to school.
2. I dont know too much about that area but if you are on the express way there shouldn't be traffic. San Fernando can be very busy but there are lots of subdivisions close to the express way so if you choose one of those you wouldnt meet much traffic. Definitely wouldn't commute to the South of Manila each day! Once a week will be stressful enough!
3. Sure just get in touch once you're settled in.

Any more questions, reach out anytime.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Commuting via Manila will be a nightmare
we live south metro area and it can take over 2 sometime three hours to get into the CBD.

''The By passes'' Edsa and C5 are just car parks. I dead to think how long a North/south commute could take.

They tell us that the through carriageways will be running by 2019, they have been telling us that since I arrived 15 plus years ago. Yes they are making slow progress but slow is the operative.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Hi All,

Just wanted to drop a note to say I have arrived in the Philippines and would have written sooner but its been a bit mental for the first month. We have sorted out the school, house in Angeles, my apartment in Manila (Alabang), work visa is still ongoing, Tax is reasonable, Purchased and registered wifeys car (actually got it in San Fernando Simon1983 !). Working on the car license but need visa to complete this.

Weekend commute is a nightmare ! best route is down past Intramoras/docks and then jump onto C3 or C4. Best to use Waze to help you get around and choose route, but sends you to some strange places sometimes !

Rustans at Fil Invest has colemans mustard. Some great bacon at a deli in Angeles along with nice pork sausages!

Once our new facility is built I will commute daily as its only 45 mins away from Angeles City.

Just got to wait for our container now. !

Cheers
Chris
Old Jun 5th 2017, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisKVie

Cheers
Chris
Careful when the container arrives, the local agents quite often try and persuade you to have it decanted into 2 smaller vehicles to save money. Don't let them, if they insist, get nasty. They tried it with me without success and were very insistent, but I know of two people who let them, both times all the best bits disappeared and the insurance companies both said they would not pay up because they had not authorised the opening of the container.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisKVie
Hi All,

Just wanted to drop a note to say I have arrived in the Philippines and would have written sooner but its been a bit mental for the first month. We have sorted out the school, house in Angeles, my apartment in Manila (Alabang), work visa is still ongoing, Tax is reasonable, Purchased and registered wifeys car (actually got it in San Fernando Simon1983 !). Working on the car license but need visa to complete this.

Weekend commute is a nightmare ! best route is down past Intramoras/docks and then jump onto C3 or C4. Best to use Waze to help you get around and choose route, but sends you to some strange places sometimes !

Rustans at Fil Invest has colemans mustard. Some great bacon at a deli in Angeles along with nice pork sausages!

Once our new facility is built I will commute daily as its only 45 mins away from Angeles City.

Cheers
Chris
Welcome to the Phils. If you want bacon etc look up the Welsh Deli in Las Pinas on Facebook. Roy does great bacon, pies and sausages. He ships overnight to us down here in Cebu and the quality is great. I think he delivers free around Las Pinas.
I think you have a max of 90 days for using your UK licence and need 12 months visa validity to get a licence (unless you know someone of course!)

gary
Old Jun 5th 2017, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We organized a 40ft container to bring our household goods over from the UK.We really went into great detail as most U.K. Companies wanted charge ridiculous rates. The most difficult part was finding a Filipino clearing agent,especially for non commercial goods.Without exception not one replied to our U.K. Originated emails!

We managed to find one by driving down to Subic whilst on vacation here. Subic was the best port

as we live in Pangasinan.We had also heard of horror stories using the port of Manila.
The shipping agents handled everything,even photographing the container being opened and closed for the customs inspection.We were not prepared to drive down to Subic for a 5 minute inspection. We paid all the custom charges (could not arrange appropriate visa in time) and the container arrived with all goods undamaged and nothing missing.
The cost for the internal cartage was PHP 38K........very cheap, UK companies wanted PHP 70k plus. Agents costs were very reasonable (can look it up if you need to know).

Mikek1
Old Jun 6th 2017, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to all for the heads up on shipping issues. FYI to all this is what I do for a living so you now have a contact with a large local PH company that can guide and advise through this potential minefield. Whilst we dont normally do personal effects we can help on customs clearance et al. Hopefully I can repay the advise given with tips of my own :-) and if I dont know, I know a man that can !

Thanks for the Welsh Deli tip I will definitely try this out.

Cheers !
Chris
Old Jun 6th 2017, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quiltman
Welcome to the Phils. If you want bacon etc look up the Welsh Deli in Las Pinas on Facebook. Roy does great bacon, pies and sausages. He ships overnight to us down here in Cebu and the quality is great. I think he delivers free around Las Pinas.
I think you have a max of 90 days for using your UK licence and need 12 months visa validity to get a licence (unless you know someone of course!)

gary
Quiltman
this place is not far from my door step. I just ordered 5800 pesos of goodies and hope they get delivered today. thank you
Old Jun 6th 2017, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikemike
Quiltman
this place is not far from my door step. I just ordered 5800 pesos of goodies and hope they get delivered today. thank you
You're welcome. Be aware that sometimes it takes a few days as Roy tends to make to order. Our last order took 6 days from order to despatch, the previous one 2 days. Well worth the wait. Roy will also change things if you want - for example he uses collagen skins as standard for sausages but can use natural ones if you want. He'll slice the bacon thinner or thicker etc. A great supplier! No, I've never met him nor have anything to do with him but it's good to be able to pass on these kind of people who make our lives here just that little bit better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.