Hello everyone.

Old Oct 15th 2015, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Graham99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello everyone.

Just joined this site and read a few recent threads, I have been here a year now and enjoying the peaceful life, living near butuan city,(are you all in manilla?) Missing some decent cheese, and a steak any ideas, stocks in supermarkets seem to be hit and miss, maybe they have stock, maybe they dont.

I am on a tourist visa, which i can now renew every 6 months which is a blesssing after doing it every 2 months. I am told its good for 3 years before i need to do a visa run.

Any hints and tips for living here will be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham
Old Oct 15th 2015, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello everyone.

Originally Posted by Graham99
Just joined this site and read a few recent threads, I have been here a year now and enjoying the peaceful life, living near butuan city,(are you all in manilla?) Missing some decent cheese, and a steak any ideas, stocks in supermarkets seem to be hit and miss, maybe they have stock, maybe they dont.

I am on a tourist visa, which i can now renew every 6 months which is a blesssing after doing it every 2 months. I am told its good for 3 years before i need to do a visa run.

Any hints and tips for living here will be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham
Hei Graham. Can give some advice with steaks, the main problem here is that very few fry meat so therefore it does not require hanging. Best thing is go to you local wet market and buy a large lump of whatever steak you like ( I buy whole fillets ). When you get it home drop it in a pillow case and place in a large plastic box in the fridge and leave it there for about 3 weeks turning every couple of days. Trim the meat and cut into steaks, use or freeze. You may need to adjust the timing a bit depending on your preference.

As for cheese, you are on your own.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks, will try the steak . Maybe i am stuck with american cheddar
Old Oct 15th 2015, 10:03 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Hei Graham. Can give some advice with steaks, the main problem here is that very few fry meat so therefore it does not require hanging. Best thing is go to you local wet market and buy a large lump of whatever steak you like ( I buy whole fillets ). When you get it home drop it in a pillow case and place in a large plastic box in the fridge and leave it there for about 3 weeks turning every couple of days. Trim the meat and cut into steaks, use or freeze. You may need to adjust the timing a bit depending on your preference.

As for cheese, you are on your own.
You forgot to say what to do with the pillow case
Old Oct 15th 2015, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
You forgot to say what to do with the pillow case
Pop it back in the laundry basket before her indoors sees it, they make heck of a fuss.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 1:34 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Pop it back in the laundry basket before her indoors sees it, they make heck of a fuss.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Butuan is not too far from cdo

CDO is opening an SR warehouse with imported USA steaks plus from NZ and Australia Its an annual membership arrangement and may be worth while if you are on a one month shopping spree etc Not sure when the SR is opening
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Sounds good i check it out. Thanks
Old Oct 18th 2015, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! SM sells McLelland Scottish cheese -2 types of Cheddar, Double gloucester and Red leicester. My wife says they're OK - I don't do cheese so my opinion is worthless!

Agree that better meat can be found at S&R - it's 700pesos for the year but we certainly get our moneys worth as you can get stuff there you'll not find elsewhere - mainly US & australian admittedly, but also UK things from time to time. Otherwise make friends with someone who gets balikbayan boxes sent from UK and ask them to include whatever tickles your fancy.