Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Have anyone visit the Philippines?

Have anyone visit the Philippines?

Old Nov 5th 2001, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Jasper is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been to this beautiful island last August 2001 on business trip. At first i was a little bit apprehensive in going, mainly because of the bad news i've been hearing about the country. But just the same i had to go. I was booked in a hotel at Roxas Boulevard just right beside Manila Bay. I was relieved by the beautiful sunset of the city not to mention the the well lighted & merry establishments nearby. Hey the hotel was great, and so are the people. everything here is cheap, the food, entertainment, transport fares & even whowaaa the girls, hmmm i wish i had one. My Filipino business counterparts treated me great, we went to Tagaytay a highland city viewing the Taal Volcano, oh my what a site. And so i begin to wonder why they give a damn news about this island when it was so beautiful. Crimes happen everywhere, even in the most secured country that we know. And upon learning how great this country is, i decided to prolong my stay and visit many places. We went to a beautiful beach called Puerto Galera in Mindoro, and guess what? There were a lot of expat Germans now living there, enjoying the beautiful scenery of the sea. And yes, they're staying there for good. Oh god, this is really a paradise to me. I wish i could stay here a year or so. But i had to come back to work again in Munich. But i promised to come back again this December. this time i'll be going to the world famous beach, The Boracay Beach. WAIT FOR ME PHILIPPINES, CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK. Try it for yourself, and explore the the country's 7,100 islands....
Old Nov 6th 2001, 1:46 pm
Bill

Hi Jasper, I had the same impression when I arrived in January 1980, planning to
travel for 2 months but staying 4 months. I just felt SO AT HOME in the Philippines
and amongst the Filipinos. It's the ONLY country out of the almost 30 countries I
have visited that I feel so comfortable living and traveling there. A few years
later I met my Filipina wife, Lorna, in Seoul, S. Korea and after we became
successful in business while based in Hong Kong we moved to the Philippines to start
our family. I LOVE the PHILIPPINES; on your next trip feel free to drop by at our
small hotel / hostel, The Townhouse Hotel near the Manila airports, also located on
Roxas Blvd for a drink and chat. Or join us at Villa Camilla on Boracay Island for a
sunset "Happy Hour".

http://homepages.about.com/asiabill/travelphilippines/

Jasper <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 7th 2001, 12:32 am
Viktormattes

Hi I have been last at the townhouse .I can recommend it to easy travellers.Very
friedly people but no surroundings and bars at night. Sorry Bill But I would go there
everytime again Viktor

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I have been to this beautiful island last August 2001 on business trip. At first[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i was a little bit apprehensive in going, mainly because of the bad news i've[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > been hearing about the country. But just the same i had to go. I was booked in a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > hotel at Roxas Boulevard just right beside Manila Bay. I was relieved by the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > beautiful sunset of the city not to mention the the well lighted & merry[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > establishments nearby. Hey the hotel was great, and so are the people. everything[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > here is cheap, the food, entertainment, transport fares & even whowaaa the girls,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > hmmm i wish i had one. My Filipino business counterparts treated me great, we[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > went to Tagaytay a highland city viewing the Taal Volcano, oh my what a site. And[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > so i begin to wonder why they give a damn news about this island when it was so[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > beautiful. Crimes happen everywhere, even in the most secured country that we[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > know. And upon learning how great this country is, i decided to prolong my stay[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and visit many places. We went to a beautiful beach called Puerto Galera in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Mindoro, and guess what? There were a lot of expat Germans now living there,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > enjoying the beautiful scenery of the sea. And yes, they're staying there for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > good. Oh god, this is really a paradise to me. I wish i could stay here a year or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > so. But i had to come back to work again in Munich. But i promised to come back[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > again this December. this time i'll be going to the world famous beach, The[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Boracay Beach. WAIT FOR ME PHILIPPINES, CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK. Try it for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > yourself, and explore the the country's 7,100 islands....[/usenetquote2]

Old Nov 7th 2001, 1:14 am
Reinsss

[email protected] (Bill)
[usenetquote2]> > I have been to this beautiful island last August 2001 on business trip. At first[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i was a little bit apprehensive in going, mainly because of the bad news i've[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > been hearing about the country. But just the same i had to go. I was booked in a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > hotel at Roxas Boulevard just right beside Manila Bay. I was relieved by the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > beautiful sunset of the city not to mention the the well lighted & merry[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > establishments nearby. Hey the hotel was great, and so are the people. everything[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > here is cheap, the food, entertainment, transport fares & even whowaaa the girls,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > hmmm i wish i had one. My Filipino business counterparts treated me great, we[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > went to Tagaytay a highland city viewing the Taal Volcano, oh my what a site. And[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > so i begin to wonder why they give a damn news about this island when it was so[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > beautiful. Crimes happen everywhere, even in the most secured country that we[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > know. And upon learning how great this country is, i decided to prolong my stay[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and visit many places. We went to a beautiful beach called Puerto Galera in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Mindoro, and guess what? There were a lot of expat Germans now living there,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > enjoying the beautiful scenery of the sea. And yes, they're staying there for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > good. Oh god, this is really a paradise to me. I wish i could stay here a year or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > so. But i had to come back to work again in Munich. But i promised to come back[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > again this December. this time i'll be going to the world famous beach, The[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Boracay Beach. WAIT FOR ME PHILIPPINES, CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK. Try it for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > yourself, and explore the the country's 7,100 islands....[/usenetquote2]

Well Im glad that you enjoyed your visit in the Philippines. I wish everyone thinks
the way you do about the crimes that are going on right now back home. People does
not realize how much crime there is everywhere you go.

My cousins husbands love the scenery in the Philippines and so does the peoples
hospitality. Plus everyone speaks english so you won't have a hard time communicating
to almost everyone.

The food is always fresh and yeah, you have to go to Boracay. Its also cheap there,
and you can always bargain. The sea food is always fresh and cheap.

Have fun if you go back. My boyfriend and I are going this coming summer and he can't
wait from what he's been hearing from my cousins husbands.

Old Nov 7th 2001, 1:17 am
Reinsss

[email protected] (Bill)

Well Im glad that you enjoyed your visit in the Philippines. I wish everyone thinks
the way you do about the crimes that are going on right now back home. People does
not realize how much crime there is everywhere you go.

My cousins husbands love the scenery in the Philippines and so does the peoples
hospitality. Plus everyone speaks english so you won't have a hard time communicating
to almost everyone.

The food is always fresh and yeah, you have to go to Boracay. Its also cheap there,
and you can always bargain. The sea food is always fresh and cheap.

Have fun if you go back. My boyfriend and I are going this coming summer and he can't
wait from what he's been hearing from my cousins husbands.

Old Nov 7th 2001, 2:42 pm
_______tvd________

[email protected]

Don't want people to get wrong impression , 'cause this sounds one sided . The
R.P. is not crime free , nor is the food allways fresh . In '99 i stayed in Cebu
city Cebu 2nd major city of the R.P.'s 7200 islands . On Jones blvd , down to the
Shell gas station , make a R , 3 steets down is med college and you'll pass an
obviously drug peddling area , man shot on July 1 '99 here . I saw him shot , kids
laughing as if a joke . Drug deal gone wrong . The govt as all govt's persecutes
it's people so you get drugs , crime . Food ? I would not eat off the street ! I
had to find places like MacDonalds and the low cost Sbarros in the Cebu bus'
center . SBarros sphagetti w/ meat sauce was about $.90 , garlic bread was $.25 .
There are certain areas that are very dangerous , especially in Manila . Contrary
to rumor , Mindinao is not so dangerous to Americans , it's mostly Chineese that
are kidnapped there ' cause they pay willingly . And the anti American thing from
the Muslims there is not as bad as the ambulance chasing news media says it is ,
but for this short time frame after Sept 11 , i'd not ravel there , let it cool
for a year . They are very puritan , religous , Catholic in R.P. Even more
religous in Mindanao , far more muslims there . They can't wear a bathing suit in
Mind' as it would expose their upper leg . I had ladys refuse to ring me up in
Cebu as they'd lose their reputation ! This is puritan . Everything is sold as low
a price as possible , smokes are sold individually ( seldom in T' ) more often
than packs , jeepney drivers stop for less than 8 seconds every 10 blocks and a
boy runs up to sell and light his smoke . Bike repairman are proud they charge
$1.00 to rebuild your B.B. . Shoe repairman charge less than a $1 to fix small
problems with your sandals and want give you change . Not in Thailand , you'll pay
double or triple to have shoes fixed .

No place is perfect ! All the paradices are gone !

Thailand is not as puritan , religous . Hotel clerks didn't even raise an eyebrow
as i spent the night w/ girlfriend . Food is far superior , they have more pride
in T' . Transportation is much better , no jeepneys . BUT NO ONE SPEAKS AMERICAN !
So you are at a big disadvantage . Poverty is far less in T' . Personality is far
more stoic , and violence a bit higher but is not Muslim centered , .... as
Thailand is not sympathetic to Muslim as R.P.
is . In all Asia there is high predujice .
i.t. treats Muslim a bit better than T' , tolerates the Muslim insurgency and
kidnapping more . I'm talking small differences here .

================================================

Reinsss <
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >