George Cole

Old Aug 9th 2015, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default George Cole

So sad to hear of his death at 90. Many of you will have enjoyed George Cole's Arthur Daley in the 1970s and 80s Minder series. But it's interesting to also view some of his early roles in such films as Too Many Crooks (1959), The Belles of St Trinians (1954) and Cottage to Let (1941), where George plays a precocious and slightly menacing 15 year old at the same age. All easily available through BitTorrent.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: George Cole

Originally Posted by Raffin
So sad to hear of his death at 90. Many of you will have enjoyed George Cole's Arthur Daley in the 1970s and 80s Minder series. But it's interesting to also view some of his early roles in such films as Too Many Crooks (1959), The Belles of St Trinians (1954) and Cottage to Let (1941), where George plays a precocious and slightly menacing 15 year old at the same age. All easily available through BitTorrent.
I thought his best was in Blot on the Landscape playing an S&M enjoying member of the Lords, brilliant. God rest his soul.

youtube (dot)com/watch?v=w3TUU6313Xs
Old Aug 9th 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestion Stokkevn, will take a look. I was abroad at the time and missed that series.
Judging by his roles in those early years his characters certainly mellowed over time, with just some of his Minder performances showing a dark side of Artur Daley. Reading up on his acting beginnings I see that he and his adoptive mother went to live with Alistair Sim and stayed until George was 27. The ultra sinister Sim closely mentored the young George so that's maybe why his early roles had an edge to them?
Old Aug 19th 2015, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin
Thanks for the suggestion Stokkevn, will take a look. I was abroad at the time and missed that series.
I was overseas from 75 to 2005 so if you have any suggestions of anything I might have missed of his or others
Old Aug 19th 2015, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

He did a few other TV sitcoms but they don't seem to be available as torrents. There was just one episode of one series listed, but no seed. It would be nice if it was re-seeded following his recent death.
Blott is indeed funny, but for me his role in the long running Minder is best. Plus the excellent location work and insights into the shady London business world of the 70s and 80s.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

PS The first episode of Don't Forget to Write is on You Tube. Builds up nicely. Also two episodes of Dad and one of Comrade Dad, which I haven't watched yet. A shame one can't get series. But the film Too Many Crooks is there.