Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Generic Medicine in The Philippines

Generic Medicine in The Philippines

Old Sep 4th 2017, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Generic Medicine in The Philippines

Greetings,

I was going to bring this subject up in my regular blog, but thought it was worthy of a separate thread.

I have maintenance meds for BP, Cholesterol and Hiatus Hernia and obtain them generally from a generic pharmacy (TGF). Mainly because its cheaper (but not always) and there is less of a queue. Glades pharmacy which does not sell generics is always packed out. I do not use Senior Citizens Card because it is illegal.

The natives here so I am told steer clear of generic medicines because they believe it to be fake. I have always thought that was rubbish and have had no problems.....but I am beginning to wonder. The reason for this is two-fold. Over the past few weeks, my blood pressure which I check weekly has been rising to a very high 180/105 and another tablet which I take daily just appears to pass through my system hardly dissolved. Now, some of you who read my blogs may not have to wonder why my BP has been rising. But I just wonder if its due to a faulty/fake batch of tablets. BP thankfully is now back to normal after changing my prescription which I still obtain from TGF.

So, I thought I would throw this topic open for the benefit of all and welcome your thoughts.

Regards

Pete
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Generic Medicine in The Philippines

Well Pete, just relax, Arsenal will get over this rough patch!

TGP is the leading Generics retailer, Ok it's a franchise so I suppose that could increase the risk of counterfeits getting through, but it seems very unlikely.

Rather than counterfeits, might there just have been a quality control lapse? No way of finding that out, though.

The locals note that their doctors are ambivalent about prescribing them, but we know that is often because they are not promoted by the med reps. My wife claims sometimes that the Generics economise on the coatings and they don't taste or digest nicely...well, you can't argue that one!

Yes, can be a lot cheaper, two examples quickly come to my mind: Ranitidine and Dalacin C AB.

Could worry really overwhelm a BP medication? Might be worth consulting the doc about that. You say you're back to normal with the same drugs at TGF......just see the doc if the temporary hypertension happens again, because it might be due to some specific cause in your body going off and on.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Generic Medicine in The Philippines

My wife uses many generics. I use Search Drug Information, Interactions, Images, Dosage & Side Effects | MIMS.com Malaysia (I know it says Malaysia but if you check the link it is actually PH!) to check what generics are available here, who imports them , and the generic name. Aspirin, atovorstatin and Losartan we use Watsons generics - much cheaper - and for others such as Bisoprolol and tramadol/paracetamol combination we use 360 pharmacy buying one of the named generics listed on Mims. OK for her insulin we use branded as they are the only ones licenced for here. Her doctors actually recommend some of the generics, others we get the info and get doctor to confirm they are suitable alternative to brand names. I've just looked up Ranitidine and there are 17 generics licenced for sale here!