Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Further Education in the Philippines

Further Education in the Philippines

Old Sep 5th 2017, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Further Education in the Philippines

Originally Posted by kompani101
We've just returned from a 40 minute meeting with the 'Senior High School Coordinator'. What a thoroughly depressing experience. I have never met with such a negative attitude and defeatist outlook. Creativity is an unknown concept whilst thinking within a box, within a welded container is seen as 'normal'. Very, very depressing indeed. Every question is met with a reason why it cannot be done, well rehearsed excuses abound. Apparently spending lots of time on 'dance practice' is seen as good for 17 & 18 year old students in their final, critical, year of education. Passing on information about further education or career advice to students or parents is not seen as the responsibility of the high school, basically you're on your own, despite the school espousing being the 'education experts'. I went in with very low expectations and even those where not met. It has been a very, very disappointing experience. As a contributor has mentioned previously perhaps starting a micro-business for them is the answer rather than waste money on higher education which is mainly of such an incredibly low standard.
A huge thanks to everyone that has commented, very greatly appreciated.
You came out of the meeting with quite a positive outcome. I have heard that some parents have been told that the school would not be recommending their child for any further education as they still owe the school P100 or so for project work or the costume for the very important dance class. The local school here spreads it's school year as follows
Jan to Feb - practicing for the valentines ball and King & Queen presentation
Feb to Easter - practice to dress up and hit a drum for the Easter parade
Easter to June - Holiday
June to end July - practice to dress up and hit a drum for the local fiesta at end July
End July to early Sept - Girls practice cheer-leading, boys practice basketball for local championship
Sept to Early Nov - school work
Early Nov to mid Dec - practice dancing and hitting a drum for Xmas parade.
End of school year parents charged 25 Peso for each teacher signature on report card ( 11 subjects to be signed for ), no Peso no pass.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very sadly I can believe that from our own experience. We have paid for a couple of ceiling fans for the classroom our daughters use and one wall fan in the past 2 years. I insisted on a receipt and our daughters confirmed the purchase with photographs of the fans installed. In return my wife was voted deputy PTA leader for the year, twice, but has never been invited to an actual PTA meeting. I raised the subject of 'dance' being high on the activities, apparently it is cultural. I also raised the number of half days 'holiday' they have, on top of the huge quantity of other holidays, but I was told they are not half day holidays but activities our daughters do not do, a subtle but important difference apparently. It is very rare for a week to pass by without either a full day or a half day holiday.
This evening we discussed, as a family, starting a small business if our pursuit of suitable higher education is not successful. Life goes on.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

You can then all stay together on Panay. Had a quick look on Wiki....it mentions the folk dancing!

Sending your daughters away to Uni involves many issues...our daughter got into a Manila University located in its Northern area. As we lived at the southern edge of MM we arranged for her to stay in a dorm. She lasted only a few nights. Luckily we had a car and she could drive, so she drove the 30km each way for a while and then my Brother-in -Law took over. In the late 90s the traffic wasn't half as bad as it is now
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Raffin
You can then all stay together on Panay. Had a quick look on Wiki....it mentions the folk dancing!

Sending your daughters away to Uni involves many issues...our daughter got into a Manila University located in its Northern area. As we lived at the southern edge of MM we arranged for her to stay in a dorm. She lasted only a few nights. Luckily we had a car and she could drive, so she drove the 30km each way for a while and then my Brother-in -Law took over. In the late 90s the traffic wasn't half as bad as it is now
My wife has a relative currently studying accountancy at Universidad De Manila and she stays with close relatives in the city but they have very limited space for more borders. Another relative, currently visiting us with their family, live in Cavite City but too far to travel into Manila on a daily basis. On our island of Panay we have a few Universities in our local town of Roxas City but the better (relative term) ones are in the south of the island in Iloilo which is a 4 hour drive away so boarding would be needed. I really don't think our girls are sufficiently 'worldly wise/mature' to cope away from home on their own without some supervision for a while. It's a real dilemma.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

A nurse we know at UST Hospital travels to and from Imus, Cavite to work daily, using UVs. She could work locally but everything is much better for her at UST. Cavite City is a similar distance from UST, while the Universities in the so-called "University Belt" are much nearer than UST. The highway from Imus through Bacoor is congested, while coming from Cavite City you can get onto the MCX at Kawit and speed along. Early start needed though due to congestion on the Coastal Highway before Roxas Blvd.

It might be critical whether access to Kawit from where they would be in Cavite City is easy.

There may even be buses from Cavite City/Kawit, the UVs always look a bit uncomfortable to me.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kompani101
I really don't think our girls are sufficiently 'worldly wise/mature' to cope away from home on their own without some supervision.
I know a few 35 year olds with the same problem.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information. I'll discuss it with my brother-in-law who lives in Cavite and is presently staying with us. I checked the website of the Universidad De Manila, where one of my wife's relations is currently studying but the entry requirements is that the student must be a bona fide resident of Manila, graduate of any Manila Public High School and parent(s) must be a Manila registered voter or taxpayer.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

UDM sounds a bit parochial? They just might be flexible, but across the Pasig River there are plenty of universities offering accountancy courses who might be more amenable, if some separation from the relative at UDM is Ok with you.