Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Foreign currency advice please?

Foreign currency advice please?

Old Jan 25th 2017, 6:01 am
Just Joined

soulman1949 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreign currency advice please?

We're going on a week's break from here in the Phils to Vietnam in around 5 weeks time for my better half's birthday (changing planes in Bangkok via GenSan and Manila).

I've sussed the ideal way to transfer currency from the UK to the Phils (especially since we got a joint PHP account with BDO) but I really don't know what to do for the best as regards the Vietnam trip, or come to that, the few hours each way that we'll have in Bangkok airport.

Here in Koronadal it's difficult to change sterling into PHP, only USD seems to be universally accepted by the banks. One of the pensions which will fund the day to day stuff of the trip is sitting in my UK bank account. What's best? Transferring the UK funds into my Peso account and then converting/taking US Dollars over to Vietnam or taking Pesos across to Thailand/Vietnam? Do I change funds at the airport in Hanoi?

I know that with multiple currency conversions I'm going to get screwed but I don't want that to be too painful - ease of transaction is the prime objective and reasonable conversion rate a secondary one. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this financial route.

I'm also cross posting this into the main Far East and Asia forum to get some input on the Vietnam end of things.

Thanks

Alan
Old Jan 26th 2017, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign currency advice please?

You could consider using your UK banks Debit Card if you have one. Rates via ATM's are usually far better than changing money at a Forex Bureau. I am sure there are many ATM's at the airports in Vietnam.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bealinehx, much appreciated.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Whichever way you decide to go it wouldn't hurt to have 50-100$ in your wallet just in case you have problems immediately after you land.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Sound advice, thanks Gazza-d
Old Jan 27th 2017, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
You could consider using your UK banks Debit Card if you have one. Rates via ATM's are usually far better than changing money at a Forex Bureau. I am sure there are many ATM's at the airports in Vietnam.
Google this. Not all reviews are positive: daily limit being low, handling fee high and hidden charges in exchange rates.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

SushiFan.
Agreed.
However it depends on your bank. If in doubt check directly with them.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you folks, makes sense to have alternative options, I think.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
SushiFan.
Agreed.
However it depends on your bank. If in doubt check directly with them.
When I was in the UK a couple of years ago there were a few credit cards that seemed to be tailor made to travelers or OFWs ( where they gave the card to the family here and topped it up from the UK ) offering very good exchange rates and low or no transaction fees, all of them were top up type cards. I can not remember the names of them but maybe worth a quick investigation.