Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Finding Positions in Manila

Finding Positions in Manila

Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:02 am
Just Joined

UAEtoPH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding Positions in Manila

Hi all!

I am British (27) and my wife is from Cebu, Philippines (28).

We have traveled a lot together and worked in Dubai the majority of our marriage, except for a short stint in Germany.

After our most recent trip to the Philippines I started to consider work their. I am currently working in Dubai as a Senior Quantity Surveyor for a large international Main Contractor. I have looked online I only really come across positions aimed at locals, however from time to time their seems to be a job posting for an expat.

Is there anyone in this forum with tips on where I should be looking for expat construction positions?

Regards
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding Positions in Manila

It is almost impossible as an expat to find good paying work here. However as your wife is a Filipina I believe she can sponsor you for a 13A visa which I think allows you to work here.Others will know exactly.Your main hope is to find a non Philippine company who has a contract here, needs your type of skills and can get you an Alien Employment Permit to work on a contract here. The vacancy has to published in the papers with your name, the job, salary etc to allow any Filipino willing and able to perform the job to apply. If he/she meets the required qualifications then they get the job! In practice the main jobs for expats are the hospitality and diving areas, occaisionally a software or manufacturing comapny may have a vacancy. Be prepared for low wages even if you find a position unless employed by an overseas company who will pay you at their rates. I think the only area where it is easier is in the tax free manufacturing zones. There is a guy in Manila who looks for expats, but it's call centre work and pays around 30K pesos per month - about £500.
sorry not to be more positive, but unless you are retired, it's difficult as an expat to make a living here. some expats do have businesses but usually in their wifes name or as a Filipino Corporation which must be 60% Filipino owned.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:29 am
Just Joined

UAEtoPH is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply, it is actually as expected. I don't think 30k peso would cover my wife's make up and salon expenses haha!

The types of positions I am looking for a few and far between. I occasionally see one or two pop up on one of the executive recruitment sites with salaries of around $10k-$15k (USD) per month working for large international Main Contractors but these are rare.

I guess I will just have to go about my thing for a few years and apply for the ones that do come up. Not ready to retire just yet....

Old Mar 30th 2017, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UAEtoPH
Thanks for the reply, it is actually as expected. I don't think 30k peso would cover my wife's make up and salon expenses haha!

The types of positions I am looking for a few and far between. I occasionally see one or two pop up on one of the executive recruitment sites with salaries of around $10k-$15k (USD) per month working for large international Main Contractors but these are rare.

I guess I will just have to go about my thing for a few years and apply for the ones that do come up. Not ready to retire just yet....

I assume you are QS for oil/gas companies, the main/only oil company here is Shell who operate Malampaya, they occasionally advertise in Europe for expats here. A few months ago there was an international power transmission company looking for expats to work in the Philippines, day rates seemed compatible with international oil company rates.

If you are any good in English there is an advert on the right hand side of this page "Home Based English Trainers, earn up to PHP58k/mo".

As others have said, difficult to get a decent job here
Old Mar 30th 2017, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Stokkevn,

I cannot see the advert on the right hand side about teacher jobs. Maybe my Adblocker is to blame. Would be grateful if you post a link. Thanks!

Regards

Pete
Old Mar 30th 2017, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springsteen11
Stokkevn,

I cannot see the advert on the right hand side about teacher jobs. Maybe my Adblocker is to blame. Would be grateful if you post a link. Thanks!

Regards

Pete
OK it may not come up every time ( I now see "Visit Australia" and "Soak up Vietnam Culture" ads and no learn English ones ). The one who ran the advert was something like Bizmates, not too sure if it is a Philippine company or an international one. If you can not find/locate it, revert and next time I see it I will post the link
Old Mar 30th 2017, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

yes there are two on line pop ups

1 Bizmates

2 Rare job

Both are Philippines based for employment purposes even if the affiliated HO is offshore
Old Mar 30th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikemike
yes there are two on line pop ups

1 Bizmates

2 Rare job

Both are Philippines based for employment purposes even if the affiliated HO is offshore
Thanks for confirming that it was not the beer that made me think there was an advert, I was beginning to wonder
Old Apr 1st 2017, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Home-based online teaching English jobs | Bizmates