Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

European expats living in the Philippines

European expats living in the Philippines

Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: European expats living in the Philippines

German TV is not usually scrambled, so the various ways of receiving it, satellite, internet are sufficient, he will need a PAL G TV to watch German satellite TV though. PAL stands for Picture Always Lousey

PAL, NTSC, SECAM etc are the standards for display on TV, only France uses SECAM, it stands for Something Essentially Contrary to the American Method ( joke)
British TV is usually scrambled on satellite.

One extra thing that you need for British TV on satellite, is that you will need a PAL I television, Filipino TVs are the American NTSC standard. NTSC stands for Never Twice the Same Colour

To receive British TV on the internet you will need a proxy software, which makes the UK website think that you have a UK I/p address, IP address is like a telephone number for your Computer. The reception is usually jumpy due to the slower speed caused by the proxy and the distance, this is only good quality if you have fast internet connection.
There are various companies that offer proxies and other computer tricks to allow you to look at British TV, most have a free trial.

There are even a few Filipino cheap internet companies that piggyback on Globe and Smart that give you this service as a byproduct.

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Sep 8th 2012 at 3:10 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

well sprout you went back to the origanle post you can try uk nova or the box also i think ex pat tv all need to be looked at first
Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

piero is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i sweat 18 hours a day even after 3 years also the locals sweat but they have to just get on with it
Old Oct 13th 2012, 3:35 am
Just Joined

tallchefuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robbo462003
Do europeans living in the Philippines find it difficult to adjust to the tropical climate ?
No the weather is so nice its the rest of the things i find difficult...

Ask a question get half a story or a made up story
Getting in a taxi and the driver never knows where the hell he is going
or he will say how much are you giving me
Finding food ingredients even in the best supermarkets
Getting somewhere on time is a bloody nightmare
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:14 am
Banned

Friendly O is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all,

I am travelling to Manila during the next week, arriving on the 20th of April.

I would really like to meet up with fellow European expats for a nice chat and a banter, but I'm afraid I don't know anyone residing in Manila at the moment.

Would any of you nice chaps be up for a beer or two next week?
The first beer will be on me!
Please let me know: oscarsilvatavares at hushmail dot com
Old May 24th 2013, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

honestjeenn is an unknown quantity at this point

You just need an aircon at home and go to the malls, or to the beach during summer.
Old May 25th 2013, 2:40 am
Just Joined

coogee is an unknown quantity at this point

i live in davao mindanao 5 years now, did think of baguio been there twice liked it very much but it rained everyday liked the boating lake davao is so hot at the moment but i like because i am a cold person i must say to anyone moving to the philippines to consider davao i consider it to be the most friendly and safest city in the philippines very strict man in control with zero tolerance when it comes to crime and drugs