Electrical Appliances

Old Oct 18th 2016, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electrical Appliances

I know there have been threads regarding this.....................but as we are moving permanently to the Philippines 20th November I need recent information on this subject.

We are shipping over all our UK furniture and electrical goods, TV's, washing machine, DVD Players, Home Cinema, freezer, etc. What do I need to ensure that the appliances will work efficiently on Philippine voltage (?).
If some devices are needed can I purchase them in the UK ?

Please keep the answers simple as my knowledge of electrics/electronics is limited.

Thanks,

Mike K
Old Oct 18th 2016, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Appliances

Originally Posted by mikek1
I know there have been threads regarding this.....................but as we are moving permanently to the Philippines 20th November I need recent information on this subject.

We are shipping over all our UK furniture and electrical goods, TV's, washing machine, DVD Players, Home Cinema, freezer, etc. What do I need to ensure that the appliances will work efficiently on Philippine voltage (?).
If some devices are needed can I purchase them in the UK ?

Please keep the answers simple as my knowledge of electrics/electronics is limited.

Thanks,

Mike K
The power system here does depend on where you are going to live, some areas have a fairly stable power ( when there is no brownout ). The power here is 220V and 60Hz, Capelco have managed to have a little variance on the voltage from 59V to 278V. The biggest problem is that here the frequency is 60Hz and the UK is 50Hz so before you buy anything check to see if can handle the 60Hz ( most equip has 50/60Hz on it ) but always worth checking.

If you have equipment that you treasure and is relatively low wattage you could look into getting a power stabiliser or even an inverter, your local electrical shop should be able to explain both a lot easier than me. Battery powered inverters have the advantage that they continue to power the item during a brownout.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Stokkevn re voltage variation. here's our experience over the last 3 years;

TV - works fine. Is multi voltage - 120-240 50/60Hz and multi standard- runs off cable box using HDMI
DVd - bought multi region/ multi standard one before we left.Plays anything we throw at it - UK dvds local dvds US dvds , you tube vids etc etc.
Fridge/Freezer - brought our American style freezer and upright freezer - both have worked fine for the last 3 years even though technically they are 50hz. The potential problem is that unless they are tropical rated, they have less insulation and will run more often in the heat over here. The rating plate will have letters such a S , ST , or T on them which tells you the climate it's designed for.
Home cinema - again works fine as its 120/240 50/60Hz
Washing machine - did not bring ours as there were two already in our sons house. If it's not very old then probably worth bringing, but if motor is only 240v 50Hz then it will run faster .European style machines are very expensive here but a basic 6kg top loader is about £100 and they all only have a cold water input - only the very expensive units will have a heater. Saying that, we've never had a problem using just cold water - well, it's tepid actually.
Phones, laptops. etc - Usually no problem as the power supplies tend to be all 120/240 50/60Hz - just check on the charger or the power supply.

NOTE: Most sockets here are US style 2 or 3 pin - you can buy multi outlets that are designed to take Uk/Schuko/Us plugs so we did not even have to change any plugs! HOWEVER be aware that if your appliance MUST have an earth then you'll have to run an extra earth(ground) cable as very few sockets have an earth. We were lucky in that our son had earths run to all the sockets when he had the house extended.

Phew! Hope this is of help, but if you have more questions then either post here or send me a PM.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
NOTE: Most sockets here are US style 2 or 3 pin - you can buy multi outlets that are designed to take Uk/Schuko/Us plugs so we did not even have to change any plugs! HOWEVER be aware that if your appliance MUST have an earth then you'll have to run an extra earth(ground) cable as very few sockets have an earth. We were lucky in that our son had earths run to all the sockets when he had the house extended.
Ref the sockets here, I bought on Ebay about 15 UK double wall sockets, with on/off switch, which I installed next to the local ones, most of my local bought electricals now have a UK plug now as well.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Ref the sockets here, I bought on Ebay about 15 UK double wall sockets, with on/off switch, which I installed next to the local ones, most of my local bought electricals now have a UK plug now as well.
Good idea! The beauty of using UK plugs is that they are individually fused, so if an item has a problem it will blow the plug fuse rather than taking out one of the main breakers! I hope you bought a pile of fuses to fit the plugs? I had about 50 assorted sizes in my toolbox and have only used one in 3 years. For us it was easier to buy multi way outlets here that take the UK plug.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Quiltman and Stokkevn, they are correct. Fuses can be bought in ACE Hardware, Citi and other big hardware shops. For an automatic washing machine. Water pressure might be a problem, you can always incorporate a pump to increase pressure.
You can buy adaptors to use UK plugs. Else you can buy Wonpro outlets that take any plug. Available in ACE and all the big hardware places.
The average electrician doesn't know what an earth is, confusing it with ground.
Either buy a stabiliser or unplug all electrical items, following a brownout. In case of a power surge.
For electrics Signal in Mandaue (for those in Cebu) have most of the difficult to find things.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
I agree with Quiltman and Stokkevn, they are correct. Fuses can be bought in ACE Hardware, Citi and other big hardware shops. For an automatic washing machine. Water pressure might be a problem, you can always incorporate a pump to increase pressure.
You can buy adaptors to use UK plugs. Else you can buy Wonpro outlets that take any plug. Available in ACE and all the big hardware places.
The average electrician doesn't know what an earth is, confusing it with ground.
Either buy a stabiliser or unplug all electrical items, following a brownout. In case of a power surge.
For electrics Signal in Mandaue (for those in Cebu) have most of the difficult to find things.
With respect to power surge after a brownout I have fitted all the things that normally stay plugged in with a UK 3 pin "Surge Protected Active" plug, but I do go round turning off the sockets as well if I remember.

Regarding water pumps, due to most of the plumbing in this place has never been tested before being covered up, pressure based pumps tend to loose a lot of water through leaky pipework. I use a flow activated pump these only come on when there is a water flow of more than 3ltr a min. Typical one is this 150W Automatic Household Booster Pump Boost Pressure and Circulate Water 220V | eBay but Amazon and others will sell similar.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at the multi-way adapters in Ace Hardware yesterday and noticed that some although having the receptacle for the UK earth pin there was no connector inside to make the connection. So be aware if you buy one.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I was looking at the multi-way adapters in Ace Hardware yesterday and noticed that some although having the receptacle for the UK earth pin there was no connector inside to make the connection. So be aware if you buy one.
The ones we buy do have the earth. They also have a US 3 pin plug. But here's the stupidity - you can unscrew the earth pin so it fits in a 2 pin socket! you gets what you pay for. OK, many modern devices are double insulated and don't have an earth - our dvd player for example has a plastic earth pin on the UK plug. Just be careful and yes, in a brown out switch them off until the power returns.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes look carefully at the adapters, most have the earth connector to the outside.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
Yes look carefully at the adapters, most have the earth connector to the outside.
We have 2 kettles - posh we is - and they have an earth wire with a ring connector coming out the back of the moulded 2 pin plug but where the heck we have to connect it to is beyond me!
Old Oct 20th 2016, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I wired our house with UK twin and earth using UK switches and sockets. I then installed an earth rod for the earth connection.Everything that then comes into the house then has a 3-pin plug fitted. Stops the neighbours borrowing them.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I wired our house with UK twin and earth using UK switches and sockets. I then installed an earth rod for the earth connection.Everything that then comes into the house then has a 3-pin plug fitted. Stops the neighbours borrowing them.
I think I'm going to cut off the kettle plugs and rewire them to UK plugs, then I know the earth is connected. I only have 3 plugs left tho' so one spare just in case someone smashes an existing plug. We have a great big earth rod at the rear of the house, just hope it works if needed!
Old Oct 20th 2016, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Two wires taped to the prongs, soon overcomes that!
Old Oct 20th 2016, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Fitting UK plugs with fuses will protect the equipment but will not ensure your own safety. Similarly circuit breakers fitted in the Main Distribution Board will protect the house wiring and any equipment connected to that circuit against overload, but again will do little to ensure your safety.
The fuses/breakers etc., will typically be 13A or 20A. Ventricular fibrillation can occur with current as low as 30mA, depending on whether the current flow is directly through the heart region of your body. The only safe way to protect yourself from electrical shock is to install RCD's or RCCB's in the main Distribution Board. These devices monitor and compare the current in the Live and the Neutral conductors. If there is an imbalance of more than the trip value of the device, typically 30 or 100mA, which is what occurs if you make contact with a live circuit and current starts to flow through you, they will trip.
I couldn't find these devices in Philippines so I took mine with me when building our house there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.