Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Driving Davao to Dumaguete

Driving Davao to Dumaguete

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Davao to Dumaguete

Hi All

We will be travelling up from Davao to Dumaguete in a few weeks to spend some time with the wifes family.

Planning on driving there in my pickup, and was looking at routes on Google maps.

Appreciate any feedback, advice from any members that have already made the journey.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Driving Davao to Dumaguete-img_6052.jpg  
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Davao to Dumaguete

I did that route a while back.

Up through the highlands to CDO then coast road to Dapitan get the ferry to Dumagute. There is a nice hotel in Dapitan not far from the ferry if you need to over night. This is a long drive from Davao, so you may wish to overnight.

The road from Davao into the Highlands used to be very good and the road widening at Malabalay is done. The coast road through CDO is also done so onward to Iligan is a good run. After that you get the ferry over to Ozamis (the over land route is not good best take the ferry) and is a very short ferry ride. The road through to Dapitan is very good. Dapitan if you get the time is worth a run through, it is very pretty and clean.
Ferry to Dumagutte is about 5 hours
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikemike
I did that route a while back.

Up through the highlands to CDO then coast road to Dapitan get the ferry to Dumagute. There is a nice hotel in Dapitan not far from the ferry if you need to over night. This is a long drive from Davao, so you may wish to overnight.

The road from Davao into the Highlands used to be very good and the road widening at Malabalay is done. The coast road through CDO is also done so onward to Iligan is a good run. After that you get the ferry over to Ozamis (the over land route is not good best take the ferry) and is a very short ferry ride. The road through to Dapitan is very good. Dapitan if you get the time is worth a run through, it is very pretty and clean.
Ferry to Dumagutte is about 5 hours
Thanks for the great feedback Mike. Google maps shows that route taking 2 hours longer than going via Digos/Pagadian City/Dapitan. Any reason not to take the route?
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

I took that route and went up through Cotabato and Marawi. I would not repeat that route as there are too many BIFF, ASG and other nutters along the route. Though the road was clear at that time it is heavily overgrown on the side and it was hard to spot the military guys doing road watch. As I had my foot down I did not notice whose military!!
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

codermonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

There were news reports of trouble in Marawi the other day.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

I took that route and went up through Cotabato and Marawi. I would not repeat that route as there are too many BIFF, ASG and other nutters along the route. Though the road was clear at that time it is heavily overgrown on the side and it was hard to spot the military guys doing road watch. As I had my foot down I did not notice whose military!!
Yes I can imagine Mike...!! In fact I wouldn't go via Marawi now for obvious reasons. I was thinking Cotabato, Malabang, Pagadian, Dapitan, i.e. the AH26 the whole way.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by codermonkey
There were news reports of trouble in Marawi the other day.
Really?
Old Apr 4th 2018, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

The road from Pagadian to Dapitan, via Dipolog was the very fist time i did that route.....never again

Despite its status on the map, this road is nothing but an unmade logging trail. The only paved road is where the small barangays are and do not run for more than 100 metres. Where you cross the river the ford is pretty much subject to how much rain has fallen and that may have been miles upstream. Without the Jeep I would never had made it. The joins to the ford leaving and arriving are large mud pools, thick mud that if you get stuck you will have to wait and hope a large truck will take pity on you and tow you out.

The stretch up to Pagadian is as lawless as the road up through Marawi. The reason I took the Marawi route was when I stopped to fill up the jeep. I had a lot of interest shown by a large number of guys who wanted to know where I was going. So I told them Zamboanga and took the right turn to Marawi instead. I am sure they will have posted my movements to a reception committee. I think the longer way around is safer, may even be quicker as the road from Pagadian to Dapitan via Dipolog is a morass and a mess. In saying this, the road from Dipolog to dapitan is first class you could be driving on a European style road, black top white lines clearly marked etc.

Do not do this journey in the dark, plan your route and your stops. I do not know what the ferry sailing times are these days but the ferry is big

Last edited by mikemike; Apr 4th 2018 at 6:21 am.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

When you know the name of the ferry check it on the international maritime registry. I took a ferry a few years ago which I recognised from when I lived in Norway. The maritime register history showed that it had been sold by the Norwegian company as scrap - in 1986.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot Mike for this valuable insight. So Davao, Valencia, Malaybalay, CDO, Iligan, Oramiz, Dapitan, is the route I'll use.

Cheers
Old Apr 4th 2018, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
When you know the name of the ferry check it on the international maritime registry. I took a ferry a few years ago which I recognised from when I lived in Norway. The maritime register history showed that it had been sold by the Norwegian company as scrap - in 1986.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by David Mashael
Thanks a lot Mike for this valuable insight. So Davao, Valencia, Malaybalay, CDO, Iligan, Oramiz, Dapitan, is the route I'll use.

Cheers
You can leave Davao in the dark, A breaking dawn behind you when in the Highlands is worth a picture stop and it will be very cool. Then head down and foot down to Dapitan. You should arrive in the dark. I did the Ozamis to Dapitan part in the dark and it is easy to get into a dead ahead side street as the sneaky curve of the road is too sneaky to see! the road surface will be good here as well. Should you find that you need to take a break then an overnight stop at Initao half way between CDO and Iligan is very easy. The beach resort on the right js called Midway, white sand and accommodation units reasonably priced. From there to Dapitan is a 4/5 hour run at the most and you can arrive to take a late morning ferry arriving 5 hours later at Dumaguette. Missing the ferry turn off to Ozamis is very easy, as like all things here the sign post to turn right is immediate!!
Old Apr 5th 2018, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

You can leave Davao in the dark, A breaking dawn behind you when in the Highlands is worth a picture stop and it will be very cool. Then head down and foot down to Dapitan. You should arrive in the dark. I did the Ozamis to Dapitan part in the dark and it is easy to get into a dead ahead side street as the sneaky curve of the road is too sneaky to see! the road surface will be good here as well. Should you find that you need to take a break then an overnight stop at Initao half way between CDO and Iligan is very easy. The beach resort on the right js called Midway, white sand and accommodation units reasonably priced. From there to Dapitan is a 4/5 hour run at the most and you can arrive to take a late morning ferry arriving 5 hours later at Dumaguette. Missing the ferry turn off to Ozamis is very easy, as like all things here the sign post to turn right is immediate!!
Great info Mike, much appreciated.