Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Childcare in the philipines???

Childcare in the philipines???

Old May 31st 2008, 9:31 am
Just Joined

BrianClareAaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childcare in the philipines???

Hi,

We are potentially looking to move to the philippines and are curious to know what child care is like over there? ie Are there nurseries/creches and when he gets to school age, what are the primary schools like? He's currently 14 months and is in childcare here in Doha!......Also what is there to do with him at the weekends, because frankly, with the heat over here there's nothing much to do, because you can't go outdoors for four months of the year!!!

Appreciate any help!!
B, C & A
Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childcare in the philipines???

No problem what you would do is hire a yaya, and have the child looked after in your own home. If you are earning £'s or whatever and spending pesos it's cheap. Usualy the yaya is live in.

Now my five year old daughter is in school Kinder 1 this year, and Preparatory next. The year after she will become a Grader or Elementary as it is known here. Four years of that, and it is High School time.

The school year runs June to end March, between is the "Summer Holiday," the year consists of two semesters.

The lessons are given in English. Most of the private schools are good, if they aren't parents don't send them back.

Most schools Nursery 1 is for age 3½ to 4½, generally the small ones do two hours a day, and it increases as they get older.
I live in Cebu and for the pre-schoolers at an "expensive" school it costs
P15000 a year with books costing P1650, the school fees if paid in advance and not monthly will be discounted. Additional costs uniform will cost about P750 at four uniforms tailor made and one sports kit. Then school shoes P400-700, and trainers for sports P300-800.
Classes at school are ten pupils for the little ones, and twenty for the Graders. There are one or two teachers, depending on the lesson, and sometimes three. The third is a teaching assistant.

Now weekends there's basketball of course, in SM shopping malls they are play areas and "creches," Storytime etc. There are swimming pools at resorts, lots of things, if he has friends there is much they can do.

Broadband and telephone connection cost usually P995 - P1995, with other options available.

Cable TV costs around P600 a month, obviously you buy your own TV, SKY operates here on cable, but it is a limited package.

Any further questions please put them here, and I'll do my best to answer.
I hope that gives you some idea of costs, Manila of course might be a little more expensive, but not that much.

I am English retired early, with a Filipina wife, five-year old daughter, and lots of nieces and nephews. So I do know something about the schools. You can only start in June, but enrol in April - May, you and your child can look the school over of course.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:06 am
Just Joined

BrianClareAaron is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply. At the moment we are in Information gathering mode, as we currently live in Qatar (only been here 5 months) and most likely won't move until early next year. Obviously a move will be dependent upon making sure that the baby will be okay, and that we can find work that will provide for a reasonable lifestyle!

Really appreciate the help, and no doubt we'll be in touch!
B,C & A
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Southseastrader is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tropicofcancer
No problem what you would do is hire a yaya, and have the child looked after in your own home. If you are earning £'s or whatever and spending pesos it's cheap. Usualy the yaya is live in.

Now my five year old daughter is in school Kinder 1 this year, and Preparatory next. The year after she will become a Grader or Elementary as it is known here. Four years of that, and it is High School time.

The school year runs June to end March, between is the "Summer Holiday," the year consists of two semesters.

The lessons are given in English. Most of the private schools are good, if they aren't parents don't send them back.

Most schools Nursery 1 is for age 3½ to 4½, generally the small ones do two hours a day, and it increases as they get older.
I live in Cebu and for the pre-schoolers at an "expensive" school it costs
P15000 a year with books costing P1650, the school fees if paid in advance and not monthly will be discounted. Additional costs uniform will cost about P750 at four uniforms tailor made and one sports kit. Then school shoes P400-700, and trainers for sports P300-800.
Classes at school are ten pupils for the little ones, and twenty for the Graders. There are one or two teachers, depending on the lesson, and sometimes three. The third is a teaching assistant.

Now weekends there's basketball of course, in SM shopping malls they are play areas and "creches," Storytime etc. There are swimming pools at resorts, lots of things, if he has friends there is much they can do.

Broadband and telephone connection cost usually P995 - P1995, with other options available.

Cable TV costs around P600 a month, obviously you buy your own TV, SKY operates here on cable, but it is a limited package.

Any further questions please put them here, and I'll do my best to answer.
I hope that gives you some idea of costs, Manila of course might be a little more expensive, but not that much.

I am English retired early, with a Filipina wife, five-year old daughter, and lots of nieces and nephews. So I do know something about the schools. You can only start in June, but enrol in April - May, you and your child can look the school over of course.
And whats more your child will grow up in the old fashioned way respecting his elders and being cherished by all around him .Kids in Philippines are really blessed with their huge extended family , all the neighbours.

You wont have to worry about perverts or aggressive other kids,he/she willl learn to live as we all did back in 50's when tiimes were more gentle.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:13 am
Just Joined

southcraven is an unknown quantity at this point

As previously posted a yaya (nurse) is very common in the PI. If they live in expect to pay £40 a month.

Schooling varies and depends on price my daughter's school OB Montessori charges 55K peso/year. They are found on the net.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:28 am
Just Joined

pearldiver is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also consider Toddlers Unlimited Learning Center. They are the best around for expat kids You could check out their site at www.toddlersunlimited.com They have branches in Alabang and Makati area
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

simplyjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Though in your country babysitting is very expensive. Here in the Philippines, it is one of the affordable and best services you can get. I am a mother too, and I have two kids. There is a lot of choices for good schools here in the Philippines, I guess choosing would depend on the method of learning (traditional, progressive or mix), no. of students in a class (the fewer it is, the more expensive it would cost you) location, it has to be accessible from your residence considering the traffic condition in Manila. I guess it would be wise if you live and send your children to the same vicinity/area. I guess what's important is to send your child to a school (multiculture) where he learns a lot about the place he is residing, would be expose to arts and music, and maybe add-on language training for Mandarin. At the end of the day, the child will be the one to tell you if it's the right choice...
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Penny Cogle is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Childcare in the philipines???

Originally Posted by BrianClareAaron
Hi,

We are potentially looking to move to the philippines and are curious to know what child care is like over there? ie Are there nurseries/creches and when he gets to school age, what are the primary schools like? He's currently 14 months and is in childcare here in Doha!......Also what is there to do with him at the weekends, because frankly, with the heat over here there's nothing much to do, because you can't go outdoors for four months of the year!!!

Appreciate any help!!
B, C & A
Hi B, C & A,

in answer to your questions, we haved lived in the Philippines for a year and moved here when our son was just 7 weeks old. Childcare is usually done using a yaya ( a local lady who lives with you and is generally very dedicated to the task of looking after your offspring). They are inexpensive, however some of the other respondents forgot to mention that finding a good one can take several attempts and a bad one can take a while to find out by which time you realise your child has had a few bad experiences to say the least - I can put you in touch with several people who have unfortuantely had this experience. In addition Philippine locals do not discipline their children (I am talking verbally of course) and will not discipline yours - therefore be prepared to always be the bad guy! They also never leave your child at peace to play and use their own imagination - and they carry them everywhere!! They can also get very attached to your child and vice versa. Be prepared for this if you come and choose the option of a full time yaya! If you do find a good yaya you will have peace of mind that your child is in good hands however over-enthusuatic the care, and a night out on your own or with just other adults becomes a real possibility. Nurseries generally doesn''t start here till children are two years old but Toddlers Unlimited as mentioned by another respondent is great and will take them from 6 months old - but they prefer parents/yayas to stay for the first few sessions. Finally there is not a lot to do here with any free time you have. Our son only knows the shopping malls unfortunately - of which there are many! - and a kids obstacle course type play area called the Fun Ranch - which is always overcrowded with undisciplined local children if you get my drift - so not a pleasurable experience for parents or children alike. There are however nice child friendly hotels on nearby islands - but it's not every weekend you can afford the time or money to go island hopping. Personally had I known what the Philippines was really like for children growing up I would not have come here. It is too hot and mosquito infested to play outside - even if you have your own pool - and so the only time our son gets to play on grass and 'run' around free is when we are in the UK (we are just back from a month there which he loved), otherwise it's a life of indoor confinement, and extremely crowded noisy shopping malls. If you plan to stay here in Manila it will be a few hours drive before your son will be able to access and play in the sea and there are no forest walks for him to enjoy here. There are parks but again it is too hot to use them most of the time and if they are any good they are overcrowded. We have been to a zoo (very depressing) and a small petting farm - even more depressing from point of view of the animal welfare. Apart from that for adults and children alike there is nothing except eating out, very little exercise options unless you join a gym and the expat social scene which although enjoyable usually revolves around food and drink and so also contributes to our ever expanding waistlines! I have tried to be fair in my appraisal of the Philippines but would genuinely not recommend it for raising children - but would recommend Malyasia or Brunei having seen the set up there from friends who live there and although there is less shopping opportunities there is a lot more outdoor activities for children and adults alike. Hope I've been of some help and feel free to ask more questions. All the best in your decision making, Penny.