Car maitenance

Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:57 am
Banned

JasmineCruz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Car maitenance

Hi all, I have used my 2016 Toyota Avanza for one year and found that my car has some problems of Tire, Brake, Engine. How can i prolong the life expectancy of transmission?, Pls share some car maintenance tips. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car maitenance

Being one year old, I would expect there to be a 3 year warranty period with the dealer ship. This would cover free annual service for 3 years as part of the purchase price?

IF not then;

You need to change engine oil every 6 months or 5000k which ever is sooner

Weekly check of;

Water levels(should have coolant reservoir with clear markings for max and min)

Same checks for brake, clutch and power steering fluids.

3 monthly tyre pressure check including the spare. Also check tyres of wear.

Test all lights once a month

Keep your receipts and there should be a service log book to prove that your car is tested. Should you wish to sell at a later date the log book plus receipts will be helpful.

So, suggest first step is, back to the dealer to see what they agreed to at point of sale.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings,

Not wishing to be pedantic, but tyres are a safety issue and should be subject to at least to a cursory check once per week. Warning lights on the instrument panel should be investigated immediately. I agree with all the other points made.

May I ask what problems you are experiencing?

Regards

Pete
Old Oct 10th 2017, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

kompani101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't expect any problems with a modern car only 1 year old so a return trip to the dealership is needed to check warranties.
Your Toyota handbook should give a very good list of basic checks to be undertaken and at what intervals, mine does. Make a note of what they are including things like tyre pressure, from your handbook, and write them on a piece of paper and keep in your glove box for future reference, saves rummaging through the huge handbook again.
Your cars service book should say what service intervals are recommended, usually in kilometres or time intervals, whichever is soonest.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
Greetings,

Not wishing to be pedantic, but tyres are a safety issue and should be subject to at least to a cursory check once per week.

Regards

Pete
Yes, and it's so easy to get a concrete nail in your tire here, so recommend you buy and use regularly a handheld pressure guage to check pressures.You can't always tell just by looking at individual tyres, although hearing a scrape when you go over those speed humps is an indication of a need for more air all round. And a good quality foot pump. Better than relying on the gas station service, even though someone will do it for you there. I've found electric pumps to be too easy to bust.The guages on pumps aren't very good, so much better to use a hand held one.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings,

The correct engine oil is vital on todays modern cars. Do not get it wrong. My best advice is to consult the handbook or if that is not available then contact a Toyota dealer. Don't listen to well intentioned advice without checking. However, a tip for you and others. Once you know the grade of oil required, you don't have to buy the most expensive. High branded oil is the most expensive because of the costs of marketing etc but look on the can and you will see an API Spec. That started many years ago as SA, then it went to SB etc as quality improved. The top spec when I left the UK 2 yrs ago was SL but I believe there is now an SM. That spec will be the same quality as top branded oils....but cheaper. But the right grade is vital. Grades can be different in countries where the climate is hotter or colder also. As I said, check your handbook or dealer.

HTH

Pete
Old Oct 11th 2017, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Further Greetings...

I neglected to mention, although it should go without saying that the correct type of oil should be used. I.e synthetic, semi synthetic or rarely nowadays on the modern engine...mineral oil. Also of course there is diesel and petrol oil. Use the wrong oil at your peril. My personal recommendation on oil changes is if the book says change at 20,000 or 10,000 miles or whatever.....then half it. All my works vehicles covered at least 250,000 miles without engine problems. And best of all, the oil I took out of a petrol engine looked just as clean as the new oil I was about to put in. Except diesel engines of course. Finally, steer clear of oil additives. I will expand on that if needed.

Have fun!

Pete
Old Oct 26th 2017, 8:13 am
Banned

Irene Rivera is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JasmineCruz

Many thanks for your tips, i am still studying how to well maintain my car and I found that it's necessary to pick the right engine oil for my car when reading an online news of choosing the right engine oil. But I can not find the good brand for the 2016 Toyota Avanza. Can you give me some suggestion?
Thanks for your reference, i found a lot of useful tips for my lovely car from Philkotse now. Do you have any other interesting references like this based on your study, po?
Old Oct 26th 2017, 10:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thread closed, the spammer and her sock puppet have both been banned.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 26th 2017 at 10:59 am.