British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Philippines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/)
-   -   Biccies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/philippines-155/biccies-903116/)

Raffin Sep 9th 2017 3:22 am

Biccies

I don't know if you're like me, but I really struggle to find any nice local biscuits here. Either they're too sweet, too many are chocolaty or if they try to copy ours they can't get the "English Quality". Yes, you can pay more for UK imports, but I don't like to do that.

The result for me is there's just one local biscuit I really like and then just 3 or 4 more brands I find acceptable.

But today I bought a pack of "Rich-Tea Oat" biscuits (Julie's brand) at SM. They're not strictly local, made in Malaysia...but only P86 for 10 packs, 3 in each. The biscuits are thinner than the English Rich Teas but they do have a nice oat addition. The point is the taste is close to the English Rich Tea biscuit, at a reasonable price.

How do you get on with the biscuits here?

mikemike Sep 9th 2017 6:30 am

Re: Biccies

hate to say it but i still insist on mc vities

plus custard creams and bourbons

some of the cookie style ones are ok

When tescos started to bring in their biscuit range it was ok, trouble is they do not know how to market their products here. So they are real slow at repleneshing stocks..
A sort of biscuit i do miss the tesco wettabix:)

uk_grenada Sep 9th 2017 10:42 am

I do love an english biccie, BUT i have discovered wibisco!

Here in the moist tropics anything open goes limp. The clever trini's and bajans where the west indian biscuit co lives have sorted out packaging and actually make british type biscuits that are crunchier and generally lovelier than the macvities made near my home in the uk... NB theres a documentary called the biscuit factory on iplayer about mcvities, the stats are a bit boggling, a lorry load of flour an hour, 20 tons of chocolate for coating every 4 hours... They make billions of biccies a week in NW london.

Some of the local goodies - a jam ring with guava jam, coconut creams, plain coconut flavoured rich teas, arrowroot plain ones for cheese, a proper digestive, but with brown sugar, subtle.

Raffin Sep 11th 2017 5:04 am

Seems that the 200 plus years of being a British Colony have done you well for biscuits. Good they do some plain ones, as it's not good to consume too many of the chocolate, jammy and creamy varieties with your tea or coffee.

The great majority of the local biscuits on sale here are chocolaty...no wonder kid's waistlines are expanding! Though to be fair they are big on crackers. Both seem to be mostly consumed on their own, as snacks, by the locals.

Of course baking here in the Philippines is mainly in the Spanish tradition, but with some Filipino touches. Everything far too sweet for me. Good that Malaysia, where they also seem to know about English Quality is not too far away. And a member of ASEAN, to keep the price down.