Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Hong kong duty free or Purefoods duty free Clar

Hong kong duty free or Purefoods duty free Clar

Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hong kong duty free or Purefoods duty free Clar

Going to Hong kong to renew balikbayan visa.From our previous flights out of
Clark airport we have noted there is very little to buy duty free. Googling we saw that a supermarket Pure-gold has a duty free supermarket nearby to the airport.
The thread did not indicate whether the general public were allowed to shop there or if boarding passes were needed. I have a haunch that if the general public are allowed to shop without boarding passes then the prices will be similar to non duty free shops in which case should we buy all our duty free at Hong Kong international?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

ChrisKVie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hong kong duty free or Purefoods duty free Clar

The 'Duty Free' shops in Clark are not 'profit free'. There is a good choice in the shops there but i wouldn't set any expectations on getting a good discount on regular prices. Having said that the same applies for HKG unless buying smokes/booze. I think the good old days when duty free shopping was essentially a good buy are over now.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

The off airport duty frees in the Philippines tend to be for arriving passengers rather than departing.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Simon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

I visited some duty frees in Clark recently. The booze is cheap but apart from that most of the stuff sold there is pretty old/crap & not any cheaper than you would find in SM or the market.

Anyone can buy from there, you don't need a boarding pass/passport.

If you're passing it may be worth popping in if you want cheap(ish) spirits/wine but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon1983
I visited some duty frees in Clark recently. The booze is cheap but apart from that most of the stuff sold there is pretty old/crap & not any cheaper than you would find in SM or the market.

Anyone can buy from there, you don't need a boarding pass/passport.

If you're passing it may be worth popping in if you want cheap(ish) spirits/wine but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit.
It has gone downhill a lot over the years. I think it was duty free in as much as you could buy imported goods that were not available outside that may have been free of duty, but of course you pay western prices for western goods. If you want to buy local produce don't go to the duty free.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Simon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
It has gone downhill a lot over the years. I think it was duty free in as much as you could buy imported goods that were not available outside that may have been free of duty, but of course you pay western prices for western goods. If you want to buy local produce don't go to the duty free.
Yes it's definitely passed its prime.
My friend bought a bottle of gordons gin that have looked like it had been sitting on the shelf for about 30 years.
The bottle itself was good value but they wouldn't do any discount for a case. I guess they're happy to wait another 30 years to sell the rest of the case.

I actually went there thinking I could get a cheap Xmas tree/decorations, but it wasn't any cheaper than I could find outside and really outdated.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Pakwaan is an unknown quantity at this point

From my experience, the duty free at Clark is a rip off. The best place I have found for cheap booze in Angeles is S&R (there is a new one on the Dau link to NLEX).

Don’t forget that in Hong Kong there is no tax on beer and wine, so the supermarket prices are very reasonable. The spirit selection In and out of HK at the airport is quite good, but you are only allowed to take in one packet of cigarettes (no limit going out).