Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Adopting My Partners Child

Adopting My Partners Child

Old Nov 23rd 2017, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Jamson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adopting My Partners Child

Hello there, I am in a long term relationship with a married lady, we have lived together in the Philippines for 2 years and have a child together. My partner has a child from her husband. She has just passed her nursing course and is doing her 1 year experience before hopefully being able to score a job as a nurse in the UK via an agency. Obviously we wont be able to move to the UK without her child, so first question is, will her child be eligible to travel with her to the UK should she be offered employment? If not, would me adopting him be a solution? If no is the answer to both, would anyone have any ideas how to proceed?

Many thanks.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adopting My Partners Child

So your wife is in the Philippines and may then be liable under law for adultery. So the last thing you may want is her husbands involvement. The law here is loaded against the lady.

For the child to depart the Philippines written permission from the parents or legal guardians will be needed.

As your Girlfriend is married I am not sure you will be able to adopt and become a legal guardian without the husband's involvement.

Even if the husband is agreeable it is best to get it in writing.

I think you need to discuss with a family lawyer.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's 18 month old son was just attached to her UK visa. Adoption is hard work, just change the childs name by deed pole once you arrive in the UK if you are realy worried.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 9:54 am
Just Joined

WE are aware of the knife hanging above our heads regarding adultery, and it is one of the big factors regarding our desire to relocate to the UK. As it happens we are on good terms with her husband, he has agreed to go alone with the annulment, and even to allow me to adopt his youngest.. SHe has 4 kids by my partner and the fact that I look after them all very well and can provide them with a good lifestyle and a decent future may be a factor for him in his cooperation. But it only takes one drunken moodswing and my wife and me may be heading to jail... SO not the best situation to be in.

Obviously, her being married makes it doubly hard to get her a UK visa. WHich is why she did her nursing study, as an easy way in.. So you think as long as I have both parents written permission, getting her son into the UK is not going to be a big thing to achieve?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

We went down the route that the father was places unknown since before the birth. Not too sure how much success you are going to have with a visa unless the NHS are having a recruitment drive. Obviously you need to keep well out of it.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamson
WE are aware of the knife hanging above our heads regarding adultery, and it is one of the big factors regarding our desire to relocate to the UK. As it happens we are on good terms with her husband, he has agreed to go alone with the annulment, and even to allow me to adopt his youngest.. SHe has 4 kids by my partner and the fact that I look after them all very well and can provide them with a good lifestyle and a decent future may be a factor for him in his cooperation. But it only takes one drunken moodswing and my wife and me may be heading to jail... SO not the best situation to be in.

Obviously, her being married makes it doubly hard to get her a UK visa. WHich is why she did her nursing study, as an easy way in.. So you think as long as I have both parents written permission, getting her son into the UK is not going to be a big thing to achieve?
first can you clear up a confusion? In your first post you say you have a child with your partner and she has another child by her husband, however above you say she has 4 kids??
as to suggestions for future ways to go, Mikemike is correct - you would need to talk to a family lawyer due to all the complications that are just waiting to strike! Because of the adultery she is in a vulnerable position under local law and will have to be very careful - even a disgruntled neighbour could start enquiries...............
Re her nursing. Even if she gets all the qualifications there are currently problems with the NHS recruiting Filipino nurses due to the requirement for an IELTS language test. Google "Filipino nurses fail UK language test" to read all about it.
Assuming she got a job offer and passed the IELTS the work visa ONLY applies to her. Having children is immaterial as it is assumed her Filipino family would look after them.
The potential good news is that if you are named on the childs birth certificate then it's likely your child is a British Citizen by descent and would qualify for a UK passport. I know quite a few expats here who have kids with their Filipina partners and have obtained UK passports for them - a DNA test may be requested. If you DO obtain a UK passport for the child then they can go to the UK anytime and cannot be refused entry as a citizen so long as she has written permission from the parents/legal guardians or a court order.
I'd forget the idea of adoption until such time as she gets an annulment (takes a couple of years and costs thousands of pesos) but be aware that under Filipino law she can apply to the courts here for child support for your illegitimate child , not that she is likely to from what you say of your relationship.https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...orn-outside-uk gives you the info you need to apply for a UK passport for your child.
good luck and hopefully it all works out in the end!
Old Nov 24th 2017, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Hi Quiltman, thanks for your reply. I shall clarify. My partner has 5 children, 4 by her husband, and one by me. We all live together and her youngest (who has never known his real dad) calls me daddy! The elder 3 call me uncle...

Regarding adultery, I have done a lot of research into this and all sources claim that the husband is the only one who can initiate any action. Is my information wrong?

Regarding her children (which is the main point I am here to gather info on) I assumed that her visa would only cover her, which is why I am considering adopting my youngest stepson, so that he can come with us if we have the opportunity to move..

I hope this is a bit clearer now.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 12:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Regarding her children (which is the main point I am here to gather info on) I assumed that her visa would only cover her, which is why I am considering adopting my youngest stepson, so that he can come with us if we have the opportunity to move. ....
A visa to work in the UK automatically includes (an option) to include any minor children.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Pulaski, this is the news I was praying to hear. Thank you,

Regarding nursing, could my lady maybe have more success applying for a caregiver position? All jobs shall be applied for via an agency in the Philippines, so presumably they will take into consideration things such as language etc before offering her a job..
Old Nov 24th 2017, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pulaski, this is the news I was praying to hear. Thank you,

Regarding nursing, could my lady maybe have more success applying for a caregiver position? All jobs shall be applied for via an agency in the Philippines, so presumably they will take into consideration things such as language etc before offering her a job..
I would be very very very wary about agencies in the Philippines. The NHS usually direct recruit.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Gazza would you care to elaborate? What is dodgy about the agencies?

Thanks
Old Nov 24th 2017, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

They make dick turpin look like a saint. Many many filipinos have been duped out of their money applying for jobs that don't exist. They will get you to go on courses that are not necessary and generally string you along just to get your money. If you do go to an agency ask for the registration number which can be checked on a gov website. If no number forthcoming they will be dodgy.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

The course that have have to attend will be live in courses where the cost of a bed space per night will be more than an expensive hotel. Should they not live in they will not get a job.

Remember agencies by law cannot charge the applicant. So the agent dreams up all sorts of additional costs to get their cash. Getting a job direct is best, yet not sure how immigration will deal with this at departure as they will also expect to see a clearance provided by the OFW people who are held responsible for ensuring that the person is not being trafficked.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
They make dick turpin look like a saint. Many many filipinos have been duped out of their money applying for jobs that don't exist. They will get you to go on courses that are not necessary and generally string you along just to get your money. If you do go to an agency ask for the registration number which can be checked on a gov website. If no number forthcoming they will be dodgy.
You have painted a fairly nice picture of them, they will happily con employees out of more than half their wages by holding it as a bond to make sure you finish your contract, which of course has no actual completion date. I have never yet found an honest one.

I worked for a Subsea company that employed over 4,000 seamen, not one through an agency here. We set up our own agency ( in JV with other subsea companies ) in Singapore. All contracts were signed there and all were paid directly by the company who used them.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
The course that have have to attend will be live in courses where the cost of a bed space per night will be more than an expensive hotel. Should they not live in they will not get a job.

Remember agencies by law cannot charge the applicant. So the agent dreams up all sorts of additional costs to get their cash. Getting a job direct is best, yet not sure how immigration will deal with this at departure as they will also expect to see a clearance provided by the OFW people who are held responsible for ensuring that the person is not being trafficked.
We used to give our seamen return tickets to/from Singapore, so they were just going on holiday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.