Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Affordable Laser Eye Surgery.

Affordable Laser Eye Surgery.

Old Feb 25th 2006, 6:20 am
Just Joined

David_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant future
Smile Affordable Laser Eye Surgery.

My son Paul (24) came to visit us here in Cebu from the UK on November 26th 2005, and left last Friday February 17th.

The first thing he noticed has the difference in temperature - having left UK with 2 Deg C in LHR, and 32 Deg C when he landed at Matan International Airport, CEB.

3 hours after landing he took part in his very first Hash House Harriers event with Cebu Hash. He obviously enjoyed it as he went on to join in another 6 events and got his Hash Name (Pubic Plucker), in the process. You can see some photos of my son Paul taking part in these Hash Run events on our website www.cebuhash.com (I am webmaster for Cebu HHH).

Apart from 'Hashing' , Paul enjoyed his 12 weeks stay in the Philippines and got to see 'Boracay' via 'Negros' and 'Panay', 'Cebu', 'Mactan', and 'Bantayan' Islands, so only 6,994 other Islands he did not get to visit.

One of the attractions he visited in Cebu was 'Kawasan Falls'. We made the trek up to the 3rd level - the 'Source' of the Kawasan Falls. This is where the natural spring water bubbles up out of the ground like a natural jaccuzi pool. They have created a dam nearby for a small Hydro Electric Power station down below, with some of this natural water power being diverted down pipes to power the turbines.

Anyway whilst Paul made his way over the lake to this 'juccuzi' pool to take a photo (with my digital camera), he lost his footing on the wet slippery rocks (having taken his shoes off), and fell in the pool.

Amazingly he managed to keep my digital camera out of the water, but lost his spectacles in the process. Being short sigted meant the Philippines was just a 'blur' from that point on!

Being clear, frameless, glass, it was impossible to find just by spotting slim silver side frame and centre nose connection. Some locals started looking when we offered a reward, but none managed to find Pauls lost spectacles in the 'source of the Kawasan Falls'.

Now Paul could have had his eyes tested and bought some new glasses as they are cheaper here in the Philippines than the UK, by a significant factor.

However, Paul, having chatted to some of my friends who had Lasik laser eye surgery, here at Cebu doctors hospital in Cebu, decided he would go for consultation check up.

Having done this (Php1000), he was apparently a good candidate for such operation, having thick cornea's. He also had astigmatism in his right eye, which could also be corrected at the same time with the laser surgery. If i recall the computerised high tech system -

<<others can do a web search about the procedure if they're interested>>

Cheers

David & Paul Whittall

Last edited by NC Penguin; Feb 27th 2006 at 3:29 am. Reason: Advertising part removed.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 2:55 am
Just Joined

David_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant futureDavid_LivingInCebu has a brilliant future
Default Re: Affordable Laser Eye Surgery.

It's a pity they decided this posting was an 'advert', when in reality, I was passing on a story about my son having Laser eye surgery done here in Cebu, Philippines. My son knew it was a lot cheaper, compared to say UK and Europe, and took advantage of it.

If you want to keep the technical information about just what sort of treatment he had off this Forum, that is up to you. Sure you can find details on the web - if you know what you are looking for?

But I think your members, might have been interested to learn it can be done for a cost of Php450,000 (under £50 for both eyes!).

A lot of Austalians, in particular, have realised they can fly to Cebu, and get Dental treatment, laser eye surgery etc. This is so much cheeper than back in OZ, it pays for the flights, the hotels, the food the drink and more. They have a free holiday, the treatment they were after and still have spare change!

Cheers

David Whittall

Originally Posted by David_LivingInCebu
<<others can do a web search about the procedure if they're interested>>
Last edited by NC Penguin : Feb 27th 2006 at 12:29 pm. Reason: Advertising part removed.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

dkskeng is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a pity they decided this posting was an 'advert', when in reality, I was passing on a story about my son having Laser eye surgery done here in Cebu, Philippines. My son knew it was a lot cheaper, compared to say UK and Europe, and took advantage of it.

If you want to keep the technical information about just what sort of treatment he had off this Forum, that is up to you. Sure you can find details on the web - if you know what you are looking for?

But I think your members, might have been interested to learn it can be done for a cost of Php450,000 (under £50 for both eyes!).

A lot of Austalians, in particular, have realised they can fly to Cebu, and get Dental treatment, laser eye surgery etc. This is so much cheeper than back in OZ, it pays for the flights, the hotels, the food the drink and more. They have a free holiday, the treatment they were after and still have spare change!

Cheers

David Whittall

Php450,000 is equal to 5000GBP?or you meant Php4500
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dkskeng
Php450,000 is equal to 5000GBP?or you meant Php4500
Sorry, meant Php45,000! Normal price is Php65,000, my son got it for Php50,000. Now all Cebu_BritClub members can get additional 10% making it just Php45,000 (or just under £500 at current low Exchange Rate of just Php91 to £1).

I understand from a friend who had the lasik eye surgery done last year, at that time in the UK they were advertising the surgery on TV starting at GBP595 per eye.

Prices may well be higher in UK now?

Doing a 'Google' pulled up the following:-

Laser Eye Surgery
"Wavefront Optimised Lasik from £699 per eye. Our unique Accuwave Customised Technology Platform has been specifically integrated to deliver one of safest possible visual outcomes".

This is the same sort of 'technology' they used for my son Paul's treatment here in Cebu, so should be good price comparison.

On this basis 'Wavefront Optimised Lasik' treatment, is at least 2.8" times cheaper here in Cebu, than UK in comparison?

(And even better if the Exchange Rate gets back to circa Php100 to £1 again!).

Hope this helps?

David

Last edited by David_LivingInCebu; Mar 2nd 2006 at 8:16 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 1:47 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

David Whittall
Your posts about the laser eye surgery sound more like an advert because you even go to the trouble of naming the price and it looks like you cut and pasted technical info.

Therefore, I removed some of the post as per Rule 8 in the Forum Rules.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Sorry about that, as I had not read 'Rule 8'!

I did do a cut and paste on just what sort of treatment my son received - there are many types of laser eye surgery!
Sorry you found this 'Technical stuff' boring.

The whole point of mentioning the price was to show how much cheaper it is here in the Philippines than say in the UK.

I also wanted to let this Forums Members know an aditional Php5,000 discount was now available to Brits <<info removed. Contact poster for details>>.

I am really wondering what is the purpose of this Forum - just as a 'chat' group, rather than offering useful informative information that might actually be welcomed by list members in that area of interest on the Forum?

David - Ling in Cebu, Philippines

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Your posts about the laser eye surgery sound more like an advert because you even go to the trouble of naming the price and it looks like you cut and pasted technical info.

Therefore, I removed some of the post as per Rule 8 in the Forum Rules.

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Mar 4th 2006 at 7:42 pm.