Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

advice for single older women in Manila????

advice for single older women in Manila????

Old Jan 28th 2007, 5:13 pm
Angelina219

Angelina219 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question advice for single older women in Manila????

Help........... i am thinking of moving to Manila ( have applied for job) am divorced and GULP 50!!!!!!!!!! but dont look it or act it........... anyone else out there or is the world full of couples??
Just wondered if it would be possible to have a social life
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: advice for single older women in Manila????

Sorry, am in Uk.

But just browsing and wanted to say good on you and go for it! Very brave!

Act your shoe size.............x
Old Feb 5th 2007, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I used to live in Manila (actually Makati) . Just be aware that there is no divorce in the Philippines (separations do happen though) so you will be quite a novelty for them, though it might go down better if you say you are widowed.... If you are divorced they will naturally (and quite innocently) assume there is something wrong with you!

People are God-fearing there and divorce is a sin....

Don't be put off by that though, people are very nice (though quite shy) there, and I am sure people will 'take you under their wing' and introduce you to other people. It isn't all 'couples' there - its more about extended family. There aren't many brits, and a lot of them are really stuck up expats living it up and are so condescending to local people! I avoided british people as much as possible!! Although, funnily enough the British ambassador and his wife are as nice as pie and are not stuck up... :-)

Just some tips...
I would make sure you have your own driver, and not go around on your own in taxis or public transport. Makati is generally safe, but manila itself is not.

Try and americanise your accent, otherwise people will nod their heads, but only understand half of what you say.. (it happened to me so much, I talked 'american' in the end).

Staff are generally too embarassed to say they don't understand, so try and confirm their understanding.

Be willing to pray in all occasions -such as staff meetings, team sessions etc.. You will gain the respect of people showing yourself to be God-fearing...

Well I hope you enjoy your time in Manila. Its a great experience. The best thing was having a driver and servants and money to do whatever I wanted. I didn't so much as lift a finger here. I only lasted two years before I could not stand the heat anymore. Having said that, I always enjoy going back for holidays and to see friends.

Take care
Alex
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:40 am
Just Joined

geenasmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alexleeson
Hi

If you are divorced they will naturally (and quite innocently) assume there is something wrong with you!

People are God-fearing there and divorce is a sin....

I would make sure you have your own driver, and not go around on your own in taxis or public transport. Makati is generally safe, but manila itself is not.

Try and americanise your accent, otherwise people will nod their heads, but only understand half of what you say.. (it happened to me so much, I talked 'american' in the end).

Staff are generally too embarassed to say they don't understand, so try and confirm their understanding.

The best thing was having a driver and servants and money to do whatever I wanted.

Great tip, Alex, especially coming from someone who has been there. I would like to clear out a few things though. Divorce/separation is a universal thing, and the filipinos there won't think of you as sinful for undergoing through that - many of them are quite liberal about it. And you don't have to go to the church to be respected - I think it's just going down on the human level and not being stuck up, true.

The folks there are a shy lot, but foreigners should act as if they belong there, so they don't avoid you. it's a good thing that most of them understand english, but the British accent can really amuse them.

And as for money, rest assured you won't run out of it, because Manila is thought to be the cheapest-livable place to live in Asia.