Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

27 wanting to live in the Philippines!

27 wanting to live in the Philippines!

Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

daz5000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 27 wanting to live in the Philippines!

I am 27 years old, I am married to a Filipina and living in Greater Manchester but life here is not to our taste. We would love to live in the Philippines, ideally in the Cagayan De Oro area as this is where my wife is from.

I spent 6 months in the Philippines some time ago but on holiday, since coming back I now work as finance assistant for my local council and this is how I paid for my wife to come over here. I rent property and cannot save much to set up any business; I would just like to know if anyone could suggest how we could move out there.

I read on a forum you can get jobs as English speaking coach for call centres serving the UK but have yet to find any online.

I know this is a long shot but you don’t know if you don’t ask!

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

rcrynes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 27 wanting to live in the Philippines!

Hi. There's a forum I frequent about retiring in the Philippines. They have an article on foreigners interested to work in the country. I hope you find it helpful: http://www.myphilippineretirement.co...e-philippines-

Most call centers cater to American companies although it wouldn't hurt if you try applying to different call centers just in case they do handle (or have plans of handling) British accounts. 24/7 Customer Philippines (a call center in Quezon City) does have a UK office so I guess they do have English accounts.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:26 am
Just Joined

David Mayes is an unknown quantity at this point

You could work as an international financial advisor. It is commission based and you would need to close a deal before any of the firms would most likely help you out with a work permit, but you could end up living a dream life if you work really hard for the first few years to get the ball rolling.

You are a little on the young side but if you are determined that won't be a problem. You would only be dealing with expats, and I think there is very little competition in the Philippines. You could spend one week in your wife's home town setting up a full week of appointments, then travel to the city every other week and see people. You would need to be able to budget 6 months to a year of expenses to get things going at first.

Feel free to pm me if you would like more info, I could help you get et up with our company if you are interested. It is pretty much like running your own business, but we offer lots of support to help people get started in the industry.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

amanda1101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daz5000
I am 27 years old, I am married to a Filipina and living in Greater Manchester but life here is not to our taste. We would love to live in the Philippines, ideally in the Cagayan De Oro area as this is where my wife is from.

I spent 6 months in the Philippines some time ago but on holiday, since coming back I now work as finance assistant for my local council and this is how I paid for my wife to come over here. I rent property and cannot save much to set up any business; I would just like to know if anyone could suggest how we could move out there.

I read on a forum you can get jobs as English speaking coach for call centres serving the UK but have yet to find any online.

I know this is a long shot but you don’t know if you don’t ask!

Thanks in advance!
Jobs in the Philippines for native English speakers are numerous. You could probably teach in a university or as you say become an English language trainer. There are also a lot of ESL students in the Philippines.

Cagayan de Oro might be too provincial for these jobs though. Try Cebu or Manila.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:35 am
Just Joined

turko-steve will become famous soon enough

Daz 5000.
My advice to you is to stay put in Manchester. The Philippines is a backward impoverished corruption ravaged banana republic. Three quarters of the population live below the poverty line. You would not get out of bed for the salaries paid out to professional people. I had a friend who was employed in banking working in SE Asia. He could not find a job in the Philippines. He is back home now in the UK. Its a place for retired people with regular pensions.Not young people like yourself. And remember that there is no NHS here its all got to be paid for. Which could wipe you out at a stroke.

I wish you all the best.
Steve.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:07 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Stay in Manchester?

THAT IS THE SINGLE WORST ADVICE I HAVE EVER READ ON THIS FORUM!
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:38 am
Just Joined

danjohns1.
You may not like the advice that I gave. But it is the hard truth. I live in the Philippines and have seen expats come and go. Many return poorer but wiser men. Why pack a safe job with a good pension up for a life that to say the least is uncertain. Look at the facts. If the Philippines was such a fine place to live and work. Why is it that over ten million pinoys OFWs are working overseas. I can get a tradesman to work on my House for less than 3 GBP. per day. You are welcome to come over and stay with me for a few days and I can introduce you to some expats who would give you some friendly advice.
PS Manchester would seem like paradise to most pinoys Theirs is a life of grinding poverty. Just look at the long queues of people outside any embassy of the developed world. They are all wanting to get out.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:50 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

turko steve, u dont know what your talking about, you really dont
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:14 am
Just Joined

danjones1
OK thats your opinion let the poor man throw his job up and come to the phils. Plenty of good paying jobs here. What I see about me is just a dream right. Where do you live Forbes Park?.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:54 am
Just Joined

belle4484 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there! Kindly read the thread here- Retiring to the Philippines. you might find it interesting.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:07 am
Just Joined

belle448
I am not talking about someone retiring to the Phils with some capital or a regular income coming in. I am talking about a young man giving up a good safe job
in the public sector living in Manchester. Which I agree is not the most salubrious of cities in which to live. Where is he going to find a job paying a living wage. I have friends some have lived in the phils for over 20 years and all share my opinion. Personally I like it here its cheap and the people are friendly. But I am retired and can live without work. I would not want him on my conscience to give the wrong advice.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:35 am
Banned

Phillipines is about as safe as Hume.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

From memory, Dan Jones was previously heard of wanting to find a nice cheap Asian paradise, where women, so desperate to satisfy a white man would fall at his feet. So we know what kind of life he wants. Check out his thread ! http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635810

He took flack for that, but then contradicts himself in another thread where someone else asked a similar question.

Surely, the events of last week must give everyone an idea of what the country is like. It is the most corrupt and unsafe for foreigners country in Asia. Yeah, why else would thousands of locals flood out to neighbouring countries, to work the bars ?

Last edited by andrewrh; Sep 1st 2010 at 11:38 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:29 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: 27 wanting to live in the Philippines!

Originally Posted by danjones1
Phillipines is about as safe as Hume.
Do they have security with big machine guns outside McDonalds in Hume? Do they have security with machine guns outside the shopping centre in Hume? No they don't.There is a reason why they are there. I'm sure you can tell people how much of a dump Manchester is with drugs and guns but it's not really on the same scale as anything you will find in the Philippines where life is very cheap and the people are VERY POOR !
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Johnny T is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Daz.

My name is John 35 years old, originally from the midlands, i now live in Phils, been here for 3 years, i own 3 medical clinics inside some of the biggest SM Malls and Robinsons here.

Here is my 2 pence worth..

If you were a single man coming to Phils, i would say yeah go for it! Who cares if your money runs out, or can't find a job?? Just get on back to Blighty.

But, You are not on your own, you have a wife to support, her whole family to support and maybe even a child or two in the future.

You will throw money away hand over fist here, it's not as cheap as you may think, Filipinos have a way of getting it from you (bless em), weather it be immigration, any government office, your wifes family will expect you to look after them (unless they are already financially OK).

You will not find a good paying job here, especially in CDO! No one is interested in speaking with an english accent, it's all yankee doodle dandy & besides, it's illegal for a foreigner to work here, only minor exceptions will Labour department grant you an alien work permit & immigration award you a nice 9G work visa!

Here is my advice:
Firstly you have chosen probably one of the nicest places in Phils to live, i don't know i have never been, but i have met many that have visited.
So, good start. If i were you i would save some money first before coming here, is it possible to come with £20k plus? If so great.
Forget finding work (not gonna happen) But instead start a business, identify a need and fill it. Maybe a little english style cafe serving good grub for foreigners, or a small shop selling imported goods that fellow foreigners would frequent, i don't know i'm just throwing some ideas around.

Second bit of advice.
Keep your money in your own pocket! I know it sounds obvious but; The only way people can take it from you, is if you give it to them!

Good luck, and all the best!

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.