Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2years 0months 6days ON

2years 0months 6days ON

Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:55 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default 2years 0months 6days ON

When we arrives in NZ at 2345hrs on New Years Day 2008, I had no idea we would be doing what we are.

David - Eldest has a lovely partner, is buying his own home and has been in continued employment from 3 weeks after arriving - makes a fantastic change from constant redundancy.

Sorry made an error Tony (OH) is the eldest child. Well what can I say about him, HATES his job. Loves his golf and deep sea fishing, golf he got at home, but the fishing not so easily obtainable living where we did.

James - loves life, has no friends just loads of aquantances - friends will come later he's too busy. He has his own pub which he runs 7 days a week with help from his olds (me) oh and a bit of help with 'stock control' from dad (makes an effective empter of kegs). Starts level 3 in professional Cookery in Feb, plans on doing level 4 next year. Again non of this would have been acheivable at home. Partly because it's something he wouldn't have thought of.

But NZ is not for everyone - it has it's good and bad points as does home it just depends on the individual.

Oh forgot about me - well what can I say,
Not enough hours in my day or days in my week. I made new friends by working in a charity shop which I now manage, help out at the local community centre (organised my 1st ever fashion show to raise awareness of the charity shop I manage and the local community centres - must say it went well). run a cub scout group one evening a week and my free time is spent helping James in the pub. Live in spitting distance (figuratively) of the beach but have not been to the beach since Christmas day 2008. but I will be going on Monday's after I finish at the charity shop with a wonderful friend of mine called Belinda who lives very succesfully with Down's Syndrome.

These are things I never would have done in the UK - yeh I had always done voluntary work, but not to the extent and involvement that I do now.

Oh I still manage to down a few rums - usually around midnight.

Life is good to us here - but I think this is mainly due to the fact that we had done all the hard work at home - raising our family, me working nights, Tony on days. Struggling at times to meet bills etc, no holidays as bills came first. If we moved to NZ when the boys were little and had to struggle like we did maybe i wouldn't think NZ so great.

With a young family life is a struggle no matter what country you are in.

Pauline
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:08 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2years 0months 6days ON

thanks for that update Pauline always good to get an insight as to how people have settled in.

DEwb
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:24 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Great to read your update Pauline....I agree life with little ones can be tough where ever you are.
Good luck & I'm sure with your outlook on life NZ will continue to be a successful move for you.
B x
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Pauline
Thanks for the update .. I agree we have also been here doing things we wouldn't even have thought of in UK .... I hope we continue to be as settled as we are & that you are after a few years. Your confusion with the children's ages made me smile & think of my mum , she still gets us mixed up .