Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

An Update From Me - NZ/UK/CoL

An Update From Me - NZ/UK/CoL

Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Update From Me - NZ/UK/CoL

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
So sorry to hear of your dad's loss. What a shock for you all.
Ultimitely you should go wherever you are happy. It sounds like you had a wonderful time back in the UK. Your pictures are stunning
I like the balance in your update, which I think is important when making decisions. So July 2014 ay? Time for a new chapter for you and your lady, exciting stuff!
Hi Pom, thanks for the reply. Yes, it was very shocking - she was only 51 as well, my poor Dad. I did my best, tried to persuade him to come out here, but he needed time on his own to grieve and adjust as such. Yes, July 2014 is the date at the moment, although I had a good day at work today and its warm, so it always makes me think again!
Glad you like the pics, FYI.. the first picture is near to my Dad's house and I took that myself with my phone
Originally Posted by Stormer999
Davros lovely pics of Scotland beautiful country and luckily a long way from London and too far for the masses to travel to.
Scotland was the only one that really impressed us both. Change the weather and I don't think we would be here now.
Good luck on your future plans......
Thanks Stormer. Too far away from the masses? - A bit like NZ!
Despite it being a very hard time, I did enjoy being back. There is no way I could ever live in a busy busy place again, Auckland is big enough for me now. I am glad to be back in NZ and back in my routine as such.
Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
brilliant post. Seeing those pictures has brought back my climbing memories. Many weekends spent in Scotland.
Such an honest and well balanced post. The UK isn't perfect (where is), but it's the little things that make you want to go back.
I try my best to be balanced Pip, only occasionally do I let slip! Glad you enjoyed the post.
Originally Posted by dannigirl
Great update Davros.
I agree with everything you say in your post. There are so many great things about the UK, I found your post pretty balanced.
I get so confused and frustrated trying to work out what the answer is for NZ. We are not long back in the UK. It is so great to be back in lots of ways but as a kiwi I think I'll always hunger for my "old kiwi life".
Keep us updated, your story is so interesting!
Its not often I get so many positive comments on here and often people disagree with me! Thanks Dannigirl. Best of luck to you in your new adventure back in the UK. Hope its going OK? I guess there are always certain things you will miss or want, even if your new life is good. Glad you find it interesting - plenty more to come along with some difficult threads and posts I'm sure.
Originally Posted by BEVS
It is. It is like following a journey.
Really? Bevs I'm touched
Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Davros I am sorry to hear of the loss in your family. However, if I me so bold as to say your very balanced update post has reminded me how the things that make us sad often have silver linings. Your post suggests that you are feeling far more positive about where and what your future may hold.
I just love Scotland and could easily live in Edinburgh. Both Scotland and Ireland stir a good bit of heritage in me. I do hope your Dad's new journey is as gentle as possible. Grief can be tough but necessary. I have found it to be "our heart accepting what it is our head knows".
Be kind to yourself and yours Davros xx
Thank you Bellasmum. your description of grief is so true, I may have to poach that off you for future use I'd say yes, I am far more positive about the future, but even with a number of things, its still not easy to leave here, I have become very fond of NZ and I can see us coming back to live here again in a few years.
Originally Posted by Tom1983
Read your post Davros whilst listening to the bag-pipes playing The Flower of Scotland, it has lead to a huge amount of home sickness
Glad you enjoyed the place. Try the east coast when you return, especially St Andrews. Probably my favourite place in Scotland - only just ahead of Edinburgh and Fort William.
Will check that out - thanks. The home sickness will definitely get you playing that! I think the combination of the beautiful scenery along with the human history and architecture makes it a very special place.
To wrap up (for now), the current plan is to move back somewhere between Derby and Ripon, in truth it will more likely be Yorkshire. It will be nice to have the lake and peak districts as well as the Yorkshire dales within reach. The challenge (if we really do go home in 2014!) is to find somewhere pretty and not too busy with an easy-ish commute (ideally train or bus) into a city or town where I can get IT work (until I find something else to do). So its more likely to be North Yorkshire.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Hi Pom, thanks for the reply. Yes, it was very shocking - she was only 51 as well, my poor Dad. I did my best, tried to persuade him to come out here, but he needed time on his own to grieve and adjust as such. Yes, July 2014 is the date at the moment, although I had a good day at work today and its warm, so it always makes me think again!
Glad you like the pics, FYI.. the first picture is near to my Dad's house and I took that myself with my phone

Thanks Stormer. Too far away from the masses? - A bit like NZ!
Despite it being a very hard time, I did enjoy being back. There is no way I could ever live in a busy busy place again, Auckland is big enough for me now. I am glad to be back in NZ and back in my routine as such.

I try my best to be balanced Pip, only occasionally do I let slip! Glad you enjoyed the post.

Its not often I get so many positive comments on here and often people disagree with me! Thanks Dannigirl. Best of luck to you in your new adventure back in the UK. Hope its going OK? I guess there are always certain things you will miss or want, even if your new life is good. Glad you find it interesting - plenty more to come along with some difficult threads and posts I'm sure.

Really? Bevs I'm touched

Thank you Bellasmum. your description of grief is so true, I may have to poach that off you for future use I'd say yes, I am far more positive about the future, but even with a number of things, its still not easy to leave here, I have become very fond of NZ and I can see us coming back to live here again in a few years.

Will check that out - thanks. The home sickness will definitely get you playing that! I think the combination of the beautiful scenery along with the human history and architecture makes it a very special place.
To wrap up (for now), the current plan is to move back somewhere between Derby and Ripon, in truth it will more likely be Yorkshire. It will be nice to have the lake and peak districts as well as the Yorkshire dales within reach. The challenge (if we really do go home in 2014!) is to find somewhere pretty and not too busy with an easy-ish commute (ideally train or bus) into a city or town where I can get IT work (until I find something else to do). So its more likely to be North Yorkshire.
Hi davros,
We moved to North Yorkshire last year. We had never been here before but picked it off a map. Oh is also in IT. A couple of places to look at, Knaresborough which has a lovely market town, a regular bus service and a train station. Harrogate also is lovely. Easy commute to Leeds for either place.
We live in Boroughbridge another easy commute by car, but no train station I'm afraid.
Let me know if I can help at all.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I presume you'll be targetting Leeds?

I know someone who works for HSBC in Sheffield if that city would interest you. They're line of work is SQL Database Administration

If you do decide Sheffield, DO NOT MOVE TO PAGE HALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know if I can help
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:47 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Davros, I'm sorry for your loss and how quickly you had to travel to Britain and back to NZ.

The photos of Scotland look stunning. My husband was born in Scotland to Scottish parents.

He wouldn't live there now, he says it's to cold !

Although there was a job on the Isle of Skye that sparked his interest ! Oh ok, for about five minutes ! It might just put Scotland generally, on the, 'maybe' list regarding possible places to live in Britain should we ever return to Britain.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:54 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
We moved to North Yorkshire last year. We had never been here before but picked it off a map. Oh is also in IT. A couple of places to look at, Knaresborough which has a lovely market town, a regular bus service and a train station. Harrogate also is lovely. Easy commute to Leeds for either place.
We live in Boroughbridge another easy commute by car, but no train station I'm afraid.
Let me know if I can help at all.
I'm inspired by your story of returning to Britain. I'd like one day, my story to be similar to yours.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 10th 2013 at 9:54 pm. Reason: All the best for 2014
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I'm inspired by your story of returning to Britain. I'd like one day, my story to be similar to yours.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Thanks snap shot that's very kind. Hopefully you will make it back one day and we can meet for a coffee.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Thanks snap shot that's very kind. Hopefully you will make it back one day and we can meet for a coffee.
Thanks, I'd like that
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Jess3699 is an unknown quantity at this point

Really interesting post, I think Scotland is very beautiful, my brother got married in Scotland, Dumfries and Galloway to be specific- a little market town(s) on the sea, extremely cold, but extremely beautiful.

Just in case you are thinking of moving there, I don't know if you've heard on the news, but Scottish Independence is being pushed for, which if materializes, could mean major reforms in Scotland.

Hoping the weather is nice at the minute in NZ!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:21 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jess3699
Really interesting post, I think Scotland is very beautiful, my brother got married in Scotland, Dumfries and Galloway to be specific- a little market town(s) on the sea, extremely cold, but extremely beautiful.

Just in case you are thinking of moving there, I don't know if you've heard on the news, but Scottish Independence is being pushed for, which if materializes, could mean major reforms in Scotland.

Er...not sure about little market town...its a County!! They will hang you as soon as you set foot in it for suggesting such a thing!
As for major reforms, no chance. Simply a political and fiscal stuff up which will cause more hassle with administration than any benefit it might incur.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Scottish Independence is being pushed for, which if materializes, could mean major reforms in Scotland.
Thank goodness it's looking less likely that independence will be voted for but, if it is NZ may well experience a flurry of applications from non-Scots born people who now need to move out.

What I'd say about Scotland is that most of the grumps made about NZ could be applied there as well.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paddyo
Er...not sure about little market town...its a County!! They will hang you as soon as you set foot in it for suggesting such a thing!
As for major reforms, no chance. Simply a political and fiscal stuff up which will cause more hassle with administration than any benefit it might incur.
Ow dear- my geography is truly shocking! Funny thing is my brother got married in Gretna Green ( which is what i think I was thinking of by mistake as I'm sure that is a small little town?) and I've heard thats where alot of people run off together to get married! Not my brother, but I always rib him about this of course!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by paddyo
Er...not sure about little market town...its a County!! They will hang you as soon as you set foot in it for suggesting such a thing!As for major reforms, no chance. Simply a political and fiscal stuff up which will cause more hassle with administration than any benefit it might incur.
If she shouts out loud FREEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!! She may get away with it
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tom1983
If she shouts out loud FREEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!! She may get away with it
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
What I'd say about Scotland is that most of the grumps made about NZ could be applied there as well.
I wish more people realised this. However, those same problems seem more acceptable in your destination country. Go figure.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

The weather in NZ at the moment has generally been great! We had an amazing Christmas and New Year. Did 8 nights of tenting (9 days).

Firstly we stayed here for 3 nights: http://www.mountainvalley.co.nz/ and had an awesome site. Its a great campsite in the mountains, and the owners (Doug and Julie) really made it a great stay. I did some clay bird shooting whilst there and really enjoyed it, but they have all sorts of activities. Its such a beautiful site in the mountains with a river and an incredible sky at night.

After that we spent 3 nights in Napier city at Kennedy Park campsite. A much busier campsite, but a great location - I love Napier and Hawkes Bay. We had a day in Napier exploring and chilling, the second day down at Ocean Beach, went to a winery and visited Hastings and Havelock North. The 3rd day we did a 40km bike cycle around some of the simply amazing cycle paths/tails that the council have put in over the past 10 years. Auckland could learn a LOT from Napier!.

Finally, we then went and did the East Cape - which was so empty, off the beaten track and interesting. We drove to Gisborne, then after lunch went around the cape, we camped at a rustic old campsite in Te Aroaroa where water came from a creek - so you had to boil it, but it was so rustic and chilled. Also visited the east cape lighthouse, most easterly point in NZ - so pretty much the first place in the world where you'd see the sun rise on the first day.

Yes - I read the UK Tele(Tory)graph on my Kindle everyday, so very aware of whats going on in the UK/Scotland. Highly unlikely the Scots will vote for it, but you never know! Not overly worried, especially as the old man lives up there.

Glad you enjoyed my post. I feel so good about NZ, but I know the time is coming to go back to "reality", have some direction in my life again, put some roots down and at least settle for a few years. I am really sad about leaving here, its really like living in paradise or a bubble where you have very little worries. Equally though we are both excited about our future. NZ will always feel like a home to me, even if I can't ever buy a
house in Auckland.
Happy 2014 to all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.