Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

An Update From Me - NZ/UK/CoL

An Update From Me - NZ/UK/CoL

Old Dec 9th 2013, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default An Update From Me - NZ/UK/CoL

I've received a few PM's asking why I've been so quiet, so I thought I'd post a new thread giving an update as well as some very recent experiences I've had. (Switch off now if you're not wanting to hear about positives of the UK). It may seem quite biased below, but I do want to make it clear that I could happily spend the rest of my life in New Zealand (given sufficient funds).

I have spent the past 18 days back in the UK, I landed back in NZ yesterday (Sunday). Completely unplanned, unfortunately my Dad lost his wife and as I am sure you can all imagine, he was (and still is) in quite a state. They were closer than close and now he has to try and figure out what the future may hold for him.

Anyhow, enough on the above.... I wanted to give an update on my feelings of NZ vs UK and general observations I had.

1) It wasn't as cold as I thought it would be, bare in mind I was going back to the middle of Scotland and actually it was relatively mild. I am certain however than it can be freezing there (and it has been from memory). My warm jumpers and hat helped too.

2) I couldn't believe how beautiful the UK seemed. A combination of natural landscape and some of the incredible architecture built by previous generations. It made me feel that NZ visually isn't as unique as many make out (even though it is an incredibly beautiful country), I guess what I'm saying here is that you don't need to go to the other side of the world to live somewhere beautiful. I also feel there is a big hole here in terms of buildings, the solidity of houses and the solid stone-built houses I saw in Scotland (for such little money) were staggering.

I travelled the west coast of Scotland and went to Inveraray and around some of the smaller coastal towns and villages - staggering. Also, I was really impressed with Perth in Scotland, incredible buildings and surrounded by some stunning landscape.

3) The sheer amount of choice and variety. My Dad lives in the middle of nowhere, a place of 6 people. There isn't a shop, bus or phone signal for 11 miles. To some that is hell, to some that is paradise. However, within an hour's drive you can be in the beautiful town of Stirling. I was staggered by the vast majority of shops, how cheap things seemed and how "quiet" it seemed. Also, the amount of events, shows, festivals etc going on - quite incredible.

I have to say though, I spent a bit of time in and around London Heathrow and I hated it. Too much traffic, too many people and stress. It made me instantly want to come back to NZ. To counter that, going elsewhere in the UK made me realise how incredibly busy and stressful Auckland is.

Going into Morrisons in Stirling was like entering a palace. The sheer choice of quality foods at low prices was quite staggering. I bought some amazing Gammon Steaks at 2 quid for 2. Lunch box and sandwich type food was a lot cheaper and again the sheer range of choice I couldn't believe. I would argue though that NZ definitely has better quality "fresh food" at better prices than the UK.

4) Quality of Life
After going back and talking with people as well as meeting up with 1 or 2 friends, I realised how less stressed they seemed, how much additional time off they get over me and in a way how "easy" everything is - so long as you're prepared to pay to park! Have to admit, that really was a tad annoying, having to pay to park anywhere and everywhere. They were taking different types of holidays, taking up all sorts of activities and in general work seemed to give them a reasonable social life when they wanted it.

I love NZ and I like the freedoms I have here. But coming back, I do feel that I work a lot more and that I am very cut off from the world. I guess this was probably what I wanted a few years ago, but now and with everything that has happened, its made me realise that I want to be somewhere rural, friendly and pretty, but not be 30 hours away on a plane.

5) I really missed the rugby channel. Yes - really.

6) The Driving and Roads
Drivers were incredibly patient, always obeyed the 2 or 4 second rule (keeping distance), people generally always gave way and apart from in supermarket car parks, didn't on the whole drive like maniacs.

Roads were great, generally very empty, hardly any potholes and it wasn't stressful in the slightest - as opposed to driving in Auckland or Christchurch.

7) Price of Cars
I had to help my Dad get a new car, as sadly his 4x4 got written off a few weeks before his wife passed away (double whammy). We ended up getting a 2008 (58 plate) Suzuki Grand Vitara Diesel with low mileage in excellent condition for 6,500 GBP. Couldn't believe it. I also looked at 2009 model Astra's and I could get a beauty for around 3,500K. GBP. Thats the current value of our 2004 Holden Barina 1.4.

8) Mortgages, House Prices and Eligibility
I went into Santander, told them my current savings with my partner, as well as what we would be entitled to if she had got a nursing job at home and I a job in the UK with approximate salaries. With a joint income of around 55-60K GBP, they would have little (if any) trouble in lending us 200-250K to buy a house with. The complete opposite to here in NZ.

I went and looked at a few estate agent windows, I loved the simplicity of talking to them and how very little (if any) properties are done at auctions.

I saw some amazing 3-bed houses in the region of 140-160K GBP. In addition, they had built some new 2-bed stone based properties in and around Stirling starting at 85-90K GBP. Wake up John Key!

9) Glad to be back to Summer in NZ - weather's great, back with the Mrs, hopefully a fantastic summer ahead with a likely change ahead next year.

10) Price of Flights
I booked a 1-way ticket back to the UK and then went and got a return ticket whilst in the UK. For 900 quid, I've got a flight with Emirates that includes the option to change my return flight upto 3 times (that option cost an additional 69 quid). So for around $1650 dollars, I got a return flight!

My flight is currently booked for July 8th 2014.

Finally... here are some pictures of where I spent time in Scotland.

Some of you might think some of them are NZ right?

Last edited by davros1984; Dec 9th 2013 at 4:55 am. Reason: Amended date.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 4:44 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Update From Me - NZ/UK/CoL

What a great and balanced post - thank you!

I love the pictures of Scotland It's so lovely to see home
Old Dec 9th 2013, 4:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Now, how did you know I was wondering where you were.

I have a couple of des res for you to view and as the festive season is approaching , maybe time for some lighthearted fun.

Thank you for the update. It is important to know how those that have moved here are doing , regardless of whether or not they remain, move on, return. My parent's (RIP) bestest ever friends live in Doune , nr Stirling. Came out of the Gorbals of Glasgow originally . Scotland is every bit a treasure visually that SI NZ is. If not more so really ,as the place has history and an ever changing mood about it. I am talking visually of course. I feel this way about the Jurassic coastline. Sometimes you need the weather to make a place alive.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 9th 2013 at 4:58 am. Reason: bluddy laptop windows 8 thing. argh
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:00 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Scotland during the heatwave in July - the locals couldn't cope with the searing 23 deg C heat. Very nice locations and friendly people.

I've said quite a few times here that people should consider moving to some of the lovely parts of the UK before going to the stress and expense of leaving the country. How can you convince people who want to 'live the dream'. I suppose it's not up to us to convince anyone - we all chose our path and learn our lessons.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:24 am
`

Originally Posted by jmh
We were in Scotland during the heatwave in July - the locals couldn't cope with the searing 23 deg C heat.
and

The people I know in Scotland were fine. They are both close family and friends.

I have to ask & as another poster only, what was the need for this comment.
What is it's relevance to the update. A pop at the people living in Scotland or the perceived Scottish weather? I just don't know.

I realise you lived in the UK for quite a while but are a dye in the wool Kiwi but , you know, some of us come on here to be free of the constant pops about the UK from Kiwis. It is wearying.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:39 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
and

The people I know in Scotland were fine. They are both close family and friends.

I have to ask & as another poster only, what was the need for this comment.
What is it's relevance to the update. A pop at the people living in Scotland or the perceived Scottish weather? I just don't know.

I realise you lived in the UK for quite a while but are a dye in the wool Kiwi but , you know, some of us come on here to be free of the constant pops about the UK from Kiwis. It is wearying.

Cheers.

Actually it wasn't a pop, it was true. I remember a shop keeper in Perth complaining about how hot it was but it was 23 degrees. I'm not aware that I was making constant pops about the UK. What I will do though is when people give a one eyed view of NZ I feel a need to remind them that many of the problems they are experience are not confined to NZ. Did you read the rest of my post by the way?

I apologise to Davros if he was offended and will try not to say anything negative about the UK. I personally think he will be happier there than here, so I have no interest in convincing him otherwise.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:24 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Davros

Thanks for the update (and ta for the PM!)

So sorry to hear of your dad's loss. What a shock for you all.

Ultimitely you should go wherever you are happy. It sounds like you had a wonderful time back in the UK. Your pictures are stunning

I like the balance in your update, which I think is important when making decisions. So July 2014 ay? Time for a new chapter for you and your lady, exciting stuff!
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
What I will do though is when people give a one eyed view of NZ I feel a need to remind them that many of the problems they are experience are not confined to NZ. Did you read the rest of my post by the way?

I apologise to Davros if he was offended and will try not to say anything negative about the UK. I personally think he will be happier there than here, so I have no interest in convincing him otherwise.
jmh - none taken.In fact, I take the opposite view to bevs in this instance. i didnt read your post and take it in the sense that you were having a pop, in fact i found it quite a positive post. bevs, dont worry i dont disagree with you often!

you can say negative things about the uk if you want,although my original post was more about my experiences of the past few weeks and some surprises as opposed to a slagging match. in fact i stated some negative things about the uk, especially london.

its ok, im pretty sure you didnt take my post as a rant, hopefully it was an interesting read.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:06 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bevs was having one of her off days when she read jmh's post
Davros lovely pics of Scotland beautiful country and luckily a long way from London and too far for the
masses to travel to.
Before making our big move to Chch we spent two years travelling all over England, Wales, Scotland all of Europe by train France, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Austria etc to see if there was another box ticker amongst them. Scotland was the only one that really impressed us both, Edinburgh easily the most vibrant and elegant city in the whole of Europe and a well balanced mix of people.
Change the weather and I don't think we would be here now.
Good luck on your future plans......
p.s I refer to Scotland, unfortunately not England or my country of birth...

Last edited by Stormer999; Dec 9th 2013 at 5:09 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:50 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

brilliant post. Seeing those pictures has brought back my climbing memories. Many weekends spent in Scotland.

Such an honest and well balanced post. The UK isn't perfect (where is), but it's the little things that make you want to go back.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Great update Davros. I was wondering where you had got to. Sorry for the loss in your family, hard times to have to travel for a bereavement.

I agree with everything you say in your post. There are so many great things about the UK, I found your post pretty balanced.

I get so confused and frustrated trying to work out what the answer is for NZ. We are not long back in the UK. It is so great to be back in lots of ways but as a kiwi I think I'll always hunger for my "old kiwi life". This expat lark is blimmin' hard all round.

Keep us updated, your story is so interesting!
Old Dec 9th 2013, 8:13 pm
`

Originally Posted by jmh
Actually it wasn't a pop, it was true. I remember a shop keeper in Perth complaining about how hot it was but it was 23 degrees.
Ah ! The opening line was a bit misleading for me . You stated - " the locals " - which I read to mean the good people of Scotland & Scotland's weather . In fact it was just one shop-keeper on just one day, which is a whole other kettle of fish.

As for your MO on BE , I'll leave that , as it will take this update off topic.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:08 pm
`

Originally Posted by dannigirl
I get so confused and frustrated trying to work out what the answer is for NZ.
I'd be interested in your thoughts . Not for this thread though. Perhaps another.

Keep us updated, your story is so interesting!
It is. It is like following a journey.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Davros I also had been wondering what happened to you and I am sorry to hear of the loss in your family. However, if I me so bold as to say your very balanced update post has reminded me how the things that make us sad often have silver linings. Your post suggests that you are feeling far more positive about where and what your future may hold and I am very happy for you and your partner.
I just love Scotland and could easily live in Edinburgh. Both Scotland and Ireland stir a good bit of heritage in me that I can only get when I have my feet on their soil.
I do hope your Dad's new journey is as gentle as possible. Grief can be tough but necessary. I have found it to be "our heart accepting what it is our head knows".
Be kind to yourself and yours Davros xx
Old Dec 9th 2013, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I made a stupid mistake

Read your post Davros whilst listening to the bag-pipes playing The Flower of Scotland, it has lead to a huge amount of home sickness

Scotland, what a country! I had some lovely weekends up in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness and Auchenbrawerie - wherever the place Gleneagles is. My dad and I always had a weekend of golf in Scotland and boy do I miss that. 3 rounds of golf, loads of whisky and haggis for breakfast.. A perfect hangover cure

Glad you enjoyed the place. Try the east coast when you return, especially St Andrews. Probably my favourite place in Scotland - only just ahead of Edinburgh and Fort William. Such unique places with character. I know when we return to the UK for a holiday or permanently, Scotland is on the radar. I could happily live there and was on the verge of doing so had Royal Bank of Scotland not ballsed up spectacularly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.