UPDATE: 6 weeks in

Old May 23rd 2013, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Default UPDATE: 6 weeks in

Its been a tough tough time. It was never going to be easy travelling to a whole new country but theres a stress level like no other.

Its six weeks since I arrived. I was forced to leave the UK on a temp visa in order to take up the job offer in the timeframe that they demanded. OH is still in the UK.

The house in the UK was under offer when I left. The buyers have run us around for the past 2 months, and the exchange was actually only achieved today, meaning that we STILL do not have our hands on any equity cash till end of next week. Relocation is difficult on a shoe string.

The job was as a special needs teacher - I already did that in the UK. Here though, its just not the same. Be prepared for that. I still dont have a car. thats very stressful. I don't have a husband, thats stressful too. I only managed to move into a rented house this week, prior to that I was renting a small room from a friend's mum. Never having your own space is tough too.

Then theres novopay. The teachers payroll. They still are not paying me the correct wages.

HOWEVER, the scenery is amazing, the people of Southland are utterly and truly amazing. Without them, I would be back on a plane to the UK by now. Trust me, I almost did last week.

But, things are beginning to look up. I have a house (furnished with stuff loaned to me by work colleagues) My UK house exchanged contracts today (after a 2.5 month marathon) my OH leaves the UK next week ( and so does my furniture).

Was it worth it? Jury is still out. but the way I see it is this: I wasn't exactly happy in the UK either, or I wouldn't be here, would I?
Old May 23rd 2013, 8:29 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UPDATE: 6 weeks in

trials and tribulations of any move, just add the stress of being without your loved one and in a completely strange place. Lucky you had some people to come over to to help out but I'm guessing a cuddle from the hubby will be gratefully received when he is here.
Things can only get better and when hubby is here hopefully you can start to relax and enjoy it.

From all the "experts" on moving abroad they advise a period of 2yrs to give it a good go to see if its for you. Our initial plan was always to try and stay the 5yrs to get the kids their citizenships to open up possibilities for them when they are older.

Can't say much about Novapay as it has been well documented how hit and miss it is and any teacher thinking of coming over should be fully aware of the problems. Hopefully they will sort things for you quickly.

Very early to see was it worth it, as you say you wasn't happy in the UK and you are not yet on your feet here. When everything is in place and working well for you you may just look back at these first few weeks as a matter of nuisance rather than a deal breaker.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:55 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
Its been a tough tough time. It was never going to be easy travelling to a whole new country but theres a stress level like no other.

Its six weeks since I arrived. I was forced to leave the UK on a temp visa in order to take up the job offer in the timeframe that they demanded. OH is still in the UK.

The house in the UK was under offer when I left. The buyers have run us around for the past 2 months, and the exchange was actually only achieved today, meaning that we STILL do not have our hands on any equity cash till end of next week. Relocation is difficult on a shoe string.

The job was as a special needs teacher - I already did that in the UK. Here though, its just not the same. Be prepared for that. I still dont have a car. thats very stressful. I don't have a husband, thats stressful too. I only managed to move into a rented house this week, prior to that I was renting a small room from a friend's mum. Never having your own space is tough too.

Then theres novopay. The teachers payroll. They still are not paying me the correct wages.

HOWEVER, the scenery is amazing, the people of Southland are utterly and truly amazing. Without them, I would be back on a plane to the UK by now. Trust me, I almost did last week.

But, things are beginning to look up. I have a house (furnished with stuff loaned to me by work colleagues) My UK house exchanged contracts today (after a 2.5 month marathon) my OH leaves the UK next week ( and so does my furniture).

Was it worth it? Jury is still out. but the way I see it is this: I wasn't exactly happy in the UK either, or I wouldn't be here, would I?
Blimey ! You've really gone hard core with this, and you've done it solo. (I am once again reminded that having a job to go in NZ doesn't make anything else easier.) Your husband's arrival next week must be something really good for you to look forward to and you've completed your house sale, yay ! Furniture due in a few weeks too. I feel a chorus of that pop song, 'things can only get better' coming on !

As Mrs Fychan says you might look back on this as the settling process rather than a, 'deal breaker'. Looking back on things can give one a sense of perspective that might have been lacking at the time due to stress. The newness of everything can be jarring too.

The only thing is once the settling takes time be it two years, two weeks, twenty years etc there can be a sense of, 'is that it ?' Even if one makes good on the promises one makes to ones self regarding the move, you will still be pushing your trolley around the supermarket each week. Buying petrol regularly, paying bills etc etc etc.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 23rd 2013 at 11:06 pm. Reason: felt like it
Old May 24th 2013, 1:41 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

It gets better.

It was six months before we could afford a car, when we got here. (I'm one of those weirdos who reckons that 'if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it'.) Going grocery shopping on the bus is the pits, let me tell you. But as we went on, things got better, and easier. We exchanged the sh1tty ex-public housing un-insulated crappy half-a-duplex owned by the Landlord With His Head Shoved Up His Jacksy Who Liked The View From There And Wasn't Going To Change, for the dry and warm 'House that Jack built', but with a much, much, MUCH better "old-boy" landlord, to our "designed by us, fully insulated and centrally heated dream house on the 12.5 acres". The job is 'a job' and there to provide the money to pay for the lifestyle. That's all.

Hang in there. It will be worth it.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:51 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

It's a roller coaster of a journey ay ? Yes southland and it's people are awesome ay , my brother in law and wife live in otatara , nice wild bushy area.

I remember looking at posts of people who had just started outin NZ when I first cme onto this site in 04 , and thought hell , wonder if we will make it that far , and yes 8 years later we are still in otago and loving it. The first 2 years of settling in are the hardest , make sure you keep warm as that can be what makes or breaks new arrivals.

Keep your chin up as you've done the right thing , you have Re invented yourselves and a new life and experiences await you , explore southland and it's surrounding areas , it's gorgeous down that way.

Onwards and upwards .
Old May 27th 2013, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Sorry to hear you've had a rough ride so far, I hope that those supporting you can help you to bear through and that it improves noticeably and soon. Keep going through the early days and best wishes.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

elk1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
trials and tribulations of any move, just add the stress of being without your loved one and in a completely strange place. Lucky you had some people to come over to to help out but I'm guessing a cuddle from the hubby will be gratefully received when he is here.
Things can only get better and when hubby is here hopefully you can start to relax and enjoy it.

From all the "experts" on moving abroad they advise a period of 2yrs to give it a good go to see if its for you. Our initial plan was always to try and stay the 5yrs to get the kids their citizenships to open up possibilities for them when they are older.

Can't say much about Novapay as it has been well documented how hit and miss it is and any teacher thinking of coming over should be fully aware of the problems. Hopefully they will sort things for you quickly.

Very early to see was it worth it, as you say you wasn't happy in the UK and you are not yet on your feet here. When everything is in place and working well for you you may just look back at these first few weeks as a matter of nuisance rather than a deal breaker.
will you get citizenship or just the kids? Do kids get automatic citizenship after 5 years?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:34 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elk1973
will you get citizenship or just the kids? Do kids get automatic citizenship after 5 years?
yes er plan on getting it for all of us but the advantages are mainly there for the kids. you have to apply for it after having PR for the full 5 years and met other criteria, oh yes and you have to pay
Old Jun 25th 2013, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Zuzuspetals is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your interesting post.
We've thought about one going out ahead...we're really hoping we don't have to, it'd be hard. Here's hoping work don't put pressure on my partner to start before everything is sorted for us.
Impressed you faced all that on your own.
I hope your partner has now arrived, at least then you'll be facing the other issues together.