Two years :)

Old Jul 10th 2015, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two years :)

Technically it's 2 years on the 14th but I'm working that day and today is my birthday so today will do.

Two years in and I'm starting to feel properly settled. Getting my residency was a big help this year as it's meant I can answer 'yes' rather than 'well but...' to the ever present 'are you a NZ resident or citizen'. This has given me Kiwisaver, a decent credit limit and generally led to me feeling far more at home here than just passing through.

I am still in the same flat I was in last year and still have the same job I had last year which feels so much better after the massive changes I underwent in my first year here.

I think I've finally got used to things a bit more. The streets (insofar as it's possible in Christchurch) are familiar to me and people can say to me 'oh it's near such and such' and I can place where they mean. I understand more about what is happening on the news and the 'pulse' of the country. I have friends here now.

I still have umm and ahh moments about going home for a bit, particularly as my parents get older but I am pretty set on this being 'home' for now at least. I want to get my permanent residency and ideally my citizenship though that's a fair wait off.

Work is looking up and I have the possibility of further training and study so I feel happy about that.

All in all it's been a pretty good year.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 11:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years :)

Lovely update Laura. Hope life continues in a positive manner. The ageing parents thing is hard to live with and I can't offer any solutions. I'm in the same boat and my OH has lost both his parents in the past few years. On the positive side though......

Happy Birthday!
Old Jul 11th 2015, 10:49 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Well done and happy birthday! Pleased you're feeling settled. A stable job and friends most certainly helps.

Have you got any plans to explore any more of NZ?
Old Jul 11th 2015, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Pom, I'm going to Queenstown on Monday next week for 5 nights

We have a day's skiing booked (probably another one too) and I treated myself to a flight to Milford Sound *fingers crossed it happens*
Old Jul 11th 2015, 11:04 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant, you'll have a ball! Queenstown will be stunning this time of year. I went up the gondola with a friend who came over to visit, I reckon it'll be even better this time of year what with all the snow they've had.

Ooooo a helicopter ride over Milford You must report back to this thread with photo's! I'm thinking of heading that way in October, I've got my eye on the jet boat ride...
Old Jul 11th 2015, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I hope so. Maybe the roller skating will help with the skiing (she said hopefully)

Hehe don't get techical with photos on notFacebook. I should probably add you on Facebook actually then we might be better at being expatty in the same province.

And thanks all for the Birthday wishes it was a good one.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 6:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Lovely to read it is all coming together for you LauraNotts & Many Happy Returns.
I can't remember exactly. What did make you emigrate to NZ in the first place?

Originally Posted by LauraNotts

....particularly as my parents get older
Your parents are no age at all . They still have verve yet. We're not talking mid 70's to late 80's here. Heavens , they are my age group and I only emigrated 11 years ago .

And Top Tip.

Say off Flopbook. It is a bit the pits , full of pit type stuff .

Ok. I read 'We'. Spill
Old Jul 12th 2015, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

We? As in Pom and I both live in Christchurch? I didn't think you were local to Canterbury but if you are feel absolutely free to come to have coffee some time
Old Jul 14th 2015, 5:00 am
`

We?
as in

We have a day's skiing booked
Romance?

MrBEVS and I are not unlocal to Xch. Folks up this way tend to see Xch and Canterbury as reasonably local.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 14th 2015 at 5:04 am.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
as in

Romance?

MrBEVS and I are not unlocal to Xch. Folks up this way tend to see Xch and Canterbury as reasonably local.
The plural pronoun does not predicate procreative plans

No with a very good friend.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:16 am
`

Ooo. Very Leonard Sachs

Oh well. No romance then.

BTW. I don't drink coffee. Period.
If we do have a spare couple of hours one time when we are down that way ,

Spoiler:
we'll stand you pancakes at the Boatsheds

instead. Much more Mr BEVS style.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh my gosh I LOVE THOSE they were my Birthday meal
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff Laura

I've been here 2 years and 2 weeks now and a lot of what you say resonates with me.

I'm just too lazy to write my own 2 year update just now