Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Update: One year anniversary .

Update: One year anniversary .

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

gandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant future
Default Update: One year anniversary .

Hi All, Yesterday was the anniversary of our first year living in New Zealand. When we were looking at moving here we had read on this forum mixed feelings about the move had gone for others. For us it has been amazing and really glad we moved. here are a few thoughts i have from my first year in NZ.

1- If you expect to move to NZ from the UK and bring your current lifestyle with you, you will probably be disappointed. You need to adapt to the way of living here. Simple example is the food here. It is seasonal and prices vary greatly. So you just need to buy the fresh food that is in season. People are surprised by the cost of food here, but our food bill is actually less then in the UK, you just need to adapt. Plus most people here have Veg gardens. (i live in Christchurch, but understand this may be different in the other cities)

2- People here are way/way happier than in the UK. This is the biggest win for me. I wake up in the morning and walk to work and people are smiling and even say good morning as the pass by. i have never experienced this in other cities. People here dont wake upin the morning expecting that something bad will happen. I found in the end that everyone in the UK was always on guard and ready to fight. here people are just freindly and really really helpful.

3- People are way more chilled and even a bit childish (in a good way)here. I work in a professional environment but people in my office are constantly pratting about. there is also quite allot of swearing. It seem here that as people get older they dont loose ther sense of homour and still have fun like a teenager.

4- The countryside is soooooo beautiful. pretty much where ever you are in New Zealand you are no more then an hour away from something amazing. There is loads of skiing, biking, kayaking and other outdoor activites that are easily accessible.

5- i would say the only challenge we have had is finding work. we decided that we loved Christchurch so much that we were going to stick it out and do whatever we needed to do to be here. it took me 3 months to find work, but now i am working with a great company. My wife still has not found work here in 6 months. But if you want to make it work you neeed to try hard sometimes, so we are actually looking at buying a shop here to create work for my wife.

In summary, NZ is amazing place to live, but if you want it to work, dont expect everything to be given to you on a silver platter you have to work for it, but you will be greatly rewarded.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets?

Originally Posted by gandeandboys
Hi All, Yesterday was the anniversary of our first year living in New Zealand. When we were looking at moving here we had read on this forum mixed feelings about the move had gone for others. For us it has been amazing and really glad we moved. here are a few thoughts i have from my first year in NZ.

1- If you expect to move to NZ from the UK and bring your current lifestyle with you, you will probably be disappointed. You need to adapt to the way of living here. Simple example is the food here. It is seasonal and prices vary greatly. So you just need to buy the fresh food that is in season. People are surprised by the cost of food here, but our food bill is actually less then in the UK, you just need to adapt. Plus most people here have Veg gardens. (i live in Christchurch, but understand this may be different in the other cities)

2- People here are way/way happier than in the UK. This is the biggest win for me. I wake up in the morning and walk to work and people are smiling and even say good morning as the pass by. i have never experienced this in other cities. People here dont wake upin the morning expecting that something bad will happen. I found in the end that everyone in the UK was always on guard and ready to fight. here people are just freindly and really really helpful.

3- People are way more chilled and even a bit childish (in a good way)here. I work in a professional environment but people in my office are constantly pratting about. there is also quite allot of swearing. It seem here that as people get older they dont loose ther sense of homour and still have fun like a teenager.

4- The countryside is soooooo beautiful. pretty much where ever you are in New Zealand you are no more then an hour away from something amazing. There is loads of skiing, biking, kayaking and other outdoor activites that are easily accessible.

5- i would say the only challenge we have had is finding work. we decided that we loved Christchurch so much that we were going to stick it out and do whatever we needed to do to be here. it took me 3 months to find work, but now i am working with a great company. My wife still has not found work here in 6 months. But if you want to make it work you neeed to try hard sometimes, so we are actually looking at buying a shop here to create work for my wife.

In summary, NZ is amazing place to live, but if you want it to work, dont expect everything to be given to you on a silver platter you have to work for it, but you will be greatly rewarded.
It is a great place eh? You have to roll with the changes and accept that it is a whole new life. I have been here 12 years now next month and I really do not ever want to relocate anywhere, ever again (not out of NZ anyway). NZ is about as nigh on perfect as it gets for so so so many reasons. The driving standards are shite, we all know that and its just about the only REALLY bad thing that impacts on me in a regular way. But I deal with it, don't get overly wound up and NEVER engage in 'their ways'.

I still have the urge to travel lots, but never live anywhere else.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 10:39 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

If you expect to move to NZ from the UK and bring your current lifestyle with you, you will probably be disappointed. You need to adapt to the way of living here.
The key to success is in those two sentences.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 11:43 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

If you expect to move to NZ from the UK and bring your current lifestyle with you, you will probably be disappointed.
Originally Posted by simonsi
The key to success is in those two sentences.
Not so fast. I think most people emigrate expecting to have something closer to their fantasy lifestyle, not their current one, regardless of what they claim.

Expecting to bring your current lifestyle with you might actually be a good start, given the days of swapping the 2-bed terrace in Leeds for the 4-bed, 2-bath on the north shore are only a distant fantasy-memory. Then see what NZ can really offer you on top of that.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:00 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Not so fast. I think most people emigrate expecting to have something closer to their fantasy lifestyle, not their current one, regardless of what they claim.

Expecting to bring your current lifestyle with you might actually be a good start, given the days of swapping the 2-bed terrace in Leeds for the 4-bed, 2-bath on the north shore are only a distant fantasy-memory. Then see what NZ can really offer you on top of that.
Ummm operative word was TWO sentences.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Update: One year anniversary .

Hi there.
Thanks for thinking to update us all on your NZ one year anniversary.
May you have many more happy years in NZ.

The update deserves a thread of its own , so I have moved it away from the 'regrets' as that is about 'regrets' not 'happy' updates.

As you all were

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 3rd 2017 at 1:02 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:59 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm operative word was TWO sentences.
Oh yeah, haha! Whoops!

Well, your second sentence was about having to adapt, which is a given really. It might pay to first adapt expectations before moving (which I suppose is one of the neat functions of this forum).

Now the thread has been changed: congrats on your first year, OP, and I hope your wife finds work soon
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:04 am
It is what it is Member

Oh yeah, haha! Whoops!

Well, your second sentence was about having to adapt, which is a given really.
Lol - I'm not sure its a given skillset in all migrants though, but I'm pretty sure its the main reason things don't work out, either the need to adapt isn't recognised up front or the amount of adaption becomes too great/hard for the individual migrant.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:24 am
---

Lol - I'm not sure its a given skillset in all migrants though, but I'm pretty sure its the main reason things don't work out, either the need to adapt isn't recognised up front or the amount of adaption becomes too great/hard for the individual migrant.
Now we are even as you didn't read my post properly: I said it's a given that migrants will need to adapt, not that it's a given migrants are able/willing to
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:28 am
It is what it is Member

Now we are even as you didn't read my post properly: I said it's a given that migrants will need to adapt, not that it's a given migrants are able/willing to
Ummm I know, I was progressing the conversation. No matter.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 2:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I think for me its the amount of adaptation and lowering of standards which is my bug bear on a daily basis.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 2:14 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

gandeandboys - glad you are having fun and its a shame that getting jobs for partners does take time. Really have found its the people you know and not really what you know that helps.
I found the job I am in now through a local FB page so if she hasn't already done that that could be a good starting point.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Andrew.Family is an unknown quantity at this point

gandeandboys - we have been looking at Christchurch. Are there any areas that you would suggest? I don't know why but I have always looked at Halswell. Are there any areas that are less appealing to a family?
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

gandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant futuregandeandboys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Andrew.Family
gandeandboys - we have been looking at Christchurch. Are there any areas that you would suggest? I don't know why but I have always looked at Halswell. Are there any areas that are less appealing to a family?
Hi there, compared to many places in the UK, all of christchurch is fine. However....I would avoid Bryndwr and Sout East of christchurch centre. For a family I would say better to move out and commute in. The commute will be easy and you will get to enjoy the awesome countryside here. Halswell I have heard good things about but never been there. It's at the foot of the port hills which are nice for walking area. Snad there is some nice little villages around there. We have just moved out of town into Kaiapoi. We are 20 minutes commute from work. 5 minutes to the beach and live on a lake. Salmon fishing down the road and tons of countryside around us. The town get hit pretty hard by the earthquake though and is a bit of a mess. If you have not been to christchurch before be aware that many places are still a mess from the earthquake. But in my opinion the culture here far out way any of that. Have a great one. And hope eveything goes great for you
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Andrew.Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info it is really good to get and insight. Christchurch does look affordable and a 20 minute drive compared to what I do now would be nice. We will have to go where ever I can get a job and after having a look it does look like it may be Wellington, unless something comes up in Christchurch at the point I can apply. Thanks again.