Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Six years later and we're still here, almost living the dream

Six years later and we're still here, almost living the dream

Old Jan 7th 2017, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

frog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to all
Talking Six years later and we're still here, almost living the dream

So my husband, myself and our at the time 2 year old son emigrated in 2011 to Wellington.

Wellington was never our dream but that is where my husband got a confirmed job offer for a job on the skills shortage list - we flew through our application process - 5 months from initial expression of interest to flying (we got a residents visa straight off). Wellington is nice (except for quakes) - we spent about a year living in Island Bay, then a year out in Pukerua Bay (Porirua) then a year on the Kapiti Coast before deciding that we'd had enough of commuting and busy suburb living and it was time to live the dream in rural South Island. We sold our UK home after almost 2 years of being here and upgraded to permanent residents (my daughter was born here and become a citizen straight away).

We've now done 3 years in Kakanui, 10kms south of Oamaru. Living on an acre trying to be self sufficient where possible (we have chickens, sheep, a veggie garden and my husband hunts for meat). It was great for our lifestyle but lack of jobs has put an end to it all. I spent one year working 3 part-time jobs whilst by husband worked freelance. It has been difficult financially but I love Oamaru and Kakanui ans I'm glad we tried to make it work.

We're now headed to Auckland (I know - massive contrast of lifestyles here). We're not sure if we'll love it or hate it...it will be nice to be back in civilisation for a while if only for the shops! Only time will tell but no regrets about our NZ move at all - I'm glad we did it and won't be spending future years wondering what life would have been like if only we'd been brave enough to do it.

I'm not sure if NZ is forever but it's great for now!
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

elonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond reputeelonii has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six years later and we're still here, almost living the dream

Really good update, I really like that you aren't scared to give things a try and treat it all as an experience. We are considering relocating to NZ after what's starting to look like a failed move from Australia back to the UK. Stories like this are great to hear!

Auckland is a great city, I enjoy it a lot (hubby's family live in Albany) but I really hate the traffic on that darned bridge! Good luck with it xx
Old Jan 13th 2017, 7:43 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

so frog, you must of been in Pukerua Bay when we were, there from Jan 2012 to April 2014. Now also on the Kapiti coast, Waikanae, and liking sooo much more than PKB.

anyway it is fascinating to hear that you moved to the SI and had a great life style for your family.
A move to Auckland will be such a difference, If I could live in Devonport , yeh I wished, then I might of considered Auckland but Devonport is about as near as I would want to get to it.

Have you decided where in Auckland you are going?

Please keep us updated.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 5:10 am
Just Joined

frog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to allfrog99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsFychan

Have you decided where in Auckland you are going?

Please keep us updated.
A bit undecided - I like the sound of Beachlands - community based and on the coast. We've been looking at properties in Frankton too like clevedon, hunua ranges, bombay etc as we're just to the rural lifestyle now and not sure we want to leave it but then also, hubby will be commuting to mt wellington and although he doesn't mind a commute on motorbike, we're thinking perhaps somewhere nearer city like howick, mission bay, cockle bay or even remeura....decisions, decisions. As we've just 'done' rural, perhaps city would be a contrast and if we hate it, we could go back to rural....
Old Jan 16th 2017, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Alicia19 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi..I'm excited to know what is the work that you do?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alicia19
hi..I'm excited to know what is the work that you do?
My husband is a product designer and I do online marketing.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by frog99
and I do online marketing.
wazzzat ?
Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Oamaru is a wonderful little area & I'm sorry to read that financially it hasn't been a goer . We've looked at leaving the Top of the South for the Dunedin area but concluded that whilst we would gain perhaps in access and diversity , we would lose in weather and the sheer cost of moving ourselves.

Shame you are leaving the South Island.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

bramble22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your move to Auckland

I have been in Auckland now for over 2 years and we live the Good Life on a lifestyle block (7 acres) and in my job I get to see the South Island and stay in Oamaru and Dunedin etc so know exactly what you mean but you can get that in Auckland too you just need to be prepared to travel out of the city.

Everyone told me I was mad to buy a house with a 2 hour commute from the CBD but I am still in the same house after 2 years!!! If I leave early 5:30am I miss the traffic so get to work by 7am so not quite the 2 hours but on a Friday I have to stay at work until 8pm in order to get home for 9:30pm otherwise I would sit in a 2-3 hour traffic jam.

But every weekend I get to feed my chickens and goats and see our neighbours horses and dig up potatoes for dinner and go for a walk on a deserted beach...... loving rural life in Auckland.

I hope you find your piece of paradise in Franklin Area like I have
Old Feb 4th 2017, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Ali7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frog99
A bit undecided - I like the sound of Beachlands - community based and on the coast. We've been looking at properties in Frankton too like clevedon, hunua ranges, bombay etc as we're just to the rural lifestyle now and not sure we want to leave it but then also, hubby will be commuting to mt wellington and although he doesn't mind a commute on motorbike, we're thinking perhaps somewhere nearer city like howick, mission bay, cockle bay or even remeura....decisions, decisions. As we've just 'done' rural, perhaps city would be a contrast and if we hate it, we could go back to rural....
I'm so interested to see which you end up preferring as we are in middle of huge decisions here in Wellington as my husband and I would love to live rurally but my little boy has just settled into his school so it would mean changing schools again and we have only been in the country a few months..I mostly grew up here but lived in England the last ten years and my husband and kids are English so everything is still new to them. <snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 4th 2017 at 1:31 pm. Reason: Link removed - please re-read Site rule 9, thx.