Short up-date

Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:05 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short up-date

Hope the blasted box turns up amongst the other boxes......
Sounds like a heck of a treasure hunt !
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:32 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez Toon Nut what you like do you just not like the easy life

Dewb
Old Oct 8th 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
Hope the blasted box turns up amongst the other boxes......
Sounds like a heck of a treasure hunt !

Ditto what Ray & Debbie says!!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

You better be careful 'cause if it's not on the manifest you signed it doesn't exist. If it's missing when you get to NZ you won't be able to claim for it, so you'll have to watch them like a hawk when they're unloading. Good luck!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 5:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

And City beat Newcastle 2 -1.

At least you'll get over the jet-lag quicker.

It's only money

I'll get me coat.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut
£5k in a shoe box
5K pounds or dollars?

http://http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/Arriving+in+New+Zealand/Prohibited+and+Restricted+Imports/Money.htm

I would tell all of them anyway if I were you
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Woodlea
You better be careful 'cause if it's not on the manifest you signed it doesn't exist. If it's missing when you get to NZ you won't be able to claim for it, so you'll have to watch them like a hawk when they're unloading. Good luck!

So can we be there to watch them unload our container then? Obviously it's not on the itinerary list as we didn't know it was in the container till after the event. I just assumed I wouldn't see the contents of my container again untill it hit Hamilton. I do know we have to clear the wifes scooter at customs, I'm wondering if I should mention something to them there and then or maybe even give them a call in advance?

I think it's because it's inside a big brown box marked shoes that concerns me, if it said something like pots n pans then I don't think they'll pay much attention to it.

It's NZD by the way, hence the reason I has to rush around buying it up an hour before we got to the airport.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:38 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Have you now arrived in NZ ? When we arrive we will rent a furnished place until our furniture turns up. Then we might rent an unfurnished place so we can take possession of all our stuff. I don't want to feel pressured to buy a house in the time it takes for our cargo to arrive.

Would you mention to NZ customs what happened with your money ? If they find it prior to your explanation it might come over as a good story. (Sorry don't mean to sound sceptical.) There might be a fine to pay for undeclared cash. Customs might want to look in the shoe box to inspect any leather goods and any possible disease risk (no offence to your wife). Can you remember where and how you purchased the dollars ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 9th 2010 at 7:41 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly wouldnt worry about it eddie, when our boxes arrived they didnt open any.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut
Hello again, sorry for the late replies but I've bought a Vodaphone sim card and I get no coverage what so ever at the rental we are stopping in.

Ok, you'll have to excuse any typos as I'm using my phone and my big fart fungers don't quit hit the cirrect bittons!! Lol

I'll do a proper update in the correct section once we get sorted, but for the time being this thread will do for my brief "container" episode.

Packers came on the Wednesday and wrapped my whole house in shiney brown paper, next day they returned along with the container on the back of a waggon and loaded the lot in around 4hrs.

We were left with nothing - just the clothes on our backs and five suitcases, that's it to our name for the next 3 months or so.

Anyway, we decided to call up my parents, borrow their Hoover and give the old place one final going over. We got all done by around 3:30 and headed back to my parents to get cleaned up etc, it was at this point the wife dropped the bombshell - "Do you have the kiwi $$$$'s?"

"Erm, no. You put it in a shoe box in the wardrobe, didn't you pick it up?"

"Erm, no!"

So, there's only almost £5k in a shoe box, inside another brown box along with another 50 odd boxes that all look the same winging it's way down the A1 on route to Hull that we can't get our hands on for almost 3 months!

"Ok, stay cool, no panic. The banks don't close for another hour or so, I'll rush down, get some cash out and buy some more."

Well, this all sounds simple in theory, until you realise that we had to order in our $$$$'s as it's not exactly high on the list of currencies held by travel agents in Newcastle. So, I rush to the bank and tell yhem' my story, no problem the say, how much do you need?

Can I have maybe £2000 to keep us going for a few weeks just till we get sorted - nee botha they say, enter your pin here.

Doh, wrong first time. Doh, wrong second time. Double doh, wrong third time! Card blocked and new pin being posted out to our house - WTF!!!?

I just had a complete memory blank, no idea what to do now. Banks closing in about 30 mins and we fly next morning.

We begged and borrowed as much as we could lay our hands on and went to every travel agent in Newcastle next morning to snap up every dollar we could buy.

So, here's my problem. Do I call the shipping company and let them know their driver is carrying our cash, do I call MAF or whoever in Auckland to tell them there's something hidden in a shoe box and it's no it's not a pair of muddy old trainers or do I just ride it out and hope we have a good Christmas!!??

All part of the fun eh, well that's what I keep telling myself anyway!!
way to go Eddie, lol, so glad you all got there safe, (told you i'd enjoy reading your threads), but I'm a worrier so I would have to inform them, cos, if they just happened to open that box spontaneously, found that money well......................... LOL
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I think theres a danger here of assuming that kiwis are as dishonest as the average brit.
If the average brit was as honset as a kiwi i think a lot of us might still be in the uk
Old Oct 10th 2010, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

oh mate you post had me but also full of sympathy! I am sure all will work out fine

If you are in Hamilton Labour Day weekend let me know as we will be down there too catching up with folk. A beer or three may not go amiss after the journey you've had
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
I honestly wouldnt worry about it eddie, when our boxes arrived they didnt open any.
Same! not one box opened.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
I think theres a danger here of assuming that kiwis are as dishonest as the average brit.
If the average brit was as honset as a kiwi i think a lot of us might still be in the uk
I think the average kiwi is as dishonest as the average brit. However I would prefer to say it the other way round, "that the average Kiwi is as honest as the average Brit" - as most people in both countries are fundamentally honest.

I don't think that Brits are any more dishonest than their counterparts in the rest of the world (with the possible exception of Bhutan!)

I don't think the relative honesty of the populations of the two countries is the reason for most British expats emigrating to NZ, it certainly had no bearing on my emigration.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue1234
way to go Eddie, lol, so glad you all got there safe, (told you i'd enjoy reading your threads), but I'm a worrier so I would have to inform them, cos, if they just happened to open that box spontaneously, found that money well......................... LOL
They would have a hell of a good party

& they could light it up with our 2 sets of Christmas lights while they play with my router & jig saw (all mysteriously vanished between our house in England & house here & were in boxes they had opened)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.