Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Roller coaster Hell that is year 3 in the making

Roller coaster Hell that is year 3 in the making

Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Roller coaster Hell that is year 3 in the making

Well, NZ has not exactly been kind to me, I am hoping I get a break soon.

In summary:

4 days after I arrived in 2013 My mum was diagnosed with cancer. She told me 6 weeks later (so's not to worry me) and died ten days after that. I didn't make it back in time. My plane landed the morning after she died.

6 months later my Dad announced he was getting married. I said I wasn't going, I couldn't afford another trip. Family argument, long and short of it, I went back again. a few months after that my uncle died of cancer. I didn't even know he was ill. That's the disadvantage of living so far away: no matter how hard you try, the lines of communication just aren't as solid as when you all live in the same country.

The job I came over to do (special needs teacher) didn't work out. (jobs recruited from overseas rarely do: how can you know what you are letting yourself in for when you haven't even set foot in their building?) In fact teaching didn't work out for me at all. Long story too but its just not structured the same as UK and the job I used to do doesn't exist here.

Forced career change. I did Personal Training qualification and set up business self employed as a personal trainer. That in itself is a stressful thing, without all this other stuff! I started this latest venture in April this year: early days and its still hard work.

Positives:
  • I now have Permanent residency with travel conditions removed. (Another costly application!)
  • I live in a beautiful country
  • I still have my wonderfully supportive husband who has been there for me through thick and thin
  • Despite our financial hardships at the moment, I still prefer my life here than in the UK. The crowds and high cost of living was difficult to handle.

Its all too easy to say 'that's it, I'm going back!'. Hell, I have thought that a million times.

Then I remind myself why I came here in the first place. Those reasons would still be in place even if I returned.

Life is for living. Many people say I am brave for all the bold steps I have made, and that I am still here battling it out. Life sends you curve balls but it is how you deal with those that makes you or breaks you. I have hit some real lows, trust me, but also some real highs. If I ever feel down I look around me at the beauty that i live amongst.

Be thankful for life, you get only one. So, make of it what you will, and don't waste time.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 7:28 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roller coaster Hell that is year 3 in the making

Wow what a crappy time you've had, but it sounds like you're making the best of it. Congratulations on the residency
Old Oct 1st 2015, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I recall reading your blog a while back - maybe a a year or so, and if it makes you feel any different, I do recall being quite envious of what you were doing in NZ (obviously not the factors around your family in UK, and work-related stuff).
I'm very pleased to hear you are keeping calm and carrying on.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

All the best for some better luck in the future.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 8:10 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you did have a crappy start but hopefully things are now falling into place for you.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Wetherallk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you this is keeping me positive about our potential move.. all the best
Old Oct 18th 2015, 4:45 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I sent you a PM M_and_M (try saying that really fast )
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

My god you've had it rough - so sorry for your losses. True what you say about curved balls and as they say, life is what happens whilst you are making plans. It's lovely to hear that you wouldn't want to move back; that is the sign of a successful migration. I'm sure things will continue to improve for you and good luck with the business. X