Now leaving NZ

Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:36 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Now leaving NZ

Originally Posted by crap coffee
feel pretty much the same.

Especially this morning while drinking cr@p coffee, reading this thread, makes me so sad. ..

I often ask myself... Is this the RIGHT PLACE for me?

Obviously,,, I know..I'd be miserable forever as long as I live here/NZ.. but Do I have any other choices?
God you sound like my daughter maybe you should get together and moan

joking joking x
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Now leaving NZ

Originally Posted by scubadoo
Hi all - we moved here in 2005. I am a research scientist and left Oxford to fill the skills shortage in NZ. Unfortunately there really is no science or skills shortage in NZ and so we are off. Nowhere is perfect and everywhere is different. There are things we will miss but if you cannot earn a decent living then there is no point in being in NZ. Earning only $50k a year for advanced medical research going into clinical trial is no good. The people I work with tell me that $50k is a good salary. Most people outside of my work in NZ think it is a poor salary! May be we will return one day but at the moment the UK, USA, Canada and Europe beckon.
< wee snip here - please place in classifieds>
We are looking forward to relatives, good roads, historic buildings, castles, warm sunny hols, twice the annual leave you get in NZ and more than twice the salary with much lower living costs. We'll continue jet skiing and scuba diving when we leave.
Hi ........your going we are coming....great to here your reason for the exodus is only salary based. We are heading to Hamilton...where are you leaving?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think you'll find their reasons for the difficult decision to return to the UK, after 5 years in NZ, was based on much more than just salary.

They were not based in Hamilton but in Dunedin. It would seem they are very busy with arranging their return as they have not posted here for the past 2 months now.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scubadoo
Hi all - we moved here in 2005. I am a research scientist and left Oxford to fill the skills shortage in NZ. Unfortunately there really is no science or skills shortage in NZ and so we are off. Nowhere is perfect and everywhere is different. There are things we will miss but if you cannot earn a decent living then there is no point in being in NZ. Earning only $50k a year for advanced medical research going into clinical trial is no good. The people I work with tell me that $50k is a good salary. Most people outside of my work in NZ think it is a poor salary! May be we will return one day but at the moment the UK, USA, Canada and Europe beckon.
< wee snip here - please place in classifieds>
We are looking forward to relatives, good roads, historic buildings, castles, warm sunny hols, twice the annual leave you get in NZ and more than twice the salary with much lower living costs. We'll continue jet skiing and scuba diving when we leave.
Hi
We too moved to NZ in 2005 and came back to the UK in 2007, like you salaries were a very big issue. I am a Lecturer and hubby HGV driver, we both worked but the salaries were so low, it meant we could not achieve the lifestyle we dreamed or had back in the UK, so after 2 years enough was enough. My wages back in the Uk reflect my years of doing degrees. It has been tough but not as bad a living on low wages with no way of life getting any easier in NZ. I wish you success
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:12 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonescapee

Why can't I share how good I find things and lend some hope to others who are thinking of making the move over that it isn't everyone living off gruel and beating stone for a living? Should I be ashamed of the fact that things are working out for me?
Better be careful or you'll be accused of being a happy clapper with your specs having a rosy hue to them! Good on you and well done. I've done well here too - my first job when I arrived here in 2005 (I'm a PA) had a salary of $45k and this year I'll earn around $70 - I get performance related bonuses. It's not huge money but there are families living on that figure and I earn every flipping cent of it at times! I tried years ago to tell people that if you have a good attitude and work hard here you'll get on but at the time I was accused of bragging so I don't bother much anymore.

I get really annoyed when I read that NZ is only good for people who've basically known nothing better! I grew up in the country, with a septic tank and our own well even Our home before we moved here was a small market-type town and I still miss my little cottage there.

Anyway, good luck to everyone making the move - there are loads and loads of people who've done very nicely here. You just don't hear so much about them.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Better be careful or you'll be accused of being a happy clapper with your specs having a rosy hue to them! Good on you and well done. I've done well here too - my first job when I arrived here in 2005 (I'm a PA) had a salary of $45k and this year I'll earn around $70 - I get performance related bonuses. It's not huge money but there are families living on that figure and I earn every flipping cent of it at times! I tried years ago to tell people that if you have a good attitude and work hard here you'll get on but at the time I was accused of bragging so I don't bother much anymore.

I get really annoyed when I read that NZ is only good for people who've basically known nothing better! I grew up in the country, with a septic tank and our own well even Our home before we moved here was a small market-type town and I still miss my little cottage there.

Anyway, good luck to everyone making the move - there are loads and loads of people who've done very nicely here. You just don't hear so much about them.

Nice post.
Well said Batty! Agree completely.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Default Re:NZ Futures

Well done, nice to see a positive update......cheers
Old Dec 30th 2010, 10:52 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
feel pretty much the same.

Especially this morning while drinking cr@p coffee, reading this thread, makes me so sad. ..

I often ask myself... Is this the RIGHT PLACE for me?

Obviously,,, I know..I'd be miserable forever as long as I live here/NZ.. but Do I have any other choices?
Yes, you do. I suspect they are really hard choices though.

Have you considered moving out of Welly?
Old Dec 31st 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

I am very glad that it worked for you. It does for some, but again it depends on what your lifestyle was like before you move. I was shouted down a little while ago for telling the truth about what NZ was like for us and have hardly been on here since. There are positives and negatives to all countries, it just depends whether it works for you and your family or not. It did not for us.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Brill post Batty!!
Old Dec 31st 2010, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
I am very glad that it worked for you. It does for some, but again it depends on what your lifestyle was like before you move. I was shouted down a little while ago for telling the truth about what NZ was like for us and have hardly been on here since. There are positives and negatives to all countries, it just depends whether it works for you and your family or not. It did not for us.
I think maybe one of the reasons people took exception to your post about leaving New Zealand was you headed it something along the lines of "How backward is NZ?". Not sure who died and made you decision maker in world terms of backward countries?

As you say there are negatives and positives for every country and indeed NZ works for some people and not others. It is also rather annoying to read people always complaining about negative things in NZ too. People also stop posting on the forum for being "shouted down" for being too positive - swings and roundabouts really.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dannigirl
I think maybe one of the reasons people took exception to your post about leaving New Zealand was you headed it something along the lines of "How backward is NZ?". Not sure who died and made you decision maker in world terms of backward countries?

As you say there are negatives and positives for every country and indeed NZ works for some people and not others. It is also rather annoying to read people always complaining about negative things in NZ too. People also stop posting on the forum for being "shouted down" for being too positive - swings and roundabouts really.
Yes you are right that was the forum and I still live by the views I had of the country. UK is certainly not backward just more forward thinking and embrace technology in my view. Live and let live
Old Jan 1st 2011, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Yes you are right that was the forum and I still live by the views I had of the country. UK is certainly not backward just more forward thinking and embrace technology in my view. Live and let live
I would be quite happy to see NZ go back more than 20 years when we really did live in the land of milk and honey.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:28 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I would be quite happy to see NZ go back more than 20 years when we really did live in the land of milk and honey.
Me thinks that will apply also to the UK and maybe a lot more Countries....
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 4:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I like your post Batts , mainly coz you came out here ( from Holland or Eire - can't remember which now ) with the Kiwi OH . Moved to Auckland & near to in-laws . Not Welly which was your preferred choice. Bought a house in 'the cheap seats' - yes , I remember the phrase and have worked very hard to get where you are today.

I think a BE update is in order from you m'lady.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.