It's time to leave

Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Ardern-crew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's time to leave

Well we arrived in 2004 on a two year work permit, but have now decided it is time to return home.

We have had a good time living here and we have done alright for ourselves. We have both worked hard and have good jobs, but we have decided as we are both nearly 50 we want to do what we like to do.

We enjoy travel but find it very limiting from NZ. One of our daughters has already returned to the UK and the other one told us she would follow when she was 18.

We have spent 2 out of the last 3 Christmas's in England and fitted back into British life with ease. Our parents aren't getting any younger, and i can't imagine having to pay out for flights etc to get back at a drop of a hat. I don't know when the prices of goods in NZ are going to come down but the cost of living is scary.

We came 9 years ago with a 20 foot container and a cat, sadly he is no longer with us but we will return with another 20 foot container a different cat and also our dog. We have no regrets, we have been, we have seen, we have done and we have had some great times, met some good friends.

But it isn't home.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's time to leave

Good luck with your move back home
Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I can fully relate to the limited travel opportunities here. We have been here a similar length of time to you and one daughter has already returned. Our youngest in 15 and we are in our mid 40s. We both feel that this should be our time to travel and really enjoy ourselves but it is just not possible here.

We feel we have done to death the usual places (ie Hanmer ect)
I hate the thought if this being "it" !!

Best of luck with your return - do you have jobs to go to - this is the major concern for us? What area will you go back to?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ardern-crew
Well we arrived in 2004 on a two year work permit, but have now decided it is time to return home.

We have had a good time living here and we have done alright for ourselves. We have both worked hard and have good jobs, but we have decided as we are both nearly 50 we want to do what we like to do.

We enjoy travel but find it very limiting from NZ. One of our daughters has already returned to the UK and the other one told us she would follow when she was 18.

We have spent 2 out of the last 3 Christmas's in England and fitted back into British life with ease. Our parents aren't getting any younger, and i can't imagine having to pay out for flights etc to get back at a drop of a hat. I don't know when the prices of goods in NZ are going to come down but the cost of living is scary.

We came 9 years ago with a 20 foot container and a cat, sadly he is no longer with us but we will return with another 20 foot container a different cat and also our dog. We have no regrets, we have been, we have seen, we have done and we have had some great times, met some good friends.

But it isn't home.
Know what you mean. Good luck eh? I thought NZ felt like home alas for many a reason it does not.....like you after quite a long time (2005 arrival for us). I would love to return to the UK but don't think I could cope with the madding crowds! May I ask where you will settle?

PS if my kids all do one back to the UK and I am still here in NZ I would follow irrespective of the crowds!!!
Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Ardern-crew is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your messages, we are planning to move just outside Lincoln, we have never been there before but we had never been to NZ either. I am a nurse so hopefully get a job, hubby will have a go at anything - postie, factory work anything. He is ex military. I think we are a bit nomadic and will always be looking for the next move!
We felt so at home and happy when we have been back for holidays, I just loved the busy and the quiet, the motorways, the trains, the buses, the snow, the old buildings, but can't keep going back every other year for holidays.
We have done quite a bit of research on Lincoln, it is 2 hours from our parents. Great schools and 6th form colleges. Our daughter has applied for Lincoln College to do a course. There are numerous villages surrounding Lincoln which look very affordable and accessible.

Last edited by Ardern-crew; Feb 16th 2013 at 8:44 am. Reason: pressed send by mistake!
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future

Good luck to you. We will be off too - don't know where, or even when, but I'm pretty certain that I'm not going to end up here.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

But it isn't home.
Hi there and welcome to BE.

I see you arrived around the same time as me. Have we (cyber) met before ? I feel as though we may have posted with each other way back when.

I can relate to a lot of what you write. There again we arrived around the same time as you .

You may also find the MBTTUK forum helpful.

I think it's just as tough to move on from NZ as to arrive in NZ. So you have my very best wishes for this and I would be pleased to know how you get on, either on the NZ updates or via the MBTTUK forum.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Good luck with your move back home
+1

Just one question; are you now NZ citizens, or didn't you bother with that?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

All the best Ardern-crew.

Have a fab time back in the UK!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
+1

Just one question; are you now NZ citizens, or didn't you bother with that?
TommyLuck - we're in a similar situation, feel free to pm me whenever you want. You have a fab outlook on life. You'll be right.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 8:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your messages, we are planning to move just outside Lincoln, we have never been there before but we had never been to NZ either. I am a nurse so hopefully get a job, hubby will have a go at anything - postie, factory work anything. He is ex military. I think we are a bit nomadic and will always be looking for the next move!
We felt so at home and happy when we have been back for holidays, I just loved the busy and the quiet, the motorways, the trains, the buses, the snow, the old buildings, but can't keep going back every other year for holidays.
We have done quite a bit of research on Lincoln, it is 2 hours from our parents. Great schools and 6th form colleges. Our daughter has applied for Lincoln College to do a course. There are numerous villages surrounding Lincoln which look very affordable and accessible.
Excellent choice Lincoln, we lived just a bit north, Market Rasen, and in Lincoln, plenty to see and do, plenty of historic sites, concers, there is a theatre and cinema, excellent market open every day includes a traditional market hall, good public transport, easy access to the coast, and in the Wolds you have some lovely villages and scenery.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Good luck with your move home

We too have finally decided to move back, we arrived here in 2007 and plan to leave in Oct this year
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:10 am
Iwannagohome.

pintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nicepintaguiness-pickledegg is just really nice

BE Newbie and hope I post this correctly! Have joined the forum as finding myself torn between head and heart. Moved to NZ in June 2008 and have not been able to afford to visit the UK. I have worked constantly as a nurse whilst OH has worked seasonally and its been a struggle at times. Have ended up in debt several times when we swore we wouldn't but that's the way its's gone. Quality of life is reasonable, weather is brilliant but it's just not home. Will be returning next year for extended holiday (staying with parents and dragging our two kids with us) and will rent our NZ house out for a while to cover the mortgage. My only fear is being even more confused than I am now. I'm wondering if this is an age thing (mid 40s), an expat thing or just the novelty wearing off after being here five years? Biggest problem has been the OH's work. Too many questions, possibilities, yeh but, no buts, etc.......Good luck and all the very best to you
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg
BE Newbie and hope I post this correctly! Have joined the forum as finding myself torn between head and heart. Moved to NZ in June 2008 and have not been able to afford to visit the UK. I have worked constantly as a nurse whilst OH has worked seasonally and its been a struggle at times. Have ended up in debt several times when we swore we wouldn't but that's the way its's gone. Quality of life is reasonable, weather is brilliant but it's just not home. Will be returning next year for extended holiday (staying with parents and dragging our two kids with us) and will rent our NZ house out for a while to cover the mortgage. My only fear is being even more confused than I am now. I'm wondering if this is an age thing (mid 40s), an expat thing or just the novelty wearing off after being here five years? Biggest problem has been the OH's work. Too many questions, possibilities, yeh but, no buts, etc.......Good luck and all the very best to you
I agree about the "is this an age thing!" heading back in about 3 weeks and am really hoping for the answer to be abundantly clear! I'm not holding my breath though.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg
BE Newbie and hope I post this correctly! Have joined the forum as finding myself torn between head and heart.
Tiz fine, though you may want to start your own thread about this.

Welcome to this wee NZ forum . I think most of us expats around the world have had or are having this torn head/heart thing at one point or another ....or several times down through the years for that matter.

Is it an age thing ? Not sure. I always thought it was because of family back in the UK but I have none there now. So maybe it's summat else that prevents some of us totally settling in the country we chose .

I've no kids but you may find THIS THREAD interesting given how you are feeling .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.