Home!

Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home!

well, it's been a while (5 weeks ackshully) - we're home!

flights from Akl to Man were fine, though frankly, I'm never EVER undertaking such a thing with a 3 year old and an 11 week old again

upon reflection, unemigrating is a hell of a lot harder than emigrating in the first place!

no regrets, but jeez it's been tough… improving now - we got the keys for somewhere to live at the weekend, and our container turned up yesterday - only 5 (yes FIVE) weeks after leaving Auckland!!

still no jobs for either of us, but it looks like I've picked up some contract work from next week… i've got an application in for a proper job too, so keeping fingers crossed for that! We've done our sums, and it looks likely that OH will be staying at home looking after the little ones for a year or two as I've more chance of getting a half-decent job here than he has - he prob needs to retrain, or we need to head to Manchester or London for his work, which we don't really want to do…

we've been staying with various family and friends since we got back - it's been lovely catching up with everyone, and in many ways like we never left.

The weather has been stunning (specially for cumbria ) and has mostly been sunny and warm. We've been out walking most days - a few days after we got back we headed out at half-past stupid (thanks to the jetlag and baby!) and walked round one of the local tarns - it's surrounded by beech woodland and the colour of the leaves was stunning - we were back in time for the bluebells too, and the smell wafted gently on the breeze…

We really have been wondering why on earth we ever thought we might be able to improve on life somewhere else!

We had a week of euphoria on getting back, then the inevitable crash happened… what have we done? no jobs, no home, two kids aaaargh….

It will get better though - we've got a roof over our heads now, and hopefully soon we'll be able to pay for it too

right, enough rambling! hope you're all well, and it's not too chilly down there!

will hopefully have broadband some time next week, so maybe see you again then!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home!

Glad you got home safe and sound......bloody hard work travelling all that way with two small children, but it must be nice to be back home and settling back in.

Good luck on the job front
Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:06 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoof
well, it's been a while (5 weeks ackshully) - we're home!

flights from Akl to Man were fine, though frankly, I'm never EVER undertaking such a thing with a 3 year old and an 11 week old again

upon reflection, unemigrating is a hell of a lot harder than emigrating in the first place!

no regrets, but jeez it's been tough… improving now - we got the keys for somewhere to live at the weekend, and our container turned up yesterday - only 5 (yes FIVE) weeks after leaving Auckland!!

still no jobs for either of us, but it looks like I've picked up some contract work from next week… i've got an application in for a proper job too, so keeping fingers crossed for that! We've done our sums, and it looks likely that OH will be staying at home looking after the little ones for a year or two as I've more chance of getting a half-decent job here than he has - he prob needs to retrain, or we need to head to Manchester or London for his work, which we don't really want to do…

we've been staying with various family and friends since we got back - it's been lovely catching up with everyone, and in many ways like we never left.

The weather has been stunning (specially for cumbria ) and has mostly been sunny and warm. We've been out walking most days - a few days after we got back we headed out at half-past stupid (thanks to the jetlag and baby!) and walked round one of the local tarns - it's surrounded by beech woodland and the colour of the leaves was stunning - we were back in time for the bluebells too, and the smell wafted gently on the breeze…

We really have been wondering why on earth we ever thought we might be able to improve on life somewhere else!

We had a week of euphoria on getting back, then the inevitable crash happened… what have we done? no jobs, no home, two kids aaaargh….

It will get better though - we've got a roof over our heads now, and hopefully soon we'll be able to pay for it too

right, enough rambling! hope you're all well, and it's not too chilly down there!

will hopefully have broadband some time next week, so maybe see you again then!
Hi from another returner!!

Good to hear you're settling back in to UK life, hope all goes well on the job front and you continue to enjoy this unbelievable summer we're having
No regrets here either!!.....
B x
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Bluebells.

How lovely to hear from you & thanks for letting us all know how you are getting on . It's helpful in a way ,for people looking in ,to know that if NZ or any other country for that matter doesn't do it for you as a family then you can always return.
From what I've read over the years, it does seem that it can be harder to make a return than to leave. Fair play to you for knowing where your heart's lay and making the decision to do something about it.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnB
Hi from another returner!!

Good to hear you're settling back in to UK life, hope all goes well on the job front and you continue to enjoy this unbelievable summer we're having
No regrets here either!!.....
B x

Ditto what she said!!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 1:06 pm
Banned

Amiri is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done on making it back, it's not easy getting set up again after leaving NZ.

You're very brave to be returning to the UK in the middle of such a deep recession, I hope you find suitable work soon.

Be prepared for the reverse culture shock, don't consider ping ponging whilst you're going through it - give yourself time to enjoy being back and easing into the swing of things.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:37 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stoof,
Glad to hear you got back safely and hope it all starts to fall into place soon.
Must admit I'm starting to feel a little homesick hearing about the Lakes in summer. I used to go every year with the dog and we'd have a little bonding time just the two of us exploring. It wasn't the same when a friend tagged along with us and he didn't get my undivided attention
Used to love the area round Wast Water and Ennerdale.

for the job application. Best of luck!

Sue x
Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

sjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Stoof,

Glad to hear that you're settling back in. As a fellow 2nd July 2008er, we have still to make the crossing. My job was pulled two weeks before we were due to fly, and as we had agreed that one of us had to have some sort of income coming in before we moved we had to delay everthing! Thank goodness the shippers hadn't come in yet.

We had a nightmare trying to sort everything out i.e kids back into school, no jobs in the UK, no Xmas presents organised as we we were due to fly just after so I had only a couple of small items for the kids with a promise of a dog once we were settled! Explaining to friends & family that our plans were delayed and so on.

We have now both found jobs in the UK, the kids are doing well, the flights are on hold and we plan to turn them into returns and have a holiday later in the year whilst activating our visas. This will give us more breathing space as we continue to look for work in NZ and see what comes our way.

Sorry to have hijacked somewhat, but even with the best laid plans & intentions we had on submitting our EOIs 2 years ago, it just goes to show that you never know what is around the corner and where the future lies.

Best of luck with your continued settling in, and please continue to keep us updated.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

well, happy new year!

this is my goodbye - i've not had chance to post for such a long time - missed you, but i think i need to delete my expats bookmark now!

we've been home for 8 months… it really has been tough, but we've made absolutely the right decision… i've been working full time on a weekly contract since july, and this week have managed to land a full time, well paid job which will pay enough to keep us all, and we can finally stop dipping into our savings to get by on the basics (good job really, there's barely anything left!)

our little Kiwi will turn one at the end of Feb - can't believe that a year ago, i was the size of a house and pottering my way through a hot kiwi summer…

his big sister is now broad cumbrian, with an occasional kiwi twang, which makes us all chuckle… she's a happy little girl again who is loving nursery and enjoying spending time with her extended family and friends, and quite often says how happy she is now we're not in nz any more (though she does miss our best mates, and wanted to go for a bbq last weekend!!)

OH still hasn't got work, but hopefully with my new job, he'll be able to work out what he can retrain in… after i messed my interview up on tuesday, we really thought we were going to have to head to manchester for work for us both, so it was a HUUUUUGE relief when they called to offer me the job! (not that there's anything wrong with manchester of course - it's just it's not where we want to be!)

just need to find somewhere to live, buy a car and sort out a school for september now!

phew

hope everyone's well

good luck to you all!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoof
well, happy new year!

this is my goodbye - i've not had chance to post for such a long time - missed you, but i think i need to delete my expats bookmark now!

we've been home for 8 months… it really has been tough, but we've made absolutely the right decision… i've been working full time on a weekly contract since july, and this week have managed to land a full time, well paid job which will pay enough to keep us all, and we can finally stop dipping into our savings to get by on the basics (good job really, there's barely anything left!)

our little Kiwi will turn one at the end of Feb - can't believe that a year ago, i was the size of a house and pottering my way through a hot kiwi summer…

his big sister is now broad cumbrian, with an occasional kiwi twang, which makes us all chuckle… she's a happy little girl again who is loving nursery and enjoying spending time with her extended family and friends, and quite often says how happy she is now we're not in nz any more (though she does miss our best mates, and wanted to go for a bbq last weekend!!)

OH still hasn't got work, but hopefully with my new job, he'll be able to work out what he can retrain in… after i messed my interview up on tuesday, we really thought we were going to have to head to manchester for work for us both, so it was a HUUUUUGE relief when they called to offer me the job! (not that there's anything wrong with manchester of course - it's just it's not where we want to be!)

just need to find somewhere to live, buy a car and sort out a school for september now!

phew

hope everyone's well

good luck to you all!
Glad to hear you are all settling well, back home. Good luck with your future x
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:42 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Stoof!
I'd wondered how you were getting on.
Glad to hear you're settling in well and congratulations on the new job
Great that the little one is happy again.
Sue x
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Stoof How lovely of you to think of us and come back to update.

You know me. I love happy endings and I don't care where in the world that takes place.
One life & all that.

Do pop in from time to time to say Hi or perhaps help someone out on the Moving Back to the UK forum. As you know, returning can be more tough than leaving in the first place.

All the very, very best to you and
Good Luck for the future.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Stoof

Lovely to read your update congrats on your new job your OH will find work soon. Good luck and nice to see you are all happy

Angela x
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Stoof,

Glad to hear all is well with you & the family & that everything is starting to slot back into place.

I've had a tough few months with homesickness, somedays I love it here, others I just want to return to the UK.

All the very best for the future
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that you have settled back into UK life. I think it is really valuable to know that it can be really tough (to settle in), but deep down you just know when it is the right decision.

Really pleased for your little one being so happy to be home!

Best wishes for you and your family in the future and your hubby gets work soon.

Dannigirl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.