Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Hello from the roller coaster.

Hello from the roller coaster.

Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:25 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from the roller coaster.

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I got turned down for one job which was part-time, 20 hours a week, because I was advised that the person I would be working for was difficult and the interviewer didn't like my conflict resolution skills. I might just have dodged a bullet there.

I got turned down for another job, which was also part-time, 30 hours a week as the successful candidate had a more relevant background for the job than I did. OK, fair play.

The other job I got interviewed for with 12 hours notice of the interview taking place. They phoned at 3pm one day, apologising for the short notice but asking me to come to the interview at 3pm the next day, which I did. To date I haven't heard back from them from three weeks ago. I assume it's a no, then. No loss, would have been a long drive there and back.

So, for Friday week when I have an interview scheduled for a different organisation.
I'll keep everything crossed for you.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I'll keep everything crossed for you.
Me too, I can't imagine how frustrating it must be.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:32 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Pippa and Britz. Thank you for your good luck wishes. You are both very kind.

The job interview is a week on Thursday, not Friday. I'm waiting on an e-mail to confirm the exact time but I've agreed to go in the morning.

Watch this space.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 19th 2013 at 2:39 am. Reason: Needed to make a correction !
Old Aug 19th 2013, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Pippa and Britz. Thank you for your good luck wishes. You are both very kind.

The job interview is a week on Thursday, not Friday. I'm waiting on an e-mail to confirm the exact time but I've agreed to go in the morning.

Watch this space.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

So, for Friday week when I have an interview scheduled for a different organisation.
Hoping you have better luck this time SS.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 8:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

BoJangles, thank you.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 8:55 am
Just Joined

LabradorLady is an unknown quantity at this point

This really resonated.
Our only daughter partner and new baby live in NZ and want us ( both early 60 's) to join them in a year or two, when we will have retired. We talk of little else. At a distance, the potential future health care issues and all the things we take for granted here, seem worrying, as does the reported higher cost of living. We should be reasonably well placed financially, and don't want to live on top of them, just near enough to be active grandparents and live our third age near our only family. It's a huge leap of faith at our age! Has anyone else done this in their sixties? Any experiences, news and views welcome!
Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

dotty3 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for posting this. We have been here just over 2 years, and I think I must be suffering this homesickness thing. I never thought that I would, we had been trying to leave UK for so long before we came here. We have done lots of travelling and new experiences here, but just at the moment, miss my long term friends, british pubs and even a bigger population. G, I loved the space and quiet when we came. It is a beautiful country, there is no doubt, but I just have the feeling that I cannot feel like it is home. My husband is completely fed up with me, and says I just have a negative attitude, but I don't think that is it. I have been beginning to think I was going mad, I feel so unhappy; I do have good days, but it doesn't last. However, your post has given me hope. We are looking to buy a house (rented and travelled since we got here), and looking for small lifestyle place. Hubbie says if I can just give this a go, maybe I will feel better, and reading your post it sounds like maybe it will.

If it doesn't I don't know what we do next, cos hubbie does not want to go back to UK.. not sure I do either, maybe it is just NZ. Has anyone been unhappy in NZ and then moved onto somewhere else and settled?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dotty3

Thank you for posting this. We have been here just over 2 years, and I think I must be suffering this homesickness thing. I never thought that I would, we had been trying to leave UK for so long before we came here. We have done lots of travelling and new experiences here, but just at the moment, miss my long term friends, british pubs and even a bigger population. G, I loved the space and quiet when we came. It is a beautiful country, there is no doubt, but I just have the feeling that I cannot feel like it is home. My husband is completely fed up with me, and says I just have a negative attitude, but I don't think that is it. I have been beginning to think I was going mad, I feel so unhappy; I do have good days, but it doesn't last. However, your post has given me hope. We are looking to buy a house (rented and travelled since we got here), and looking for small lifestyle place. Hubbie says if I can just give this a go, maybe I will feel better, and reading your post it sounds like maybe it will.

If it doesn't I don't know what we do next, cos hubbie does not want to go back to UK.. not sure I do either, maybe it is just NZ. Has anyone been unhappy in NZ and then moved onto somewhere else and settled?
Hi Dotty, I reckon the last part of your question would be a good subject to post on BE as a separate thread. Homesickness is awful, and I still get twangs of it, and it may come back who knows? The way I dealt with it was to say to myself, "I'm here for now" and that changed things for me, and I became determined to make the best of things, whilst here. I am settled now, but no-one can tell what my future feelings will be. I don't know whether I would want to go back to the UK either, it's a hard one. I really hope you get better days, if not you'll have to talk to 'him indoors' but pm me also if you just want to vent or chat some days. Take care.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Thank you
Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dotty3
Thank you
Just realised that you arrived in NZ the very same time I did, May 2011.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Might have been on the same plane! We took time out to travel which has been great but perhaps slowed down the settling in process
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I came in here to have another re-read of this update and those by Bourbon and Dannigirl as they are candid on life experiences and that makes them uplifting
On some days it helps to know that there are others out there with similar thought processes as yourself and so you are not alone or the only one to think as you do.

Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
I came in here to have another re-read of this update and those by Bourbon and Dannigirl as they are candid on life experiences and that makes them uplifting
On some days it helps to know that there are others out there with similar thought processes as yourself and so you are not alone or the only one to think as you do.

Thanks
Cheers Bevs.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, Boots at Fosse Park....now I'm really homesick

Lovely lovely post, so pleased for you.