Heading Home

Old Oct 6th 2012, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

maddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to all
Default Heading Home

I was only directed to this site a few months back and have found it very helpful. It is the well balanced posts, views, opinions and advise that really help. Thankfully we are all different and we choose our own direction, it is those who acknowledge this who help the most. We base our decisions on the reality we gain through our experience - for some NZ becomes home and that is great, for others like myself and my family the future is returning to the UK and that is great too.

On returning home for a month we found that the UK had not deteriorated into a state of chaos, with no jobs, no hope and no sunshine, it was the same UK facing the same challenges as every other developed country. (You also forget how stunningly green and beautiful the UK countryside is.) We were not sure how we would feel and it was quite surprising how good it did feel. It was the connection with people, the conversations, the laughter and just feeling at ease and not having to give every once of your self just to fit in. (Something we have had to do since February 2011.) It was so good to hear my husband bantering and laughing - we both noted how we were aware of the sound of each other laughing a lot!
We started life in NZ in 2009 renting in Sumner. We left Sumner at a specific time on a specific day in Feb 2011. We could not return. Like many in CHCH we went through something we never want to go through again.

Rural NZ has been our home ever since and for us opportunities have been very limited - we have survived but we have not been living. No matter how much effort you put into a small rural community (we participate in all community events and my husband has done lots of volunteer work for the community), it does take years to be accepted and I know that can be true of any town in any country but it does not make life any easier. We cannot wait forever and we have been treading water for some time.
We do not regret making the move to NZ, we have had experiences we will never forget and they have provided us with some good memories as well as the obvious traumatic one.
We feel we are on the road to home!
Pleased I was directed to this site - a bit late in the day for us but still very helpful.
Many Thanks.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading Home

It's always good to hear from a satisfied customer . This site can be a real lifeline for some of us.

Very happy to hear that you have settled back into life in Blighty. Life is too short to be unhappy, so you have obviously done the right thing for you. Beautifully balanced post. I wish you continued happiness.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

A belated Welcome Back. Agree about the banter, fitting in easily and the beauty of the countryside. Great to be back...don't care if I never fly out of UK again .
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, from a post I made a few weeks ago we felt much the same. We have been back in UK 4 weeks and it feels good. I have the odd "wobble" but that is mainly about missing my ex-colleagues and job, I am just so happy to be near my family again. I hope you settle back into British life as quickly as we did (and isn't Tesco's wonderful?!!) Good luck, Bevissa
Old Oct 18th 2012, 6:45 am
Just Joined

maddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to all

It is good to hear about the happy returns and I am sure it can only get easier - we are back in NZ packing and saying good bye.
When we returned to the UK for my interview and the extended stay it just felt right - so we know we are making the best decision for our family. We will be home for a big family and friends Christmas - we have also planned to spend Easter break in the South of France with good friends at the wonderful cost of £560 for all four of us! (That is for a whole week including travel & accommodation).
I cannot believe I am looking forward to TESCO - but I am!