First Update

Old May 16th 2014, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice
Default First Update

I've been here 13 months and have absolutely loved living in Christchurch, for all its problems it is one beautiful place to be and within reach of so many others. I have been to Kaikoura, Hanmer Springs, Nelson/Mapua/Abel Tasman, Lake Coleridge, Otira/Arthur's Pass, Marlborough, Wellington, Hawke's Bay, Bay of Plenty, the Banks Peninsula and my favourite little Lyttelton since I arrived, with more to come. I have seen the All Blacks and Crusaders, William and Kate and met two mayors. I have seen the CBD red zone come down and buildings go up, seen a cone or two and hit many potholes . I have been woken by aftershocks and swayed side to side on the 6th floor last August, but not had a serious quake which is good for so many people. In 2 weeks I run the Chch half marathon. I love NZ, there are many fantastic people here (pakeha, maori, pacific islanders, Aussies, expats, etc.) and aside from March/April here in Chch the weather isn't too bad either.

I came primarily to get involved in the rebuild using my geoscience skills, and I am very pleased to say that after a long wait I finally secured a job as a Spatial Analyst at SCIRT (seconded from Jacobs SKM) yesterday, starting on Monday. The job is a 3-month one initially, hopefully to be extended at least to 6 months, working on transferring maps of rebuilt infrastructure to the council. I am stoked. Technically I am starting for 2 months, with work time remaining on my working holiday visa, but with a medical in the system and police certificate at the ready to get a new visa.

I can also offer encouragement to anyone who comes here for something and it doesn't come quickly - stick at it, kia kaha, and it will come .
Old May 16th 2014, 6:31 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Update

great update, glad you are enjoying yourself
Old May 16th 2014, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Great update, so glad everything is going to so well for you.

You have seen more of NZ than we have in our over 5 years, we keep saying we are going to travel around but then go to Aus or something.

I will see more one day
Old May 17th 2014, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

I promised myself I would travel around as much as I could, given that I initially came for 12 months. If I end up staying for a much longer period I may slow down a bit on the travel.
Old May 17th 2014, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to Auk,CHCH,Palmy and Papamoa LOL that is bad.
I don't blame you though if I had been only been coming for a short time I would have done the same.

We are looking at hiring a camper van down the road and touring the South Island
Old May 17th 2014, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

You should definitely do that, campervans are so the way to travel around here! A truly magnificent island too.

Incidentally Taranaki is on my to visit list, but probably not for a while yet.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

It's been a while since I posted here, but things are going well. I am set to be at SCIRT for the remainder of its programme through to December 2016, and as a result have a permanent contract with my employer (Jacobs NZ) which has enabled me to move on to a Work to Residence (Accredited Employer) visa. Annoyingly, they removed my profession from the LTSSL between me agreeing the extension in principle and actually getting the offer from Jacobs, but it's good to have the other option!

I continue to love Christchurch, the South Island and NZ and wish you all a very merry Christmas and happy new year with every blessing.

Chris